Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arthur Rhodes hurt?

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Arthur Rhodes hurt?

Looked like he had a slight limp after coming off the mound on a few plays last night. Anyone heard if this was anything significant? Or was this just another cramp he got? I'd hate for him to tweak something because of reoccurring cramping.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arthur Rhodes hurt?

Not sure, but they were really focusing on it during the ESPN broadcast. Looked like he pulled up lame coming off the mound on the ground ball to the right side. The rest of the inning he was treating the leg pretty gingerly, keeping weight off of it.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

you're right about ESPN making a big deal of it. at one point they said that the training staff needed to go out.. but followed it up with a mention of how he's "not coming out" so if that's true, why even go out to the mound?

He had a foot thing a few days ago, and then a cramp.

And he shouldn't have been out there with the team down 4-1 late in the game. But that is another issue entirely.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I agree, no need to use him in that situation. This team can not afford to lose him, and if he is injured why put him at risk by putting him in in a losing cause? IDK, I agree TexasDave.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    And he shouldn't have been out there with the team down 4-1 late in the game. But that is another issue entirely.
    Completely agree. No sense at all.

Wonder what's wrong with his foot?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I read that he cramped up Sunday. Or the foot thing. Either way - why in the world, down 4-1 is a guy who is 40, having issues with his body, out there? i'm surprised too guys.

link from the 31st http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...rhodes-update/

"Baker wasn’t sure if Arthur Rhodes would be available or not. Rhodes left Sunday’s game with a cramp.

“I hope so,” Baker said. “We don’t know yet. We’ve got to preserve Arthur. Everybody wants me to leave him. We’ve got to use some of other guys or else we won’t have Arthur at all. I hate taking Arthur out of those games. Everybody’s got to do their job in order to preserve everyone else.

?
    Last edited by Reds; 06-03-2010 at 09:20 PM.

“I hope so,” Baker said. “We don’t know yet. We’ve got to preserve Arthur. Everybody wants me to leave him. We’ve got to use some of other guys or else we won’t have Arthur at all. I hate taking Arthur out of those games. Everybody’s got to do their job in order to preserve everyone else.”
    I would say being down 4-1 late in a game where Chris Carpenter is pitching pretty well qualifies as one time you might think about preserving him. But that's just my opinion.

Fortunately he didn't run up too high a pitch count,there's a day off the next day, and it's against the Cardinals. I thought it was a dumb move, but maybe Dusty truly thought that was a reasonable chance of a comeback. They've been doing it all year.

Or maybe he had money on the game (I kid!)

IIRC hasn't Rhodes been dealing with a tender groin for a decent portion of the season? I think it may just be one of those nagging injuries that never develop into much more.

I concur
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

got alil captain in u?

If he goes down that's a huge blow to the pen. It's not very good as it is and u take out arguably it's best pitcher and it's down not one notch but two notches.

I think right now would be time to acquire AJ Pierzynski and Matt Thorton from the White Sox for Sam Lecure, Juan Francisco, Mike Lincoln, and Danny Dorn

omg dusty put him in that game. I missed the end of that game. So this is news to me.

Dusty= Facepalm

Turn Off Ads?