Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Re: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Joe West approves of this umpire.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

2. Turn Off Ads?

Joyce tops ESPN The Mag ump survey
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5281467

(this has a little more details but you have to subscribe for the FULL details)
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/news/...3fid%3d5276338
    The poll was taken after the Galarraga game. In a nutshell most players called Joyce their favorite ump, they don't like replay, they give the umps a good grade overall, and they didn't think Bud should have overturned the call in the Galarraga game.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Anyone want to guess who "won" worst umpire?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Anyone want to guess who "won" worst umpire?
    I'm going to guess Joe West, though my choice would be Bob Davidson or Rob Drake.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

No doubt in my mind that C.B. Bucknor is the worst.

Edit: And I was right.
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 06-13-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I'm going to guess Joe West, though my choice would be Bob Davidson or Rob Drake.
    Close, West came in 2nd, Angel Hernandez 3rd. I think West's actually the least terrible of those 3 at making calls, he's just awful in every other possible way.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'd like to know how Hunter Wendelstedt wasn't rated one of the worst umpires in baseball. I've always thought he was a horrible umpire, and tonight's game only confirmed that. His strike three call on Scott Rolen tonight was the worst strike call I have ever seen in the major leagues, and that's not hyperbole. He also missed a call at home plate. He cost the Reds at least two runs tonight.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'd like to know how Hunter Wendelstedt wasn't rated one of the worst umpires in baseball. I've always thought he was a horrible umpire, and tonight's game only confirmed that. His strike three call on Scott Rolen tonight was the worst strike call I have ever seen in the major leagues, and that's not hyperbole. He also missed a call at home plate. He cost the Reds at least two runs tonight.
    He has good genes!

He was flat miserable last night... very inconsistent with his strikezone, and he seemed to give in to the pressure of players barking about the zone. If Leake threw a borderline pitch that was called a strike and the batter voiced his displeasure, it seemed that pitch wasn't given again. In other words, pitches in the same spot were not consistently called strikes or balls. He had a rough night for sure.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

The Tigers were once again robbed by an umpire Saturday in Atlanta. Unlike last time, this call actually cost the Tigers the game. With the Tigers losing 4-3 in the top of the 9th inning and the bases loaded with two outs and a 3-2 count, Johnny Damon took a 3-2 pitch that was clearly outside for ball four. Umpire Gary Cederstrom called it strike three. Instead of tying the game up at 4-4, the game was over the Braves won 4-3. Cederstrom has since then admitted it was a bad call and apologized to the Tigers.

Check out the replay of the bad call:

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=det
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-28-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

MLB hates the Tigers.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The tenor of the conversation regarding umpire effectiveness seems to be changing. The World Cup is certainly contributing as well. I'd just like the message to coalesce a bit more. Umpires are the very best people at what they do. They get the vast majority of the calls right. But now that we have technology which shows their mistakes and is showing that those mistakes have consequences, their best just isn't good enough. They need help. We have the tools to help them. Let's figure out how to equip umpires with the tools they need to their job even better.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The tenor of the conversation regarding umpire effectiveness seems to be changing. The World Cup is certainly contributing as well. I'd just like the message to coalesce a bit more. Umpires are the very best people at what they do. They get the vast majority of the calls right. But now that we have technology which shows their mistakes and is showing that those mistakes have consequences, their best just isn't good enough. They need help. We have the tools to help them. Let's figure out how to equip umpires with the tools they need to their job even better.
    Completely agree.

Although I am against replay in the World Cup, because who really cares what happens in soccer?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Completely agree.

Although I am against replay in the World Cup, because who really cares what happens in soccer?
    About 2-3 billion people....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    About 2-3 billion people....
    ... and about 137 Americans. lol
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The reason they get the vast majority right is because the vast majority are easy calls. Baseball is the easiest game of all to call. Umpires miss a lot of close calls. As a matter of fact the umps blew two calls in the first three innings of last night's game vs the Phillies. Fortunately both calls were in our favor. Umps blow close calls every night on SportsCenter.

I think the NFL officiating is the best and it's because they are held accountable. If they blow calls they are reprimanded and eventually fired if they screw up too often

Turn Off Ads?