Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the 6 untouchables

High five!

Re: the 6 untouchables

No one is untouchable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Geez give icehole a break. The man asked a simple question but it seems there are too many "smartest guy in the rooms" to give an answer to the question asked.

He asked for 6 minor leaguers.

Here you go.

Wood, Chapman, Frazier, Mes, Y Rod, Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    The word untouchable to me implies five star major league talent.

Roster filler guys like Klinker, Wood & Cozart certainly don't fill that bill. I never get why folks chronically overrate their own team's prospects.

Joey Votto is an untouchable. Jay Bruce maybe. Chapman certainly. Everyone else - can certainly be had for the right price.
    Not that I don't agree with you but you have to consider what you have in the system. A guy like Cozart has more value to the Reds because he is their only SS prospect in the high minors.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Geez give icehole a break. The man asked a simple question but it seems there are too many "smartest guy in the rooms" to give an answer to the question asked.

He asked for 6 minor leaguers.

Here you go.

Wood, Chapman, Frazier, Mes, Y Rod, Alonso
    I don't see what's not "giving a break" about thinking there aren't any "untouchable" players.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I would easily give away Alonso to separate Icehole from his avatar...

No such things as untouchable.

I'd trade anybody, I just have to get back something I deem more valuable than I deemed the 'untouchable.'

Obviously some players would require more than would others. Chapman as an easily cited example would take more to get than would say, Wood. I think Chapman has more long term worth than Wood.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I don't see what's not "giving a break" about thinking there aren't any "untouchable" players.
    He presented a scenario. If the other GM presented that offer to you, you are telling me you would stick your nose in the air and state "there are no untouchables".

It would take an impossibly good offer for me to trade Chapman.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

To satisfy the "there are no untouchables" crowd, which I agree with in principle, can we change the question to "as of 6-4-10, which 6 minor leaguers do you consider the most important to the future of the reds?" which I think was the intent of the question to begin with.

To that I'll answer: Chapman, Yorman, Des, Cozart, Wood, Alonso

High five!

He presented a scenario. If the other GM presented that offer to you, you are telling me you would stick your nose in the air and state "there are no untouchables".
    If I'm getting back a great player, I need to give up someone pretty good. Besides, the Reds farm system is so good they have SIX untouchables that you wouldn't trade for anyone?

I think _THAT_ is the snooty bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    If I'm getting back a great player, I need to give up someone pretty good. Besides, the Reds farm system is so good they have SIX untouchables that you wouldn't trade for anyone?

I think _THAT_ is the snooty bit.
    many deals are made that way

So yes or no Nate, are you going to give us your top 6 keepers or not, pointless semantics aside.

High five!

many deals are made that way
    Maybe on the professional baseball teams you've run, but not mine!

I'm saying no one should untouchable. Let's not confuse that with "everyone is available at firesale prices." Chapman should bring back a hefty return but he's not untouchable.

High five!

So yes or no Nate, are you going to give us your top 6 keepers or not, pointless semantics aside.
    I don't have any keepers.

Nor are the semantics pointless. The Reds are team that's been rebuilding. It's time to finish something. If that means trading someone who might be good for someone who is good at a position of need, you do it.

I will say that my highest priced chip is Chapman.

Nate,

In the big picture, of course there are no untouchables. That was the first sentence of this thread!

The thread however is about what you would do, if a GM from another team offered you a player (who you want), and that GM wanted his choice of farmhand, but allowed you 6 untouchables in the deal. (Arguing whether untouchable was the term to use is arguing sematics). In this scenario, yes, there are 6 untouchables. So, lets say this proposal was made. What list of 6 would you submit to the other GM?

Turn Off Ads?