Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn

Adam Dunn

Since we are playing Washington tonight I wanted to get everyone's opinion on Adam Dunn. What exactly is his legacy as a Red. Twenty years from now will we look at him on a positive or negative light? He lived up to every expectation he had in the minor leagues. He put up 40 home run seasons. He struck out more often than not in clutch situations it seemed like. I just don't know what to think about him at this point. You knew what you was getting with the guy.

I think in the end I will look at him as one of the positive things that happened during a very negative time, although I don't look at the guy as a winner. The way he carried himself from day to day was not that of a leader. That's ok though. It wasn't it his style. He was just the big laid back Texan who hit alot of homers. All of the loses never seemed to bother him. He just went about hitting his 40 homers and striking out alot. I think deep down, I really wanted him to be a more vocal leader. I guess it would have been a different story if the Reds didn't have Paul Wilson as there opening day starter.

One thing I think the Reds messed up on with him was not moving him to first base permanently when Casey left. I don't think he belonged anywhere near left field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Dunn

A good hitter, that ultimately should have been used for his OBP instead of his slugging.

man i dont know if anybody remember the walk-off grand slam that adam dunn hit off former big leaguer Bob Wickman but that was one great moment

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    man i dont know if anybody remember the walk-off grand slam that adam dunn hit off former big leaguer Bob Wickman but that was one great moment
    That was awesome!! Wickman was lights out until that hit

Reds are 131-128 since Dunn left. Dunn could have completely remade his image and got a big contract, if he played well for two months and led AZ to the playoffs. He also never seemed to progress. He hit as well the half season he first came up, than he ever did again. It was as if he did not control his own desitiny. What ever happened, happened.

He's not a team leader type, and the Reds needed him to be that type of guy. Unfortunately, as one of the faces of the franchise, he got a lot of the game, even if much of that he didn't deserve.

I still have my Reds dunn shirt and still rock it from time to time lol.

Schnickelfritz

Miss his plate appearances but not his defense.

Once the Reds finally put together a solid team for a few years, fans will realize how bad the players were than Dunn was surrounded with. Eventually Dunn will be appreciated for his 40hr/100Rbi seasons as a Red, but will never be considered one of the "great" Reds, which he does not deserve. But he was definitely a good Red.

Dunn is a pretty good (albeit power heavy) offensive baseball player who never worked hard, never won, and was never a top 10 player at his position at any point during his career. That's how he should be remembered.

Look at where he ranks among current 1B. I'd pick all of these guys over Dunn:

Ryan Howard
    Prince Fielder
    Joey Votto
    Albert Pujols
    Lance Berkman
    Adrian Gonzalez
    Mark Teixeira
    Kevin Youkilis
    Miguel Cabrera
    Justin Morneau
    Paul Konerko

Todd Helton and Derek Lee aren't currently having better years, but they've had better careers than Dunn and will be remembered as better players.

Billy Butler, Kendry Morales, and James Loney haven't had the kinds of careers that Dunn has had, but they're all currently having better years (ok, maybe not Loney) and they could all turn out to have better careers than Dunn.

Even if you go by OPS, he's currently 7th and he's ahead of Berkman, Fielder, Howard, and Teixeira and no GM in their right mind would take Dunn for one season over any of those four.
    Last edited by OGB; 06-05-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I always liked Dunn a lot. With that being said in I believe the 7th Inn Fri w/ the bases loaded I remebered why I would get so frustrated with him. It was nice to see him do that against the Reds not for them. He always had 40 + and 100+ but not very many big ones give me Gomes,Votto even Cabrera. Dunn's legacy will be he'd a towering HR when the Reds were down by 5 or up by 5. Very few clutch hits.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Dunn is a pretty good (albeit power heavy) offensive baseball player who never worked hard, never won, and was never a top 10 player at his position at any point during his career. That's how he should be remembered.

Look at where he ranks among current 1B. I'd pick all of these guys over Dunn:

Ryan Howard
    Prince Fielder
    Joey Votto
    Albert Pujols
    Lance Berkman
    Adrian Gonzalez
    Mark Teixeira
    Kevin Youkilis
    Miguel Cabrera
    Justin Morneau
    Paul Konerko

Todd Helton and Derek Lee aren't currently having better years, but they've had better careers than Dunn and will be remembered as better players.

Billy Butler, Kendry Morales, and James Loney haven't had the kinds of careers that Dunn has had, but they're all currently having better years (ok, maybe not Loney) and they could all turn out to have better careers than Dunn.

Even if you go by OPS, he's currently 7th and he's ahead of Berkman, Fielder, Howard, and Teixeira and no GM in their right mind would take Dunn for one season over any of those four.
    Its a bit unfair to look at 1B and call it his position when he rarely played there as a Red, and has only made the shift to regular 1B for the Nats in recent years. His production at 1B is pretty pedestrian, yes, and that's combined with poor defense to boot.

If you look at him as a LF he's was one of the better ones, though I'm not sure he would have been worth the money he could have demanded if we tried to keep him as a Red. I was never a Dunn fan, despised having to watch his defense, and cursed many times as he struggled w/RISP, but I have to admit he was a good player. I don't think I'll ever be able to look back and consider him as a "great," but he deserves some praise.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

He was what we thought he was gonna be. lots of hr, lots of k's, very few clutch AB.

As Marty said the other night......."Adam Dunn does what he did with the Reds, and that's not hit with runners on base...."
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

An average mlb power hitter. He's a great talent, and he's got skill (obviously you have to to be in majors), but he's not a hall-of-famer and I've never known him to be a leader. You could win with him, and maybe if he played in the right era he would be considered the most powerful bat in the game. But for most eras, this one for sure, he's not an all-star.

Is he an outfielder, 1st basemen, or should he be a DH? I don't know. He's never under or over-impressed me.

Do they still call him The Big Donkey?
    Last edited by Reds; 06-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.

I know this sounds stupid but watching him play makes me feel like he is still on the Reds. It's like nothing has changed. He still wears Red. He looks the same. When I see him it's my natural instinct to hope he gets a hit, then I realize he's not a Red. Especially when I see him play against someone other than the Reds. It's weird.

Turn Off Ads?