Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam Jones?

Adam Jones?

So I was on mlbtraderumors.com and they were saying that a scout was saying something about how Adam Jones for the Baltimore Orioles might become available and how he'd be interested.

I was thinking about it and what about bringing another Adam Jones to Cincinnati. I think a package deal around Yonder Alonso, Homer Bailey, Zack Cozart, Juan Francisco, Drew Stubbs, and Enerio Del Rosario for Adam Jones and Kevin Millwood or Jeremy Guthrie might work?

Thoughts? They're probably going to be bad ones but just another name thrown out there that would fit perfectly in Cincinnati along with an ace like pitcher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Jones?

I dont wanna rain on the parade but Jones, when playing well probably, isnt much better than Stubbs is.

Millwood is a decent target but then again do we really have a spot for him, and is he good enough that we give up any of those guys you list?

Guthrie is similar but of the 3 hes the only one Id be half way interested in because of his price tag.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I used to like Jones, but I just don't understand this infatuation with picking up another OFer. We have 5 of them sharing time and doing a very good job so far. Where would he play? Aside from messing up team chemistry.

Do the Orioles have any solid relievers? That's what we need right now.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Not in a hundred years would I trade those six for Adam Jones + Kevin Millwood or Guthrie. Overpaying in the extreme right there. Why would we even want Millwood/Guthrie? Why trade away a young arm like Bailey to go with those aging vets? I'm not even sold on Adam Jones being a guy we want to target, let alone pay this much for.

yeah you guys are right but the only bullpen arm i think they really have is mike gonzalez and dont really want him when we got arthur rhodes and danny plus with bray hopefully coming back 100%.

other relievers i can think of in the league that are going to be available are Joakim Soria, Chad Qualls, Matt Thorton, Bobby Jenks, Latroy Hawkins, Kyle Farnsworth(NO), David Aardsma, Kerry Wood just to name a few

We have 5 solid starters and 3 or 4 decent options in triple A, and also Micah Owings. We don't have 7 decent relievers at this point.

got alil captain in u?

No way would Jocketty even consider making that deal. I would rather have drew stubbs than adam jones. No way would i ever want kevin millwood. I'd rather run out some of the young kids than that guy.

That would set our franchise back about 4 years. And not improve our present team much.

So, we need a bullpen arm. The O's don't have any.

Mike Gonzalez was having himself an AWFUL year, and that was before he landed on the 60-day DL. Alfredo Simon, his replacement, has pitched a total of 18 appearances in the majors, and is currently on the DL. Millwood's old, Guthrie's the Austin Kearns of pitchers.

The only O's reliever of any value is Will Ohman, and he's not even that great. Remember how excited you used to get when the Cubs brought him in to face Adam Dunn, because you just knew 'Oh, man, this is going to be a homer!"?.

Even then, the way Peter Angelos clings to any shred of talent, they will never give him up. I mean, look at how hard it was for them to trade Bedard. They've had offers for Brian Roberts that most people would consider unpassuppable, but did not trade him for the simple fact that Peter Angelos likes him too much.

Don't expect them to give up Adam Jones, or Markakis, or anyone. The only reason the Reds got Hernandez was because Matt Wieters was waiting in the wings. That, and I can see Peter Angelos really liking Ryan Freel, too.

Signed,
    Friend of a long-suffering Orioles fan.
    Last edited by brachial pleXUs; 06-01-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brachial pleXUs View Post
    So, we need a bullpen arm. The O's don't have any.

Mike Gonzalez was having himself an AWFUL year, and that was before he landed on the 60-day DL. Alfredo Simon, his replacement, has pitched a total of 18 appearances in the majors, and is currently on the DL. Millwood's old, Guthrie's the Austin Kearns of pitchers.

The only O's reliever of any value is Will Ohman, and he's not even that great. Remember how excited you used to get when the Cubs brought him in to face Adam Dunn, because you just knew 'Oh, man, this is going to be a homer!"?.

Even then, the way Peter Angelos clings to any shred of talent, they will never give him up. I mean, look at how hard it was for them to trade Bedard. They've had offers for Brian Roberts that most people would consider unpassuppable, but did not trade him for the simple fact that Peter Angelos likes him too much.

Don't expect them to give up Adam Jones, or Markakis, or anyone. The only reason the Reds got Hernandez was because Matt Wieters was waiting in the wings. That, and I can see Peter Angelos really liking Ryan Freel, too.

Signed,
    Friend of a long-suffering Orioles fan.
    "unpassuppable"

My new word for the day.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Octavio Dotel of the Pirates? He makes 3 million but he has always been a good setup man and is a seasoned vet.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

I'll probably get toasted on this trade proposal to but what about something like Brandon Phillips for George Sherril, James McDonald, and Blake Dewitt. Then let go of Mike Lincoln and get rid of Carlos Fisher and bring up Valaika and have Valaika and Dewitt at 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    I'll probably get toasted on this trade proposal to but what about something like Brandon Phillips for George Sherril, James McDonald, and Blake Dewitt. Then let go of Mike Lincoln and get rid of Carlos Fisher and bring up Valaika and have Valaika and Dewitt at 2nd
    No thanks.

Are you trying to repeat the Reds-Nationals trade? There's no reason to ever spend that much on middle relief. Look at all the years we firesale relievers and what we got for them were PTNBL types, even when guys like Weathers and Mercker were having very good years. Why should we give up that much?

Adam Jones was stolen from the Mariners.

I don't think they'll let him go after getting such a steal.

Turn Off Ads?