107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

96 89.72%
  • No

7 6.54%
  • Undecided/neutral

4 3.74%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice Rolen article.. anyone regret the trade now?

Nice Rolen article.. anyone regret the trade now?

First nice article on Rolen, yes it's fluff, but still a good read

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/sp...l/02rolen.html

“You know W.W.J.D., what would Jesus do? Here, it’s what would Scott do?” Reds outfielder Jonny Gomes said.

I don't expect Rolen to finish the season leading the league in HR, but he's been a great middle order of the batter.

In contrast, Zach Stewart is off to a rocky start. At AA: 6.02 ERA, 43IP, 48 hits allowed, 19 BB allowed. Sure, he will probably get better, but he's not looking like a sure thing right now.

Thought I'd add a poll to see what the board thinks of the trade now.. Not to rub it in or anything, just curious..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nice Rolen article.. anyone regret the trade now?

Don't regret this trade. Of course not.

Not acquiring a starter in the offseason, though. That one hurts.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Don't regret this trade. Of course not.

Not acquiring a starter in the offseason, though. That one hurts.
    Chapman?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Chapman?
    Well, I was thinking a starter for this season.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Well, I was thinking a starter for this season.
    It would be nice, but considering that the Reds were commited to Arroyo and Harang unless they wanted to give them away, that only leaves 3 slots.

Bailey was out of options, Ceuto pretty much has to be in the rotation too.
    I'm glad there was a slot for Leake.

I guess they could've put Homer in the pen.. but IMO, it's worth letting Homer take the 5th slot to see if he's worth keeping beyond this year.. Part of the pain of a rebuilding year.

I was hoping for an OFer and a bullpen arm this offseason, but I guess Walt ran out of money. Hernandez and Caberra are looking like good moves so far.

Really, investing payflex in Rolen seems pretty smart right now. I can live with Homer if it means being able to get Rolen.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I love this quote from Gomes:
    He’s 6-5, 250, and he looks right through you when he wants to. It’s kind of like when you’re 8 years old and you disappoint your dad.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

If he stays healthy he could play our Greg Vaughn from 1999 in 2010... or is Greg Vaughn-Johnny Gomes 2010? Votto would be Casey from 1999. BP is Pokey. There's a few parts different from 1999, more pitching I think. Not as good of a bullpen. But Someone has to be Greg Vaughn don't they? Veteran who kind of has a resurgence huge year that wasn't counted on
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    If he stays healthy he could play our Greg Vaughn from 1999 in 2010... or is Greg Vaughn-Johnny Gomes 2010? Votto would be Casey from 1999. BP is Pokey. There's a few parts different from 1999, more pitching I think. Not as good of a bullpen. But Someone has to be Greg Vaughn don't they? Veteran who kind of has a resurgence huge year that wasn't counted on
    Definitely Rolen as Vaughn. Bruce as Cameron. I'm going to go with Gomes as Da Meat Hook.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

was this poll put on before or after the 2 HR night.

I want to know who said no and why!

I can see the Rolen-Vaughn comparison in terms of leadership, but I think Votto and BP are different personalities (and much better overall players) than Casey and Pokey.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post

Because it's not a move he would have made. It has nothing to do with results.

Not to nit-pick, but Vaughn was fresh off of a career high .960 OPS and 50 HR. They were counting on Vaughn, no doubt.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think I voted undecided by mistake...I'm a yes. No brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post

I did and it was an accident. I'm a HUGE fan of the trade.

I voted undecided. Of course I'm happy the trade seems to be working out, but I'm not ready to make any grand pronouncements just yet. I will say, though, that moving Rolen to the cleanup spot (and BP out of it) really made this whole lineup look a lot better.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?