Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: Chapman Won't Pitch Out of the Pen; Volquez Might

Jocketty: Chapman Won't Pitch Out of the Pen; Volquez Might

Full Article

While there isn’t an immediate need for a starter, the bullpen has been the weakest link on the team. Jocketty says the plan with Chapman does not involve using him in relief.

“Not right now,” Jocketty said.
    It sounds like there’s a better chance that Edinson Volquez could be looked at as reliever.

“I can’t answer that,” Jocketty said. “It’s a consideration. But we’re trying to groom him as a starter. We’ll see how he does on his rehab.”
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty: Chapman Won't Pitch Out of the Pen; Volquez Might

Odd, since you would think they'd like to limit Chapman's innings this year.

As far as Volquez goes, unless The Reds really need a starter badly, I hope he pitches from the pen. He can be babied that way. I don't want him to be Jose Rijo all over again with the 5 TJ surgeries because of coming back too strong too quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Notice carefully...Jocketty said about Chapman "not right now." That does not mean "not later." I would keep grooming Chapman as a starter too, but toward the end of the season, having Chapman help out in the pen if the Reds are still in it may make him very useful in that role this year. Volquez too.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Notice carefully...Jocketty said about Chapman "not right now." That does not mean "not later." I would keep grooming Chapman as a starter too, but toward the end of the season, having Chapman help out in the pen if the Reds are still in it may make him very useful in that role this year. Volquez too.
    Yep.

No need to change the plan of stretching him out. Keep building up his strength, no real down side. Much easier to move from the rotation to the pen than the other way around.

Glad to hear that they are thinking of using Volquez in the pen at first. That has shown to be a smart way to ease a guy back from Tommy John.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Of course, it's also possible that they'd send Bailey to the pen. I think Jocketty's basic line is just "we'll cross that bridge when we get there."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Of course, it's also possible that they'd send Bailey to the pen. I think Jocketty's basic line is just "we'll cross that bridge when we get there."
    I think having three guys with that kind of stuff available the second half of the season could inject some life into this staff--no matter what their roles.

At the rate the bullpen is going right now, Cordero and the other reliable relievers (I'm talking about you, Arthur Rhodes!) will be completely worn out by the time these guys come back. Could be a good thing. Maybe their nickname as a group could be "The Cavalry."
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Update per http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/

VOLQUEZ PITCHES
    RHP Edinson Volquez yesterday for the Reds Extended Spring Training team pitched 1.0 inning against the White Sox and retired all 3 batters he faced...he topped out at 94mph...Volquez last year had season-ending "Tommy John" surgery on August 3rd.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Sounds encouraging. Thanks for the update.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think at this point Volquez would be more valuable in the pen for the year
    Most Vottomatic Player

I'd think hard about Volquez in the rotation and Harang in the pen.

Volquez' suspension should be up now right? it was 50 games from the start of the season i think, so once he is ready, he's an instant boost to the pen or possibly the rotation.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Volquez' suspension should be up now right? it was 50 games from the start of the season i think, so once he is ready, he's an instant boost to the pen or possibly the rotation.

Was it 50 from the beginning of the year or 50 from when they announced the suspension?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Was it 50 from the beginning of the year or 50 from when they announced the suspension?
    I remember someone claiming he'd be available around mid-June. Could be wrong about that though.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    not sure, but he tested positive in ST, so I'm thinking from opening day on. Should be eligible now.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Ah. He's on the 60 Day DL. got about 3 more games to go before he can come off it.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?