Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Re: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Speaking of umpires, this was unprofessional:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8644359

Mike Estabrook is a horrible umpire based on what I've seen since last year. I remember watching him umpire some Reds games last season and missing quite a few calls.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Speaking of umpires, this was unprofessional:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8644359

Mike Estabrook is a horrible umpire based on what I've seen since last year. I remember watching him umpire some Reds games last season and missing quite a few calls.
    I agree 100%

If a catcher does or says something that he shouldn't of then you can say something to him but do it so its not obvious that there is a conflict. Wait for the catcher to get in his crouch and then while getting in your position tell him to stop doing whatever he is doing. That way no one but you him and possibly the batter knows there is a problem. I just did it a few nights ago.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I agree 100%

If a catcher does or says something that he shouldn't of then you can say something to him but do it so its not obvious that there is a conflict. Wait for the catcher to get in his crouch and then while getting in your position tell him to stop doing whatever he is doing. That way no one but you him and possibly the batter knows there is a problem. I just did it a few nights ago.
    He may have already done that, though. If he told Kendall to stop and Kendall said something that went over the boundaries after the warning, the umpire has every right to get in his face and give him a more stern warning.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    He may have already done that, though. If he told Kendall to stop and Kendall said something that went over the boundaries after the warning, the umpire has every right to get in his face and give him a more stern warning.
    No, if he warned Kendall and he kept doing it then eject the player. If the player is not going to respect his authority after he gave him a warning then action needs to be taken. Don't stoop to the level of trying to embarrass a player like the umpire did. He should have just ejected him. Getting in a players face is something an umpire never wants to do. Stay out of conflicts, don't create them.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

No, if he warned Kendall and he kept doing it then eject the player. If the player is not going to respect his authority after he gave him a warning then action needs to be taken. Don't stoop to the level of trying to embarrass a player like the umpire did. He should have just ejected him. Getting in a players face is something an umpire never wants to do. Stay out of conflicts, don't create them.
    Ejecting a player is no more/less embarrassing than getting in his face to warn him. I don't see how that's any more "professional" than what the umpire did.

I don't disagree that any conflict should be kept between the two in the crouch to start with. However, I see absolutely no problem with being given a stern warning before ejecting him if the first warning went ignored. If the player didn't heed the first one, then what the umpire did was perfectly reasonable IMHO.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Minor league ump with big league dreams.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Minor league ump with big league dreams.
    Yep I try to always look at both points of view, but here, that ump has to "know his role" and let it go or run Kendall. No gray area of escalating a showdown.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If the player didn't heed the first one, then what the umpire did was perfectly reasonable IMHO.
    Maybe this had been brewing, but I have never seen an umpire crouch down and get in the face of a catcher who is in his squat and trying to continue with the game. Baiting, escalation, call it what you will.

What the umpire did was not professional at all. As said earlier, if Kendall is out of control with his mouth, then throw HIM out.

Ejecting a player is no more/less embarrassing than getting in his face to warn him. I don't see how that's any more "professional" than what the umpire did.

I don't disagree that any conflict should be kept between the two in the crouch to start with. However, I see absolutely no problem with being given a stern warning before ejecting him if the first warning went ignored. If the player didn't heed the first one, then what the umpire did was perfectly reasonable IMHO.
    Kendall was already warned once. So we warn him a second time?? If he ignores that warning do we give him a third chance?? How long does this go on?? Also note the other players see these mulitiple warnings going on and on and on so trust me they will take full advantage of the umpires overly charitable nature and will no doubt abuse it.

Bottom line is the umpire warned Kendall. He choose to ignore the warning so he should have been dumped. The umpire shouldn't have made a scene like he did. Just eject him, send a message and move on.

Kendall was already warned once. So we warn him a second time?? If he ignores that warning do we give him a third chance?? How long does this go on?? Also note the other players see these mulitiple warnings going on and on and on so trust me they will take full advantage of the umpires overly charitable nature and will no doubt abuse it.

Bottom line is the umpire warned Kendall. He choose to ignore the warning so he should have been dumped. The umpire shouldn't have made a scene like he did. Just eject him, send a message and move on.
    OK I get all that. But let's not pretend yelling at a player is somehow 'unprofessional.' Either the player gets yelled at or gets ejected. On an embarrassment meter, they're no different.

The arguments about being professional or unprofessional is silly. The umpire yelled at a player. That happens hundreds of times a year.

The arguments about being professional or unprofessional is silly.
    Yelling at a player or manager is very unprofessional. While I cannot speak for MLB umpires I guarantee umpires at the highest levels of College baseball do no such thing. It is not tolerated because it is seen as very unprofessional.

Yelling at a player or manager is very unprofessional. While I cannot speak for MLB umpires I guarantee umpires at the highest levels of College baseball do no such thing. It is not tolerated because it is seen as very unprofessional.
    Hm. I've never seen a level of baseball where umpires don't sometimes yell at players if the players start yapping first.

Hm. I've never seen a level of baseball where umpires don't sometimes yell at players if the players start yapping first.
    If the umpires yell at the College level then they won't be working that level long.

Yelling by HS umpires is not tolerated in central Indiana.

I do see yelling by the MLB umpires and it makes me sick. If you cannot control a game without acting like a child having a tantrum then you should just hang it up because IMO you are an embarrassment to your profession.

I have had probally 80 ejections in my 13 year umpiring career and never once have I yelled or acted unprofessional in my ejections. I just eject them and let them rant and rave and scream like an idiot. I act in a manner that I am above them.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And so the saga will go down in baseball lore. Even though it's not in the books, everyone knows he had a perfect game. Had the 2 main characters not handled this so classy, I would be sick over it. But in retrospect this will go down as one of the more fondly remembered pitching performances in baseball history.
    Exactly! All the people involved were shining examples of how to conduct yourself when things don't go your way. I felt bad for both Galarraga and Joyce when it happened, but in the end it IS a game...there were no lives in the balance. After seeing Joyce apologize and Galarraga graciously accepting his fate with a smile, I could not be more impressed. I think Galarraga may have the opportunity to make MORE money in endorsements as a result. They've turned what could have been a tragedy into a glorious triumph of the human spirit. Nobody is perfect and by accepting that fact, they've become as close to perfect as one can get.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I somehow am on an e-mailing mailing list for MLB.com. I just received an e-mail entitled "Year of the Pitcher Gaining Momentum." In that e-mail, after mentioning the perfect games of Dallas Braden and Roy Halladay there was this sentence: "Four days later, Armando Galarraga came within one out of achieving perfection in Detroit."
    That was it, the sole mention of Galarraga's game. No mention that he did pitch a perfect game, only to be victimized by what he, the umpire, the hitter, and every single person who ever watched the replay knows was a blown call. No mention that Bud Selig refused to overturn the blown call. No mention that Galarraga (and umpire James Joyce) displayed remarkable sportsmanship and grace after the blown call. Just that he "came within one out" of a perfect game.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?