Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadspin: Intern Horrors: Welsh outburst on Eric Davis bobblehead night

Deadspin: Intern Horrors: Welsh outburst on Eric Davis bobblehead night

http://deadspin.com/5552517/

Anyway, it's Eric Davis bobblehead night and #44 himself stops in the booth to be interviewed during an inning. Eric was kind of enough to sign a bunch of the miniature statues for everybody in the booth. Well…somehow at the end of the game (probably because the producer snagged about 10 to sell on e-bay), Reds' mustachioed announcer Chris Welsh was left without an autographed bobblehead, which prompted an angry tirade about how the "f***ing interns" better make sure he has one or he would get us fired. Dropping F bombs in front of fellow announcer George Grande, who wouldn't even say "Damn" in reading nightly promos for "The Best Sports Show Period," was certainly frowned upon, by the way.

For some reason, this doesn't surprise me about Welsh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deadspin: Intern Horrors: A Reds Broadcaster Does His Best To Ruin Eric Davis...

Probably should change thread title.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Re: Deadspin: Intern Horrors: A Reds Broadcaster Does His Best To Ruin Eric Davis...

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Probably should change thread title.
    Title wouldn't fit.

Mods feel free to change it.

The Reds are in a tie for first place and we are reading about an incident years ago about Chris Welsh and bobblehead dolls.

Right on!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Don't think it's a big deal. And I know you didn't do it intentionally.

Best part is that he did it in front of George. lol
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The Reds are in a tie for first place and we are reading about an incident years ago about Chris Welsh and bobblehead dolls.

Right on!!!
    Thought it was an interesting story.
    Last edited by ochre; 06-01-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: deleted unnecessary comment

I don't think that this intern understood what it meant to be an intern. Sounds like he's the whiny one, not Welsh.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I was an intern for a big radio station here in Atlanta 15 years ago. Getting lambasted by the "talent" is par for the course. It happens to everyone.

One things for sure (at least in my mind).

I just can't envision anybody bothering to make something up about Chris Welsh.

What'd be next? A nasty rumor about Dan Billardello?
    School's out. What did you expect?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Thought it was an interesting story.
    Let the record show that I didn't take it THERE. At all. I could care less about that type of stuff especially in terms of sport.

I think this article on deadspin is hilarious as well. Fiery Welshie losing his cool in front of G. Grande
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Deadspin: Intern Horrors: Welsh outburst on Eric Davis bobblehead night

I was an intern for the Bengals back in 2005. The only person who blasted us was Katie Blackburn and Troy Brown (Mike's kids).

Marvin Lewis couldn't have been nicer and a lot of the players were great to us.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    One things for sure (at least in my mind).

I just can't envision anybody bothering to make something up about Chris Welsh.

What'd be next? A nasty rumor about Dan Billardello?
    When I was in high school, I started a Dann Billardello fan club. It was in St. Louis and had 26 members, which I consider remarkable.

It started because at Cardinal game that I and my friends were at, Dann hit 16 foul balls in one at bat against Dave Van Ohlen for a 22 pitch AB. He eventually grounded out to Ken Oberkfell at third. We were all so impressed by this AB, that we started a fan club for him.

I wrote him a few times, telling him about and asking for autographed pictures and stuff, but he never wrote back. The next season, I saw him on the field before the game, called him over and asked why he never responded to his Fan Club. He replied, "Oh, you're that guy." Then he said he thought it was a joke, and it made him the butt of many jokes in the clubhouse.

Anyway, it's not a nasty rumor, but it's something about Dann.

(By the way, my avatar on this site used to be his 1984 Donruss Card.)

Re: Deadspin: Intern Horrors: Welsh outburst on Eric Davis bobblehead night

How old is Chris Welsh? 5?

Grown men and their dolls, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    When I was in high school, I started a Dann Billardello fan club. It was in St. Louis and had 26 members, which I consider remarkable.

It started because at Cardinal game that I and my friends were at, Dann hit 16 foul balls in one at bat against Dave Van Ohlen for a 22 pitch AB. He eventually grounded out to Ken Oberkfell at third. We were all so impressed by this AB, that we started a fan club for him.

I wrote him a few times, telling him about and asking for autographed pictures and stuff, but he never wrote back. The next season, I saw him on the field before the game, called him over and asked why he never responded to his Fan Club. He replied, "Oh, you're that guy." Then he said he thought it was a joke, and it made him the butt of many jokes in the clubhouse.

Anyway, it's not a nasty rumor, but it's something about Dann.

(By the way, my avatar on this site used to be his 1984 Donruss Card.)
    That's a fabulous story. Thank you.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was an intern for a big radio station here in Atlanta 15 years ago. Getting lambasted by the "talent" is par for the course. It happens to everyone.
    Yep. In my opinion, the intern did screw up by not securing a signed bobble head for Welsh. Those are exactly the type of responsibilities that an intern has. Welsh actually had a right to be mad. But then again, I have heard many far, far worse "talent tantrum" stories than this one.

Turn Off Ads?