Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the 6 untouchables

Re: the 6 untouchables

Since the thread question said to pick six, the six I'd pick are:

(Heisey would have been one, but it looks like he's up in the Majors to stay.)

So....

#1 Chapman
    #2 Klinker
    #3 Joseph
    #4 Mesoraco
    #5 Alonso
    #6 Hotchkiss
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-06-2010 at 05:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kingspoint,

What's the story on Hotchkiss? He's having a pretty good year, but he's a 31st round reliever, why top 6?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Kingspoint,

What's the story on Hotchkiss? He's having a pretty good year, but he's a 31st round reliever, why top 6?
    Regardless of whether it was 31st or 3rd.... why is any reliever on an 'untouchables' list?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Regardless of whether it was 31st or 3rd.... why is any reliever on an 'untouchables' list?
    And why is it Jordan Hotchkiss? It's pretty easy to make a case for Donnie Joseph--but Hotchkiss?.

I'm looking for players whom I feel right now could have "elite" careers in "what they do".

He's not an "untouchable", but if asked to put 6 guys on a list that couldn't be traded in that scenario (the first post of the thread), I'd add Hotchkiss because I feel he could become an elite (one of the 5 best in the Majors) Reliever over a period of 2+ years. That's an extremely valuable piece to a Major League team (see Arthur Rhodes).

I like how he's controlling both batters and situations this year.

If I had to list just "untouchables".

The list would be:

#1 Chapman
    #2 Klinker
    #3 Joseph
    #4 Mesoraco
    #5 Valaika
    #6 Alonso
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-06-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'm looking for players whom I feel right now could have "elite" careers in "what they do".

He's not an "untouchable", but if asked to put 6 guys on a list that couldn't be traded in that scenario (the first post of the thread), I'd add Hotchkiss because I feel he could become an elite (one of the 5 best in the Majors) Reliever over a period of 2+ years. That's an extremely valuable piece to a Major League team (see Arthur Rhodes).

I like how he's controlling both batters and situations this year.
    Does that mean you would be upset if he were left eligible for the rule five draft following the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Does that mean you would be upset if he were left eligible for the rule five draft following the end of the season?
    I think that would be a mistake.

I think that would be a mistake.
    Did you have any thoughts when Ramon Geronimo went unprotected? Carlos Guevara? What separates Hotchkiss from those two?
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=geroni001ram
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=guevar001jos

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Did you have any thoughts when Ramon Geronimo went unprotected? Carlos Guevara? What separates Hotchkiss from those two?
    His ability to throw over 90 MPH would be a start.

I'm not familiar enough with those two to have an opinion worthy of anything. But, I do like Hotchkiss a lot. Do you like those two or one of them especially?
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-06-2010 at 10:28 PM.

I'm not familiar enough with those two to have an opinion worthy of anything. But, I do like Hotchkiss a lot. Do you like those two or one of them especially?
    They're two guys that some of us on RedsZone were fairly high on due to their numbers. However, they were lacking in stuff, and it eventually caught up to both of them. Jordan Hotchkiss has had a great career so far, but I think there's a good reason he hasn't seen AA yet despite being 24 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Everything has its price. Including Chapman.
    I'd trade him for Price for that matter... David, that is.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Here's what I can't get past. If you're offered a player that won't take one of your best six prospects to get, why does it matter which six you won't give up to get him? It's not likely to be a great player you're receiving so why worry about giving up one of the six you value highest?
    It's a hypothetical. If I asked you, what in your life would you NOT give up in order to marry Megan Fox, you have to assume that Megan Fox would merry you if you just gave up one item in your life. There not a chance in hell that would ever happen, but if it did, what would be your answer? It's not meant to be realistic.

And anyway, just assume it's Drayton Moore of the Royals offering you Grenke, for anyone in farm system, but giving you the chance to hold six of them back. That might actually happen.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I look at future needs of the major league team.

1. You always need pitching, so obviously I'm not willing to trade our best pitching prospects - Chapman, Wood, Klinker.

2. We will need a catcher in the future. Mesoraco.

3. Finally, we will need to replace SS in a few years. Right now Cozart is untouchable for me except for a good return in trade.

Other than that, our OF is logjammed for years. So is 1B. We probably need a 2Bman eventually.

Turn Off Ads?