Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Could we get that debacle against the Braves overturned?
    And Arroyo's post rain delay performance the other day?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

I think a video of this call will get trotted out when another bad call is made. Like seeing a replay of Denkinger's call in the '85 Series. But it will just be a footnote.

Just as a general comment, I'd hate to see baseball get even more technology in it. I like to see baseball played and umped by people, imperfect as they may be. Its just a game and lives don't depend on it.

We've already got enough technology in every other aspect of life. I don't want to see microchips embedded in bats, balls, bases, players, umps, etc etc.

Get off my lawn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I say you absolutely overturn it. With permission from Galarraga, Donald, and Joyce, it would no doubt improve this situation. Surely, it won't replace the moment and the thrill of throwing a perfect game, but you can't possibly tell me that overturning the call would improve the situation. Joyce is going to live with this for the rest of his life. If Bud overturns it, you have to think that it releases some of the burden off Joyce.

The reason why I think this should be overturned is because this play had no overall effect on the game. It is simply a scoring change. The ruling isn't saying that a run should or shouldn't have scored, it's just saying that a guy that should have been called out is called out. EVERYONE on the planet knows that it was a perfect game. The Tigers still won the game. Why not change it? If it happened in the 5th inning, I would say no way. But this would have ENDED THE GAME! Everyone knows it would have ended the game. It's not setting a precedent for games to be decided by Selig. It's simply changing the scoring of a single play.

I really really really hope Selig gets this one right.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    The reason why I think this should be overturned is because this play had no overall effect on the game. It is simply a scoring change.

But it isn't a scoring change. If it was a hit or an error that would be a scoring change. This is turning a hit into an out. The only precedent for that was probably the Pine-Tar game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Maybe they can also overturn that Brett Hull goal from the Stanely Cup finals

Don't change the call. No other call has been changed, don't start now.

Yes, it would be the 'right' thing to do. However, I don't like setting this precedent. Where do you draw the line? It was a judgment call by the umpire. Until/unless instant replay is instituted, don't go changing calls just because it was the last out and it was a perfect game.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I think it would be a really bad idea to reverse it. Sports aren't perfect, you can't just go back and change things because it would make everyone feel better.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I doubt Selig changes anything -- it would set a pretty broad precedent, particularly considering it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

You live and, hopefully, learn.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I would like to see the ruling on the field overturned and Galarraga awarded the perfect game, but that said, I don't think Selig should overturn the ruling on the field.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I say you absolutely overturn it. With permission from Galarraga, Donald, and Joyce, it would no doubt improve this situation. Surely, it won't replace the moment and the thrill of throwing a perfect game, but you can't possibly tell me that overturning the call would improve the situation. Joyce is going to live with this for the rest of his life. If Bud overturns it, you have to think that it releases some of the burden off Joyce.

The reason why I think this should be overturned is because this play had no overall effect on the game. It is simply a scoring change. The ruling isn't saying that a run should or shouldn't have scored, it's just saying that a guy that should have been called out is called out. EVERYONE on the planet knows that it was a perfect game. The Tigers still won the game. Why not change it? If it happened in the 5th inning, I would say no way. But this would have ENDED THE GAME! Everyone knows it would have ended the game. It's not setting a precedent for games to be decided by Selig. It's simply changing the scoring of a single play.

I really really really hope Selig gets this one right.
    What if the Questec showed that the umpire called an obvious strike a ball which ultimately resulted in a pitcher losing a perfect game. Since we have evidence to show the pitch was a strike do we reverse that call also and give the pitcher a Perfect Game?? Where does reversing calls stop?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Scoring changes are hits vs. errors or who gets the win called by the official scorer.

Scoring changes are not how many runs were scored or who was out called by the game umpires.

Managers can make protests about how a rule was applied and the commish can rule on those and order the game replayed from a certain point. Like the Brett pine tar game.

It would be a the biggest can of worms you've ever seen in your life if Selig overturned this call. It wasn't a rule misapplication. It was an ump blew a call. Play on.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The reason why I think this should be overturned is because this play had no overall effect on the game.
    Maybe that's the best reason NOT to overturn it. It affects the stats of a single player (technically two but you know what I mean). Are the best interests of baseball being served by catering to a single individual, no matter how wronged that individual is?

And what happens the next time? And the time after that?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Galarraga and Joyce both showed true CLASS in this incident. What a great example both of these men have shown. Especially Galarraga.

Honestly, if the commissioner really has the authority, I'd be in favor of him overruling the blown call. (I can't find the authority in the official rules, though.) While I never want the commissioner to start interfering with calls in every game, this is truly a unique case. Since this is the FINAL out of a perfect game and the call is obviously wrong on the field, overturning it would make sense to me. The team is robbed of a celebration, but I'd rather see Galarraga get what he deserves in the record book.

And I'll go on the record as saying that I'm not for the use of instant replay on the field.
    Last edited by durl; 06-03-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Turn Off Ads?