Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official (First) Draft Day Thread - 2010

Re: The Official (First) Draft Day Thread - 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Interesting. Strange that the Indians would want him that badly with Santana. I guess either way he won't be falling to 12.
    Would be interesting to have two hitting catchers, have them each play 75-85 games at catcher and another 75-85 at DH.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Frankie Piliere will be chatting starting at 1:00.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/

As of right now, I think I would take Bryce Brentz at No. 12. He's got above average power to all fields, a nice short stroke, average speed, a strong arm, and projects as a solid defender. He's got a very high ceiling and a chance to move fast through the system. If he's there when the Reds pick, unless a guy like Chris Sale or Drew Pomeranz falls to No. 12, Brentz would be my pick.

Would McGuire sign for slot with the Reds? Something tells me he wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Frankie Piliere will be chatting starting at 1:00.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/
    Apparently Cox and Castellanos are both sliding big time due to $6MM bonus demands, according to Pilliere, who has Cox sliding into the 20s and Castellanos out of the first round.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Cox, who could be the heir apparent to either Rolen or Phillips.

Pilliere has the Reds taking Wimmers in his final mock, with Brentz, Whitson, Castellanos, Cox, and Wilson all still on the board (all of which I'd prefer to Wimmers.)
    Grandal, McGuire, Choice, Colon, and the Sales are all taken before the Reds pick.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-07-2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Apparently Cox and Castellanos are both sliding big time due to $6MM bonus demands, according to Pilliere, who has Cox sliding into the 20s and Castellanos out of the first round.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Cox, who could be the heir apparent to either Rolen or Phillips.

Pilliere has the Reds taking Wimmers in his final mock, with Brentz, Whitson, Castellanos, Cox, and Wilson all still on the board (all of which I'd prefer to Wimmers.)
    Grandal, McGuire, Choice, Colon, and the Sales are all taken before the Reds pick.
    You wouldn't mind them taking Cox and paying him $6M?

Goldstein seems to think Cox has HR power in the teens, which at GABP, would be unlikely. He looks like Dan Uggla to me, but I didn't know he wanted that much $$$, may not be worth it.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Here is Frankie Piliere's final mock draft that Beni alluded to:

12. Reds | Alex Wimmers (RHP) | Ohio State
    After the success of Mike Leake last year, Wimmers is a logical pick here. Scouts love his secondary offerings and command. He's not Leake, but he is very, very good. Cincinnati has been high on him all spring and is looking to sign a player for slot. He fits that bill, as would Yasmani Grandal, who they have also shown heavy interest in if he somehow slides. Deck McGuire fits here as well.
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/07/m...nal-countdown/

Could high $$$ demands be a ploy by some players to land in a better organization? Seems likely, really a win-win for the player.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You wouldn't mind them taking Cox and paying him $6M?
    As I've said before, I would like to see the Reds draft who they truly believe is the BPA in this draft regardless of monetary demands. Then, offer him slot or slightly above slot (whatever the Reds can afford in their budget) and see what he does. If he signs, great, you have a true top talent. If he doesn't, you get the #12 pick next year in a hopefully stronger draft.

This strategy would work especially well with college players (like Cox or Grandal) as opposed to HS players who may be totally happy to go to school (like Wilson).
    Go BLUE!!!

Jonathan Mayo's final mock draft:

12. Cincinnati Reds: Brett Eibner, RHP/OF, University of Arkansas
    Grandal could stop here if he doesn't go above, but college arm is the likely scenario. It's just a question of which one.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

[Comment From Ben: ]
    What about the Reds? McGuire, Wimmers, Colon, or someone else?
    Monday June 7, 2010 1:52 Ben

Frankie Piliere:
    I was very torn between McGuire and Wimmers there, but I heard a late rumor that Toronto is considering McGuire at all. Cincy loves Wimmers, just loves him so unless someone unexpected is there I have those two linked. They expect Colon and Grandal will be gone.
    Go BLUE!!!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

John Sickels has his last mock draft up and it has the Reds taking Wimmers

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...raft#storyjump

12) Reds: Alex Wimmers, RHP, Ohio State University: he's local, he's polished, he's affordable. The pick makes too much sense. I like Wimmers a lot and I think people undersell his ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    As of right now, I think I would take Bryce Brentz at No. 12. He's got above average power to all fields, a nice short stroke, average speed, a strong arm, and projects as a solid defender. He's got a very high ceiling and a chance to move fast through the system. If he's there when the Reds pick, unless a guy like Chris Sale or Drew Pomeranz falls to No. 12, Brentz would be my pick.
    Brentz is the dude Id be extremely happy with. I love guys who have enough to be be above average with every tool.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Cox is interesting - $6mil is a joke and he knows it but $3mil is much more likely. Do the Reds believe in his bat enough to pay $3mil for it?

Turn Off Ads?