Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCAA Division I Baseball Championship Bracket...

Re: NCAA Division I Baseball Championship Bracket...

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And then a kid who hasn't started a game all year for Vandy has only allowed 2 hits through 8 shutout innings thus far. Gotta love Ritchie Goodenow.

It appears the "if necessary" game will be necessary. I'll be here...
    Who will Vandy pitch? Louisville will likely pitch Royse, their best pitcher, who has been sick all weekend.

If Royse goes, I feel good about Louisville's chances. If he can't, I expect another game like today's.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Who will Vandy pitch? Louisville will likely pitch Royse, their best pitcher, who has been sick all weekend.

If Royse goes, I feel good about Louisville's chances. If he can't, I expect another game like today's.
    Talk after the game is that it will likely be Grayson Garvin. Another soft-tossing type, lefty, to try to counter UL's lefty power. Worked today, so...

Garvin did throw 4 on Friday though. I think it may be 9 guys for an inning a piece, to be honest. I'd say everybody but Gray, Goodenow, and Jack Armstrong will be available for at least a batter or two.

Corbin and Derek Johnson (VU's pitching coach -- one of the best I've ever seen, btw) have had a knack for getting a long-shot type performance out of pitchers in these tourney situations. Today's was certainly one of those. I expected Goodenow to be OK, but not for 9 and not making it look as easy as he did. The kid was pretty remarkable today.

I heard the Royse thing today. Sounds like it's almost definite he will try and go tomorrow.

Nothing in the world beats tournament baseball. Nothing.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Nothing in the world beats tournament baseball. Nothing.
    The strategy and uncertainty involved in today's game will be great. Will Royse be effective after being on shelf for so long with illness? Will Louisville be able to hit another soft tosser? Will Louisville benefit from the return of Coach McDonnell? Who will Vandy pitch and will they be effective on little rest?

It all makes for a great regional championship game.

The strategy and uncertainty involved in today's game will be great. Will Royse be effective after being on shelf for so long with illness? Will Louisville be able to hit another soft tosser? Will Louisville benefit from the return of Coach McDonnell? Who will Vandy pitch and will they be effective on little rest?

It all makes for a great regional championship game.
    None of my "sources" know anything about who Vandy will throw today. I'm not sure they'll make up their minds before gametime. Well, they have to have a lineup in 30 minutes before gametime, I think.

Winner gets Florida State, right? In Louisville if it's the Cards, and in Tallahassee (presumably) if it's the 'Dores.

1-0 VU through 6. This is baseball on the edge. Royce got 3 straight K's with the bases loaded in the 5th. And Garvin has been great. 1 hit through 6.

1-0 VU through 6. This is baseball on the edge. Royce got 3 straight K's with the bases loaded in the 5th. And Garvin has been great. 1 hit through 6.
    Jeff Arnold drives in the tying run for Louisville with two outs in the 9th. Now bases loaded for Andrew Clark with two outs and the score tied at two. What a terrific game!
    Last edited by joshnky; 06-07-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Jeff Arnold drives in the tying run for Louisville with two outs in the 9th. Now bases loaded for Andrew Clark with two outs and the score tied at two. What a terrific game!
    That was some of the most compelling stuff I've ever seen. Every once in a while you get treated to a sporting event that reminds you why you love competition. Tonight was one of those nights.

I had a feeling both teams were doing to grit their teeth and grind on each other pretty hard, and that's what happened.

Just like last year, even though they're both radically different teams, the margin between the two clubs is razor thin. If they played 99 times, it might end in a tie.

Louisville's top guys are better than Vandy's but Vandy's depth is better. I think Vandy is slightly better coached, but that may just be personal bias on my part.

I feel as bad for Louisville as I did for Vandy at the end of last year's series.

Nonetheless, go Dores! Beat Noles!

Some more great pics from last night:

http://vucommodores.cstv.com/view.gal?id=70478

Updated TV maps and schedule for the games this weekend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?page=maps0612

Tough loss for my Commodores today. Walk-off jobber for FSU in the 9th. Ugh.

I'd say "crushing" loss, but after last weekend, I'm not sure they can be crushed. But coming back from 6-0 to take 2 different leads and then losing is tough.

Congratulations, South Carolina!

Turn Off Ads?