• Josh VanMeter

6 16.67%
  • Jacob Heatherly

4 11.11%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: Who is the Reds #27 Prospect

Who is the Reds #27 Prospect

The somewhat controversial Connor Joe was selected as our #27 Prospect. No names were added.

Michael Byrne (21) - Closer from Univ Florida - 14th Round 2018 pick. Started in Daytona and 1.25 ERA in 20 innings.
    Fidel Castro (20) RF from Havana, Cuba. Oops. Dominican Republic. Posts .921 OPS in Az Rookie league as 19 year old.
    Jacob Heatherly (20) - LHP from Cullman, AL. 3rd Round draft in 2017. 5.82 ERA in Greeneville.
    Ryan Hendrix (24) RHP from Texas A&M. Drafted in 5th Round of 2016 Draft. 1.76 ERA in High A last year
    Joel Kuhnel (23) - RHP from UT Arlington. 11th round pick in 2016. 3.04 ERA in Daytona out of bullpen.
    Packy Naughton (22) - LHP from Va Tech. 9th Round pick in 2017. 4.03 ERA in Dayton.
    Alex Powers (27) - RHP. AA Closer in 2018. 18/20 Saves. 2.34 ERA and .097 Whip. Acquired as FA after release by W Sox.
    Reiver Sanmartin (23) - LHP from Columbia. 2.81 ERA across several levels in 2018. Acquired from Yankees in Sonny Gray trade.
    Debby Santana (18) 3B from Dominican Republic. Hit .250 with .721 OPS in Az as 17 year old. Signed as Intl Free Agent in Aug 2016.
    Bren Spillane (22) 1b/RF from Univ Illinois. 2018 Big Ten Player of Year, 33rd round pick in 2018. .814 OPS in Billings.
    Andy Sugillo (22) - OF hit .345 with .862 OPS and 20 SB in 2017. .297 and .730 OPS in 2nd half in 2018. Signed as International Free Agent in Oct 2013. Bonus $125K.
    Josh Van Meter (23) .841 OPS in AA and in second half had .356/.568/.924 in AAA. Acquired in trade with Padres for Rule 5 player.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is the Reds #27 Prospect

I'll make the case for my guy here. Bren Spillane hit .389/.498/.903 for Illinois last year, leading the Big 10 in batting average and home runs. His pro debut could have been better, but it wasn't a disaster even with a K rate too high. Nobody (well, almost nobody) was holding Jonathan India's last season numbers against him too much, so I think it's time to look at Spillane's overall profile and give him the nod here.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Are the Byrne votes due to his sparkling ERA from last year or for some other reason? I am glad to have him in the organization, but I do not think he has the tools of a guy like Spillane or Sugilio.

I get that all guys have warts now, but I cast my vote for Spillane since I can see him as a poor man's Adam Dunn.

Byrne seems more like a guy who got lucky in a very small sample in the bullpen last year.

5. Likes:

OGB (02-15-2019),Tom Servo (02-14-2019)

Having looked over the list of minor-leaguers coming to camp in two weeks, there are some guys I'd mention for possible inclusion on the upcoming ballots.

Tejay Antone
    Claudio Finol
    Miles Gordon
    Drew Mount
    Wennington Romero
    Jared Solomon
    Randy Ventura
    Jonathan Willems

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Are the Byrne votes due to his sparkling ERA from last year or for some other reason? I am glad to have him in the organization, but I do not think he has the tools of a guy like Spillane or Sugilio.

I get that all guys have warts now, but I cast my vote for Spillane since I can see him as a poor man's Adam Dunn.

Byrne seems more like a guy who got lucky in a very small sample in the bullpen last year.
    I started pimping Byrne. Was top closer in college last year, then straight to Daytona and didn't slack off. If not for his signing bonus, he would still be at Florida. Rumors were he would be tried as a starter this year and I have higher hopes for him, than most left on this list. 1.25 ERA at highA. isn't something to turn your nose up on.

I don't dislike him and I hope he turns out to be a revelation, but the case for Byrne seems awfully flimsy to me. He throws 90-92 mph and didn't warrant mention in any lists of Reds prospects, even deep ones like Fangraphs or MLB.com. To this point I think you have to have Ryan Hendrix and Joel Kuhnel both ahead of him just on relievers alone.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-14-2019)

I guess I put too much emphasis on age. IMO, a 23-24 year old with any upside should atleast had a cup of coffee in AA, and be ready to take the next step forward (yeah, I know....Reds)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't dislike him and I hope he turns out to be a revelation, but the case for Byrne seems awfully flimsy to me. He throws 90-92 mph and didn't warrant mention in any lists of Reds prospects, even deep ones like Fangraphs or MLB.com. To this point I think you have to have Ryan Hendrix and Joel Kuhnel both ahead of him just on relievers alone.
    Agreed, Hendrix's ceiling is higher than Byrne's. Though I think Byrne is the safer bet to be a major leaguer, making Hendrix's floor lower.

In 52 games across 2 levels, in 2 different countries.

.278 .407 .517 .924

33 BB's 14 2B's 8 3B's 4 HR's

He was 19 years old, turned 20 in December.

Fidel Castro should be in Greeneville this year, and then Billings when their season starts.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    In 52 games across 2 levels, in 2 different countries.

.278 .407 .517 .924

33 BB's 14 2B's 8 3B's 4 HR's

He was 19 years old, turned 20 in December.

Fidel Castro should be in Greeneville this year, and then Billings when their season starts.
    Billings and Greeneville start at the same time. Although officially at the same level, it sure appears the competition was better in the Pioneer League. So I suspect Greenville for Fidel.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?