Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

The NFL's replay challege decisions would be much shorter if they didn't sell advertising time during it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The NFL's challenge replay decisions would be much shorter if they didn't sell advertising time.
    Pandora's box would be a lot easier to shut had it never been opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're largely missing the point. Open the game up to conferences, and games get longer and longer. I'm not talking about one incident.
    Agreed, eventually electronics will open up more and more, but conferences and
    slowing the already 19th century infused pace should be avoided.

The NFL is certainly not unwatchable, IMO.

They get the calls right a lot more than MLB. They also have a lot better competitive balance and a much more even playing field than MLB. There's a reason why the NFL is slowly usurping MLB as the national pastime.

This call might be the final straw that causes replay to come into the game on more than just home runs. I would applaud that. I'll take a longer game with correct calls over a fast game where the outcome is decided by umpires.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Don Denkinger to Jim Joyce...

"Welcome to my world."
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Don Denkinger to Jim Joyce...

"Welcome to my world."
    June 2nd will never be confused with October though.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Perfectos are rarer than WS.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Tell that to the 24 other guys.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're largely missing the point. Open the game up to conferences, and games get longer and longer. I'm not talking about one incident.
    I'm not talking about one incident nor do I want conferences. They are theater and a waste of time. If the ump in position to make the call couldn't get it right, I see no reason to involve the rest of the crew and certainly no reason for the umps to leave the field of play.

Let the manager challenge the call (once per game) and have an official in the booth view the replay(s), make the call, and inform the crew chief via radio. It would apply to only to boundary calls, force plays, and tags.

Is it perfect? No. But it would be a quick and painless way to correct gross mistakes with virtually no impact on the pace and length of the game.

If you want to speed up the pace of the game, call the real strikezone and get more swings, more balls in play, more strikes and not so many boring walks and deep counts.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    But there have been a fraction of perfect games compared to World Series games. This will be remembered for a very long time.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Of course, but it will be a game in a 162 game season sooner than later, will it even eclipse Haddix in game lore? I don't think so.

Accounts out of Detroit have Jim Joyce utterly distraught about his blown call. He might never be the same. Very sad.

http://twitter.com/AmyKNelson
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Galarraga on the phone -- some real class there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Galarraga on the phone -- some real class there.
    For sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The NFL's replay challege decisions would be much shorter if they didn't sell advertising time during it.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that you have to include replay in baseball at this point. I just think the umps should over rule each other on the field if they see a blatant missed call. I don't know whether this one would qualify but in general baseball umps are too insecure to allow such a thing.

In the mid 70s I was at a Reds game where an ump did over rule another and it led to a key run scoring for our Reds. The home plate umpire called a Red out at the plate but since he was behind the plate he couldn't see that the catcher did not apply the tag. The 1st base ump immediately signaled safe and after a very short conference, the final call was safe. I wish this would happen more often.

Turn Off Ads?