Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Just finally watched the play in question. I did not realize it was the last out of the game.

Please, Bud, don't knee jerk and use this to put in instant replay. I'll take some missed calls to not have the NFL or NCAA football. Instant replay is a terrible idea for a sporting event that is played and officiated by human beings, flawed, finite human beings.

As for the call, real speed it was a bang bang play. Joyce choked it sure, but it was a bang bang close play that is missed on a nightly basis around the league. Sure the replay shows the right call, but real time it was very, very close.

Most disturbing was Joyce yelling "BS" back to Leyland after missing a call of that magnitude, though.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Has anyone seen and heard Joyce's apology? It was easiest the best apology I have hever heard for a blown call. It really was awesome.

He not only took full responsibility for this error, he expressed very honestly how much it affected him, and how sorry he truly is over it. You could tell he was torn up over this, and wanted to make clear that he wasn't making any excuses for it. I highly recommend watching it if you can find it.

I have not been kind to him in this thread, but I have to say he is now my favorite current umpire, and second favorite of all time (behind Randy Marsh). I really hope other umps follow his lead, and be more honest in the future about their own calls.
    AFAIK, it was unprecedented. And I suspect his colleagues in the umpiring fraternity will tell him to put a lid on it. Most umpires these days don't like to admit they were wrong. I doubt they'll react kindly to one who admits it over and over again in the media.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its not a big deal? 20 perfect games have happened in the history of baseball. A blatant missed call nullified the 21st. I think this is kinda a big deal.
    Meh. If history is the concern, this game is now more legendary from a historical perspective because of what didn't happen...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

People goof. Unfortunate, but not worthy of outrage.

Impressed by the reactions of both the ump and the player. Rising above the controversy, that's a good moment for baseball.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Regardless of what the record books may say today, tomorrow or in the future, those of us who were alive when last night's game happened know that Galarraga pitched a perfect game. These are the legendary stories of baseball that generations pass down to the future fans of the game to tell them why it's such a great game, and why we love it so much.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    It was a mistake. It happens. I don't think the ump is any happier about it than anyone else. That play gets missed by umps ALL THE TIME. Joyce just happens to have missed it on the last out of a perfect game. Hitters miss pitches. Pitchers leave the ball up. Umps miss calls. It was a bad call. But I lean towards what Rick said. I think he was trying so hard to not be biased, that he screwed it up.
    Exactly my thoughts as well.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

If Gallaraga had given up a hit in the 5th inning, this wouldn't be such a cause celebre. It would be just another blown call by an umpire.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Games over, move on to the next game.

There are no do overs in life.

Baseball is life.
    Well said.

Teach tolerance.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Games over, move on to the next game.

There are no do overs in life.

Baseball is life.
    Baseball is not life, and most games have many do overs.

As far as replay goes... There is a solid minute between batters. If there was a legitimate bad call (not balls and strikes) then it can be reviewed within 20 seconds. If its hard to tell even on replay the call on the field always stands. No coaches red flag or any of that ridiculousness. Just someone in the booth who reviews almost every play. How can I be the only to think this is not a horrible idea? It would literally add ZERO time to the game and ensure complete trash calls would no longer effect the outcome of games.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post

As far as replay goes... There is a solid minute between batters. If there was a legitimate bad call (not balls and strikes) then it can be reviewed within 20 seconds. If its hard to tell even on replay the call on the field always stands. No coaches red flag or any of that ridiculousness. Just someone in the booth who reviews almost every play. How can I be the only to think this is not a horrible idea? It would literally add ZERO time to the game and ensure complete trash calls would no longer effect the outcome of games.
    Because too many calls will be reviewed. Did you see the Rose Bowl this year? That was a great example of the abuse of replay and how it takes away from the flow of a game. I also think the officials become less decisive when replay is in place. Uncertainty and lack of confidence in any endeavor reduces performance.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I agree but I truly think people who are against instant replay because it would add time to the game don't mind a manager going out there and arguing about a call. And even though the views are inconsistant, I can understand how they feel and there's nothing wrong with it. As silly as it may sound, there is a certain feeling that people get from watching a manager argue with an umpire. Replacing an argument with replay would make the game less human for these people.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Because too many calls will be reviewed. Did you see the Rose Bowl this year? That was a great example of the abuse of replay and how it takes away from the flow of a game. I also think the officials become less decisive when replay is in place. Uncertainty and lack of confidence in any endeavor reduces performance.
    I do not agree.

If you become unable to perform your job because someone is reviewing your performance in real time, find another gig. In the air traffic world its a way of life, real time. If those decisions are screwed up (in real time) then people could die. Some people have fear of controlling (very true) however those quickly find new careers. If an instant replay causes someone so much anxiety that they can't perform, then good luck at career number 2.

I do not want to see or hear about any review, In my proposed system you use the lag that is already built in the game to review every close play. From the moment the ball is caught at 1B to the moment the P is on the mound taking signs for the next batter is about 60 seconds. An extra official in the booth could determine the accuracy of close plays before the batter steps into the box. No time delay and 100% accuracy. The only times the fan will know someone is checking out the play will be when it is reversed. Besides almost all close plays are argued anyways. I would much rather we end the senseless manager arguments and use the time they would be wasting productively.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

I think that everyone who watched the game, has watched highlights on SportsCenter, has gone to espn.com, or heard a second-hand account of the game is going to award Gallaraga a perfect game, regardless of whether or not history books do. If a tree falls in the forest and everyone in the world hears it except for one person...
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

But I've seen the t-shirt that says it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I think that everyone who watched the game, has watched highlights on SportsCenter, has gone to espn.com, or heard a second-hand account of the game is going to award Gallaraga a perfect game, regardless of whether or not history books do. If a tree falls in the forest and everyone in the world hears it except for one person...

5 years from now, few will remember. It'll just be a 1-hitter.

Turn Off Ads?