Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Thoughts on Brook Jacoby

Thoughts on Brook Jacoby

Earlier this year, it was quite evident that many posters and fans alike were done with Brook Jacoby based upon the Reds offensive output. Now that Jacoby is the hitting coach of the team that currently leads the NL in Runs, HR, Avg, Slg, RBI and is second in OBP, what do people think of Brook now? Has anyone changed their mind?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts on Brook Jacoby

hopefully everyone has, but I know a few won't. people are impatient and prideful. that is not a good mix.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    hopefully everyone has, but I know a few won't. people are impatient and prideful. that is not a good mix.
    You are right about that. I certainly have had to admit I was wrong about a number of Walts moves that I just hated at the time. It is hard to argue with them now. I never really felt one way or the other about Jacoby, but when I hear Haningan talk about what he did for him and to see the different approach from Johnny Gomes you have to give the guy some credit.

I think it just proves how little effect position coaches have on individual player's performances. Jacoby probably had little effect in the struggles, and has had little effect on the sudden improvements. But simply the player's are collectively hitting their stride and gaining some confidence.

The same can be said for Bryan Price...I highly doubt he was much responsible for the early starters struggles, and hasn't been very much responsible for their resurgence.

The position coaches spend more time with pitchers and hitters approaches to various pitchers and opposing hitters than actual techniques, etc. It comes down to a matter of the player's executing the game plans. Lately we have been executing the collective game plans of Price/Jacoby/Baker...early in the season we were not.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I think it just proves how little effect position coaches have on individual player's performances. Jacoby probably had little effect in the struggles, and has had little effect on the sudden improvements. But simply the player's are collectively hitting their stride and gaining some confidence.

The same can be said for Bryan Price...I highly doubt he was much responsible for the early starters struggles, and hasn't been very much responsible for their resurgence.

The position coaches spend more time with pitchers and hitters approaches to various pitchers and opposing hitters than actual techniques, etc. It comes down to a matter of the player's executing the game plans. Lately we have been executing the collective game plans of Price/Jacoby/Baker...early in the season we were not.
    I tend t agree with you on your major point. I think coaches impact tends to be overstated by fans. We have all seen instances where a coach has had an impact on a player here or there like Pinella on Chris Sabo's power or the turn around of Pete Schourek and of course the yearly miracle that is Dave Duncan, but for the most part I do believe players are what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    I tend t agree with you on your major point. I think coaches impact tends to be overstated by fans. We have all seen instances where a coach has had an impact on a player here or there like Pinella on Chris Sabo's power or the turn around of Pete Schourek and of course the yearly miracle that is Dave Duncan, but for the most part I do believe players are what they are.
    Definitely, I would agree the coaches have an effect on some individual players, such as someone brought up Jonny Gomes shortened approach with he falls behind with 2 strikes. That's a credit to Jacoby. Just another example like the few you mentioned.

Some fans think a new hitting coach is going to take a .250 hitting team and turn them into a .270 hitting team. But things just don't happen like that. Outside of Duncan and pitchers as you mentioned.

Turn Off Ads?