Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Re: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Baseball is the easiest game of all to call.
    I know many officials who do several sports such as football, baseball, basketball etc. including a handful of guys who work at the D1 level and without question they all say baseball is the hardest sport to officiate.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I know many officials who do several sports such as football, baseball, basketball etc. including a handful of guys who work at the D1 level and without question they all say baseball is the hardest sport to officiate.
    I'm curious, George. Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm curious, George. Why is that?
    For the most part the guys that have told me this say baseball is harder because there are so many intricate rules that you need to be aware of. Calling balls and strikes may be just as easy as calling a travel in basketball or a late hit in football but compared to the other sports you don't have the multiple variety of rules that could apply to about any situation like there is in baseball.

I can't really give my opinion because I only do baseball but I am yet to meet a multiple sport official who doesn't agree baseball is the hardest to officiate.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

For the most part the guys that have told me this say baseball is harder because there are so many intricate rules that you need to be aware of. Calling balls and strikes may be just as easy as calling a travel in basketball or a late hit in football but compared to the other sports you don't have the multiple variety of rules that could apply to about any situation like there is in baseball.

I can't really give my opinion because I only do baseball but I am yet to meet a multiple sport official who doesn't agree baseball is the hardest to officiate.
    I can see that. I don't think the officials cross over too much between hockey and any other sport but I would think hockey would be the toughest sport to officiate. Especially in determining offsides. Plus the officials have to skate up and down the ice with the players.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Baseball does have a lot of intricate rules but it rarely comes to that. I would argue the NFL has gotten to that point as well. For instance how many fans understand the rules about 7 men on the line of scrimmage and covering an eligible receiver?

I can't speak as an official but as a fan it sure looks like fumbles, feet in bounds, holding and pass interference calls are tougher than calls at 1B and maybe balls/strikes. I'd say balls/strikes are the toughest calls in baseball

Haven't really seen him this season other than yesterday night with the Reds but CB Buckner is beyond bad. Most inconsistent ump I have seen in years.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Haven't really seen him this season other than yesterday night with the Reds but CB Buckner is beyond bad. Most inconsistent ump I have seen in years.
    Oh that is pretty much common knowledge around MLB.

He is hands down the worst as far as I am concerned and I pay alot more closely to the umpiring than the average fan does.

Yep, hard to really imagine worse than CB, routinely gets all types of close calls wrong, has a traveling strike zone when behind the plate, and he tops it off by getting all out of control snippy if anyone even glances at him sideways.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Yep, hard to really imagine worse than CB, routinely gets all types of close calls wrong, has a traveling strike zone when behind the plate, and he tops it off by getting all out of control snippy if anyone even glances at him sideways.
    Charlie Manuel sure got up in his face last night in the 10th inning after CB tossed him.

Manuel fully and (if I read lips) colorfully vented his spleen about 6 inches from CB and Buckner pretty much did nothing. I thought it was odd.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 06-30-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The worst thing about Bucknor is that he was actually umpiring in the playoffs last year. Sure enough, he screwed up a play. IIRC, he was scheduled to do the World Series but MLB pulled the umpires that messed up calls in the Division Series out after it was over.

Also C.B. was named as the worst umpire in a recent players' survey.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...-bad-the-fugly
    Last edited by Chip R; 06-30-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?