Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Reds Griffey Moments (long)

Favorite Reds Griffey Moments (long)

Mods please don't consolodate this into the Griffey retirement thread...

I was as bad as anyone for criticizing and blaming Griffey for the Reds misery last decade...however after his trade and retirement I began to realize how lucky we were to have one of the greatest players of all time to play for so long in our great baseball city.

Anyway to the point, I was thinking about my favorite Griffey moments as a Red. I would like to hear everyone else's. Please remember these may not be his best moment but they are MY favorite moments.

1. The trade February 2000-Just coming off 96 wins you began to think this was a new Reds dynasty in the making. Doesn't hurt to mention former MVP Bichette had been traded to the Reds as well. I remember calling my dad when the trade was made offical and I said "Order us World Series tickets, we just got Ken Griffey, Jr.!" I still have my offical KGJ jersey that I bought at the Barboursville Mall in Huntington, WV, 2 sizes too big cause they had sold out of all others. But I didn't care I really wanted one.

2. May 11, 2006-Remember how great it was to be a Reds fan until around July 1 or so that year? Well for me the first 3 months of the season were great. My daughter was born on May 2 the same day Javier Valentine hit a walkoff single to beat the Cardinals. I was watching the game in the delievery room with my wife and after the hit I said ok honey you can have her now! The next week my cousin and I were watching TV, I was watching the Reds/Nationals game, he was watching Pantera's BTM. He told me to let him know who won the game. Griffey had been injured and made his return that night to hit a walk off pinch hit 3 run home run in extra innings to cap a come from behind victory. I noncholantly walk into the next room, he asked what happened and I said ah not much Griffey just hit a walk off homerun to win the game!

3. 2007 All Star Game-The only game in which Griffey started the ASG as a Red. It seemed that it was a long time coming to see him announced as a starter in the game. Granted he also made it in 2000 and 2004 but did not play. Oh yeah he also went 2-2 with 2 RBIs in the 07 ASG.

4. August 2000 vs. Braves-on this particular night PEte Harnisch and Tom Glavine faced each other. The Reds came out on top, something like 10-5. Griffey had a dinger and so did Harnisch!

5. May 8, 2004 vs. Giants-Griffey vs. Bonds, Griffey had 2 HRs, Larkin had one, Reds won 5-3.

Those are my favorites, what about yours?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Re: Favorite Reds Griffey Moments (long)

The day that will live on forever in my mind as "Griffey Day" that wonderful day in February when we sign the best player in baseball. I really thought we had something going. As mentioned above coming off a really good year. We had just sured up our power hitter in the 3 hole for a decade. He had restructured his contract so we could sign other players. We were on a serious high.

But my favorite Griffey moment was fathers day in St. Louis when Griffey hit 500. My friends and I had followed him for several days. My friends followed him for several towns, I jumped onboard for the final leg and was ready to go the distance till he hit it. It was a special moment for all who were there. When Sr came down and they hugged, the crowd really knew it was something very special. That is what I will remember. The road trip, the memories and the bonds that griffey gave to my friends and I.

Thanks Kid you will always be the best.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

The day we signed him.

Then the day we got rid of him.

I have other favorite griffey moments just not reds favorite griffey moments.

My favorite Griffey moment happened on July 31st, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    The day we signed him.

Then the day we got rid of him.

I have other favorite griffey moments just not reds favorite griffey moments.
    Yea this is basically true.

I loved when we got him, thought it was the greatest day in Reds history. I also was happy yo see him go, not because I wanted to get rid of him but because he was going somewhere to play for a playoff spot, and we finally turned the page.

I honestly cant say I really remember too many moments he had as a Red. His Homers for 500 and 600 sure but when it comes to favorite moments I dont really include milestones. Doesnt compare to Dunn and Randas back to backs, doesnt compare to Phillips stealing 2 bags on the same play.

got alil captain in u?

That griffey homer in extras against the nationals sticks out in my mind for the homer and the call by marty. I clearly remember marty hammering jim bowden after the homer.

May 11, 2006. I was watching the game downstairs at my parents' house and I yelled "HELL YEAH!" when Griffey hit the walkoff 3-run homer. Apparently I woke Mom up and she wasn't too happy.

The Griffey 2 out, 0-2 homer off an untouchable Billy Wagner in 2000 in Houston. That was one of his WOW swings.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I can't remember the date, so here goes.

We were playing the Marlins and Jack McKeon intentially walked the batter before Griffey to create a force out. I think it put runners at first and second. Anyway, Junior promptly drills one over the fence. As he's rounding third, he stares at McKeon in the Marlins dugout and crosses the plate with a determined look on his face. McKeon insulted him big time.

Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    The day that will live on forever in my mind as "Griffey Day" that wonderful day in February when we sign the best player in baseball. I really thought we had something going. As mentioned above coming off a really good year. We had just sured up our power hitter in the 3 hole for a decade. He had restructured his contract so we could sign other players. We were on a serious high.

But my favorite Griffey moment was fathers day in St. Louis when Griffey hit 500. My friends and I had followed him for several days. My friends followed him for several towns, I jumped onboard for the final leg and was ready to go the distance till he hit it. It was a special moment for all who were there. When Sr came down and they hugged, the crowd really knew it was something very special. That is what I will remember. The road trip, the memories and the bonds that griffey gave to my friends and I.

Thanks Kid you will always be the best.

Ditto for me, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    That griffey homer in extras against the nationals sticks out in my mind for the homer and the call by marty. I clearly remember marty hammering jim bowden after the homer.
    Quote Originally Posted by brachial pleXUs View Post
    May 11, 2006. I was watching the game downstairs at my parents' house and I yelled "HELL YEAH!" when Griffey hit the walkoff 3-run homer. Apparently I woke Mom up and she wasn't too happy.
    Same for me. I was lucky enough to be at that game. I remember it was during the week and there was a rain delay. Since it was a school night many parents left with their children. There was hardly anyone left by the time they resumed the game. My friend and I were able to sit in the very first row behind third base once it started again. We screamed so loud and jumped up and down so much once he belted that dinger. It was well worth the wait through the weather.

For me it was his grand slam against Zumaya (even though we ended up losing). Zumaya was throwin gas and Griffey just smoked it!!

September 25, 2006: Junior, after about three weeks off due to injury, comes out to pinch-hit and drills a three-run blast off of Scott Eyre to beat the Cubs. The only time, really, that the Reds have been in any kind of pennant race since the '99 season and I thought that fate had just stepped in. I mean, come on, after a moment like that I just knew Cincinnati was going to make the playoffs. I was wrong, of course, but hope is a drug. And for a day or two I was a playoff junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I can't remember the date, so here goes.

We were playing the Marlins and Jack McKeon intentially walked the batter before Griffey to create a force out. I think it put runners at first and second. Anyway, Junior promptly drills one over the fence. As he's rounding third, he stares at McKeon in the Marlins dugout and crosses the plate with a determined look on his face. McKeon insulted him big time.

Classic.
    Yep, it was Casey he walked and I loved that one as well.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00405250.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    For me it was his grand slam against Zumaya (even though we ended up losing). Zumaya was throwin gas and Griffey just smoked it!!
    Yes, this was one of my favorites. For the most part these are pretty good, it seems like he had an inside the park homerun to win a game. Does anyone remember that? My favorite Griffey moment would have been the day the Reds actually put a winning team around him, sadly they never did that and because of his injuries and his salary, although it was far below market, he is basically blamed for the Reds losing by Reds fans who tend to dislike the highest paid player on the team.

Turn Off Ads?