Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Griffey to announce retirement

Re: Griffey to announce retirement

It was fun watching his career. Next stop, HOF.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    He's a HOFer on the first ballot and my favorite player of all time. But not even Lou Gherig or Babe Ruth where unanimous.
    Those guys should have theirs revoked too....even in death

Junior's plaque should have him wearing his cap backwards.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I don't think so. Even if he had ended his career here, I think he still would have gone in as a Mariner. The Reds have a long and rich history that spans centuries. Griffey basically is Mariner's baseball - at least, he saved Mariner baseball. I was glad he got to retire with them.

Good luck in retirement, Junior. You were definitely one of the best to ever play.
    + 1

I don't think it will be a surprise which hat he wears into the HOF.

It's kinda ironic but his last home run was in spring training vs the Reds.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

I've said the same. Would be a great tribute.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I completely agree.

Wow, I left the house for a while tonight and on the way home I found out about the near perfect game and Junior's retirement right at the same time. I wasn't even gone that long, LOL Anyway, I feel so privileged that I got to watch Jr. play baseball all these years and even though his career with the Reds never quite went as planned, he is still one of the greats in this game and I look forward to seeing him in Cooperstown. I was at the celebration night that we held here in Cincy for his 600th HR and it was a pretty awesome night. He even turned his hat backwards for his speech! He will never be forgotten and I hope future kids see what he did in his baseball career and life and choose to play the game that way too. God bless you Junior and thanks for the memories.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Very emotional for me. Along with Barry Larkin, Junior is my favorite player of all-time. In his prime, the game was so effortless to him it was like watching a brilliant artist perform his craft. If there ever was a true Natural, it's Ken Griffey Jr.

Thanks for the memories, Ken. You'll be missed. There will never be another like him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

JR is really the only reason I even starteds to pay attention first to baseball and then to the Reds.

Sad day.
    Go Gators!

Statement From Reds President & CEO Bob Castellini On The Retirement of Ken Griffey Jr.

“We were very honored to have a first-ballot Hall of Famer like Ken play for us for nine years. The Griffey family is at the center of baseball tradition in Cincinnati, and Ken and his father gave our organization and Reds fans many wonderful memories. Not only was Junior one of the best baseball players of this or any other generation, he is a wonderful person and family man. We wish Ken, Melissa and their family success and happiness in life off the field.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...nt-on-griffey/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I feel privileged to have watched Jr.'s brilliant career from start to finish. He did it well and he did it right.

Thanks for the memories Junior, best of luck in retirement.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

I was really hoping he'd make it to the Reds series. I miss watching him hit.
    "three dimes, a one hundred dollar bill and and 87 ones..."

Reds on Griffey:

Bronson Arroyo: “When guys are superstars on the level he was on, nobody knows — unless you play with them — what kind of guy he really is. Griff was happy-go-lucky every day. Everyone enjoyed him being around. I imagined him as a young kid. He was a locker room rat. He was in here at one o’clock in the afternoon until the last guy left.

“He was always happy, always in a good mood. I enjoyed him because he always didn’t talk baseball. I’d talk to him about flying his plane. He was always like a kid in that he was enthusiastic about things he was passionate about. That’s first and foremost as far as what I remember about him.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ds-on-griffey/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

One is not so impressed by Junior:

Griffey Overrated

Griffey, though, was not the best player of the 1990s. That was Barry Bonds. He never led the American League in batting average or on-base percentage. He topped the circuit in slugging only once. It's true he had more defensive value than most of the guys who were outslugging him. But the one MVP award was truly all he deserved.
    And subtley hints that Griffey might have used PED's

Fairly or not, he's gone untarnished despite playing during the Steroid Era, mostly because he never looked like a user.
    If I knew this guys address, I'd TP his house tonight.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

A no doubt first ballot Hall of Famer. One of the greates players of his generation and all time. I do believe he was one of the few stars of his era who didn't do steriods or not very much anyway.
    My question is: Is he the greatest player to never play in a World Series? I think Ernie Banks had this distinction before Griffey's retirement. I can't think of anyone who was better than Griffey who never got the opportunity to play a World Series game?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?