Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey to announce retirement

Griffey to announce retirement

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/ken-g...nce-retirement

Sources tell us that the Mariners are preparing a statement from Junior about his future plans, which stresses that he's not being forced out or capitulating to anyone's suggestion that its time, but simply wants to go out on his own terms.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey to announce retirement

1st ballot, unanimous.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

This is the best for Junior and the Mariners. The club saves public face by not forcing out a legend, and Junior stops making us squirm awkwardly while he's at the plate.

Now we can all look forward to his induction into the Hall as one of the game's all-time greats. The Kid had a heck of a career.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Wow, can't say I expected this. Griffey is the reason I became a Reds fan, and even the reason I became a baseball fan. Thanks for the memories, Junior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

He's one of the greatest players to ever play the game (top 10-15 IMO). He was always one of my top two or three favorite players even before the Reds acquired him and I'm proud to say he played for my favorite team. 2781 hits, 630 homers, 1836 RBI, 1662 runs, career statline of .284/.370/.538 - .908 OPS. One MVP award and 10 Gold Gloves. He had an amazing career. If not for playing half his career on turf, he would've probably had less injuries and would be the all-time HR King right now.

Thanks for all the great memories, Junior.

Almost 21 years to the day that Schmidt walked away.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

A couple years too late, but at least he didn't hang on all year. (Although, the cynic in me thinks the M's likely asked him if there was a way he would bow out gracefully ASAFP.)

It is too bad he never got a ring, and too bad he went out struggling like he had.
    But, we all get old.

Awwww, I'm all teary eyed. I love you, Jr.!

CINCINNATI - Channel 9 Sports and WCPO.com has been informed by sources close to him, that Ken Griffey Jr. is retiring from baseball.

He's driven in only 7 runs this season, has a .184 batting average and has yet to hit a home run. Age has caught up to Ken Griffey Jr. and he's fully aware that the battle won't likely turn in his favor.

His decision will be made official in a statement to be released shortly by the Seattle Mariners, the team he started his career with in 1987. Twenty-two season later, the clock will now start on what will undoubtedly be a short wait for the Hall of Fame. If there was ever a first ballot inductee, the Moeller High grad is one.

In the retirement statement, Griffey says, "I'm extremely thankful to have played so long. I'd like to thank my family for all the sacrifices they've made all these years. And I'd like to thank the Seattle Mariners for allowing me to finish my career where it started."

"I told the Mariners when we met before the season, that I would never allow myself to be a distraction. My hope is that my teammates can win a championship for themselves and for deserving Seattle fans. I'd like to thank everyone who played a role in my career."

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/ken-g...nce-retirement
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

It was time, but this really makes me sad.

Jr. was what made the baseball fan that I am. I was always a Reds fan, but I became a rabid fan during the 2000 season, which was my 7th grade year. I still remember the excitement around SW Ohio after the trade - I even recall a Burger King sign that had "WELCOME HOME, JUNIOR!" on it. It was Griffey Mania.

He's one guy who, in my mind, NEVER touched PEDs.

First Ballot HOFer without question.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Dude, wait til June 20th vs. the Reds....we have tix for the entire series in Seattle.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Absolute Top 10-15 of all time. Can't wait to see him inducted!

Senor Votto

This is a sad day. I'll aways remember the day that Griffey went to Cincinnati.

Best of luck to Junior. Too bad he couldn't hold on a couple of weeks more when the Reds hit town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Goobye Kenny. I happily spent a lot of dollars to watch you play for my Redlegs, and you didn't really disappoint me. Injuries happen, I wish you'd have gotten that ring here with us.

Thanks for the memories.

I'm a bit shocked honestly, I thought he'd last the season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?