Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Griffey to announce retirement

Re: Griffey to announce retirement

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nat...fey_he_co.html

Adam Dunn on Ken Griffey: 'He couldn't understand why you stunk'

In 2000, Adam Dunn made his first appearance in a major league spring training with the Cincinnati Reds. The story of camp was Ken Griffey Jr., whom Jim Bowden had just acquired in a trade.

"He was the best player in the game, and I was just a little peon," Dunn said. "It didn't matter who you were. He was always having fun, man. He just fit it in with everyone. He was not like your typical superstar. It was awesome. Awesome teammate."

Over the next eight years, Dunn revered Griffey as a player and cherished him as a teammate. Dunn had not yet spoken to Griffey about his retirement yesterday, but planned to talk with him later tonight. "He's one of my best friends now," Dunn said.

Dunn remembers "more off-the-field stuff" with Griffey, he said. "He was fun in the clubhouse. That's what a lot of people don't get to see.

"What he did on the field, nobody could touch. He wasn't a very good guy to talk to, because he couldn't understand why you stunk. He was just that good. He tried, but things came so easy to him, man. We would talk hitting all the time, and I would be, 'I can't do that, dude. I have to take to BP getting loose. I can't just get out there at 1:07 and hit a three-run homer like you can.' We tried to talk hitting, but it didn't work too good."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Griffey to serve as a hitting coach

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Brian Giesenschlag:

Just talked to Griffey's agent B Goldberg. Says Jr had talked about retiring for a few weeks. Look for Jr at Reds/Mariners gm in two weeks.

http://twitter.com/FOX19Brian
    Got tix for all 3 games....I sure hope so.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Got tix for all 3 games....I sure hope so.
    I'll be there as well!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Haven't seen this posted in a while. It always makes me smile and seems appropriate in this thread.

YouTube - Junior Griffey

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You'll have a group of idiots leave him off. Just so he won't be unanimous.
    No, Junior will not be a unanimous pick.

Even the great Joe DiMaggio was turned away from the Hall twice, only getting in on his 3rd go around.

How many years 'till Trey's eligible for the draft? two?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How many years 'till Trey's eligible for the draft? two?
    From what I understand, he'll be in the NFL draft, so he's got a few years.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm reading the Willie Mays biography right now.

Junior was to my generation what Willie Mays was to my father's generation:

A gift from the baseball gods.

Before time and injury took their respective tolls, you could not have designed a more perfect baseball player.

Bravo, Junior.

I wish KGJ had waited until after the Seattle series to retire. Would have been awesome to have seen him bat in GAB one last time. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I wish KGJ had waited until after the Seattle series to retire. Would have been awesome to have seen him bat in GAB one last time. Oh well.
    The Reds/Mariners series is in Seattle.

Nice story from Hal McCoy:

Early in 2005, Griffey had only one home run in April and the fans were squealing about it. I wrote a column in which I said, “If Ken Griffey Jr. stays healthy all year, if he doesn’t hit 30 home runs, I’ll eat this column on Courthouse Square. And I’ll furnish the ketchup.”

Griffey never let on that he had read or heard about it.

On August 25, on a sticky, humid night in RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., Griffey hit his 30th home run. After the game, I was standing outside the clubhouse door, waiting to do post-game interviews, when Griffey walked by nonchalantly. “Hal,” he said and flipped me a baseball.

On it he had written, “To Hal, Thanks for your friendshp. All the best, Ken Griffey Jr., Home Run No. 30, Home Run No. 531, August 25, 2005.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

the lovefest for Griffey is now over:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...mid=obinsource

And frankly, what a shame. He's had a Hall of Fame career, but one that was destined to end in less glory that it began once he decided to return for one year too many. Not because of Wakamatsu. But because Griffey simply did not have it anymore. It's nice for his teammates to want a guy to be treated with respect, but let's get real here. The players already cost hitting coach Alan Cockrell his job. How many other jobs were going to be lost, in the front office and coaching staff, by the team continuing to trot out lineups that did not make a whole lot of practical sense?...

It is unreasonable for Griffey to have expected the Mariners to keep on playing him when one coach had already been fired. And when the logical decision was finally made to bench him, nobody held a press conference to announce it. Nobody tried to humiliate him.
    I agree with what this Mariner beat writer has put together

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    the lovefest for Griffey is now over:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...mid=obinsource

I agree with what this Mariner beat writer has put together
    It is far more common for HOF players to end their career the way Griffey did, than the way Bench did. Babe Ruth went to the Boston Braves for his final season where he hit .181.

Hardest thing to do is to admit to yourself that your career is over. I can't blame Griffey for anything that happened this year, and I am confident that it will not affect his legacy one iota.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think the Kid should be in the all-star game. Maybe he doesn't play, but he should at least get the recognition.

Turn Off Ads?