Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Possible solution for reducing Leake's workload?

Possible solution for reducing Leake's workload?

With the obvious need to limit Leake's IP this season, many have suggested that he will have his turn in the rotation skipped at some point in the season, likely around the All-Star break.

With Leake pitching so well, I wanted to propose a possible alternative solution:

Rather than mess with the preparation, rythm, etc. that go along with being in a big league starting rotation, why not have Leake make all of his starts as scheduled?

But rather than having him pitch a full workload, pull him after a set # of innings or pitches, such as 3 IP or 50 Pitches. Once pulled, the following 3 IP/50 Pitches could be thrown by a recovering Volquez or Chapman, who will also both need their workloads closely monitored.

Most importantly, IMO, this allows Leake to keep his rythm going into the latter part of the season while keeping his IP and pitches thrown totals where they need to be.

I think the team is in a unique situation where they will have 3 pitchers who are all very talented and who all need to be under strict pitch counts. Why not see if we can be creative about it and use it to our advantage?

You could even consider going with Leake for 3, Chapman for 3, and then closing it with Volquez for 3.

I imagine we'd only need to do this 3 or 4 times to get Leake's workload back where we want it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possible solution for reducing Leake's workload?

That could possibly work, but not really until rosters get expanded.

What I think they should do is not really completely skip any of his starts, just give him a couple days rest every couple starts. For example, when you hit an off day, instead of resuming the starting rotation as it was, giving everyone an extra day off, you can have a couple starters stay on normal rest and move leake's start back a couple of days.

For example say the rotation going into the break was:

Harang, Leake, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey

Then after the break it could go:

Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Bailey

This accomplishes reducing his inning total for the year, without increasing the days between his starts by too much.

sounds good im not sure dusty baker is that creative. i dont think you would need to wait for rosters to expand though, michah owings could have a scheduled appearance starting in the 4th or 5th inning as the long reliever when it is leakes turn in the rotation.

It's never a positive when a starter throws only three or four innings, so I don't see how planning it could be a positive either. That just decimates your bullpen and can negatively effect your team for a week or more if you get a couple of those type of games in a two or three game span. I think skipping his start in the rotation occasionally or pushing him back a day or two around off days is the best solution to limiting his workload.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The real problem is that Leake has become our best pitcher. We need him badly.

But if innings are a concern, we could keep LeCure on the roster when Bailey comes back and rotate LeCure and Leake eventually, when Leake's innings approach the high mark. But I'd want to keep Leake available for the postseason, though.

Give Leake his normal start. And when his next start arrives, let LeCure have it. And so on and so on and so on.

But you have to wonder how effective Leake would be pitching every 10 days. Seems like it would be tough to stay sharp doing that. I think occasionally skipping a start would be fine, but to do it with regularity might do more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    It's never a positive when a starter throws only three or four innings, so I don't see how planning it could be a positive either. That just decimates your bullpen and can negatively effect your team for a week or more if you get a couple of those type of games in a two or three game span. I think skipping his start in the rotation occasionally or pushing him back a day or two around off days is the best solution to limiting his workload.
    I don't see why it would have to decimate the bullpen.

Call up Chapman the day of Leake's next start. Pitch Leake 3 innings, followed by Chapman for 3 innings. Then proceed with the bullpen as normal. Effectively, the team got 6 innings out of it's 'starter'. After the game, send Chapman back to the minors. Now wait 2 or 3 weeks and do it again. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    But you have to wonder how effective Leake would be pitching every 10 days. Seems like it would be tough to stay sharp doing that. I think occasionally skipping a start would be fine, but to do it with regularity might do more harm than good.
    Keeping Leake sharp and healthy is my main concern. That's what I felt could be accomplished by this. He's doing so well, I'd hate to mess with his routine at this point.

They don't need to do much if they want him to pitch into October.

In 2008, at age 22, Johnny Cueto racked up 174 innings pitched. Leake is 22 now so I'm guessing the target for Leake is around the same. He is at 73 innings pitched right now. Therefore, if he averages 6 innings per start, he has another 16 or 17 starts left. That puts him into September. They could have him skip a start in there somewhere which would extend his season a bit. If they make the playoffs, 2 or 3 more starts would not kill him.

Turn Off Ads?