Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard to Listen to

Hard to Listen to

At one point, I thought Thom Brennamen was a good addition to broadcast Reds baseball. But, getting the opportunity to listen to him so much, it amazes me that someone who has been as close to the game as he has his entire life could be so ignorant about strategy and the business of baseball.

Such as railing about the Reds needed to try something different against Carpenter, you know that guy who spins up a Cy Young type season with seemingly no effort. What should they do, everyone try bunting each time up? While there are games that it is seemingly a poor approach that leads them to a poor offensive game against some pitchers, Carpenter is just good and dominates most games he pitches. It isn't a strategy issue, Thom. The other pitcher is just one of the top 10 pitchers in the game.

Also, he talked last night about how it should be "not that big a deal" to find relief help for the back end of the bullpen, or to find middle relievers that can help. Really? The bullpen is one of the biggest determiners of contenders and the Reds are just going to go out there and find an arm "close to as good as Masset" (begging the question of which Masset we're talking about, the prior season Masset or the slumping Masset) as Thom put it.

In the end, I guess all that I can say is that the apple did not fall far from the tree.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hard to Listen to

I'm the biggest GG fan on this site, but TB's done nothing but grow on me this year. Maybe it's cause I have to hear Keels, who I originally thought was good, but is now really grating on me, in between.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Can YOU believe THAT?

I mean.... CAN you BELIEVE ... THAT?

His constant amazement drives me crazy as he brings up the instance over and over again

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Can YOU believe THAT?

His constant amazement drives me crazy as he brings up the instance over and over again
    Oh yea, during that Cards rally in Tuesday's game, even though I could tell from the first inning that it was going to be an offensive game, he went on and on like the Reds 7-3 lead was insurmountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I'm the biggest GG fan on this site, but TB's done nothing but grow on me this year. Maybe it's cause I have to hear Keels, who I originally thought was good, but is now really grating on me, in between.

I have to agree on Keels. He is the antithesis to Brenneman's "Can You Believe That," and that's no good either.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Can YOU believe THAT?

Do you you mean generated, synthetic enthusiasm, punctuated with often repeating sentences for emphasis?

Other than that, I do have to say that TB has grown on me a little bit this year. As has Brantley. Welsh was better with GG; with TB, he just sits there and zones out.

I listen to the Reds about half on radio and half on TV, and am trying to appreciate the vast difference in styles between the 72 announcers the Reds use on their network.

Lately I think TB has done a much better job of deferring to Welsh, who knows a lot more about baseball. He may have realized that he still has stuff to learn.

Still, his whining when things go awry is way too sour for my taste.

I really like Thom. That said, I for the most part love your posts most of the time too...same with WOY...love learning about baseball but I really don't know all that much about it other than I like to watch it, loved to play it when I was a kid and summer wouldn't be summer without the Reds on the radio.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Thom and Chris are pretty good. Listen to some of the other teams' announcers and you'll be thankful we have these guys.
    I think this year they've got caught up a bit in the "pennant race" and may be hyperboling a bit. We all have.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Listening to Marty with the ESPN guys last night was fun. Having 3 men in the booth really livens things up and Marty is much easier on the ears when he breaks out of his cynicism.

Thom on the other hand is just way too much of a generalist. You can tell he's called games for many teams and in many sports. He's always playing peacemaker, speaking in generalities, and not really playing well to the flow of the game.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Thom knows a heck of a lot more about baseball than he lets himself comes across. He intentionally asks rhetorical questions and says things to provoke a response and an intelligent answer from his analysts. Sometimes he simply plays devil's advocate.

In reality, he knows a fair amount about the sport. He sacrifices his perception to magnify the interaction between play-by-play man and color commentator.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I like the Thommy/Welsh combo. Thom does hang up on some silly things and berate them (just like poppa) but wow, do I enjoy broadcasts more this year. Keels could put you to sleep, but that's fine with me, he doesn't get in the way of anything and does a solid job methinks.

Side note: I just recently saw what Kelch looks like. He looks nothing like I'd pictured from the sound of his voice (if that makes any sense). I had pictured an older guy for some reason.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

It could be worse, you could be stuck listening to Sutcliffe on the ESPN feed.
    Where we gonna go?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    It could be worse, you could be stuck listening to Sutcliffe on the ESPN feed.
    True that! Sutcliffe is pretty much a goob.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Lately I think TB has done a much better job of deferring to Welsh, who knows a lot more about baseball. He may have realized that he still has stuff to learn.

Still, his whining when things go awry is way too sour for my taste.
    Like father, like son?

Turn Off Ads?