• Alex Wimmers

16 21.62%
  • Other

2 2.70%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who is your pick?

Re: Who is your pick?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Austin Wilson doesn't make sense for this team. They need guys who can help soon, not lottery tickets. The Reds have a nice window right now, it would be nice to get a guy or 2 who profile to contribute during that time.
    You can't possibly know who can help soon and who can't. This isn't the NFL or the NBA. Even the best prospects from each draft take 2 years to reach the majors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course he isn't, but he is going to listen to exactly what Chris Buckley tells him. Buckley controls the pick.
    I think Buckely controls the pick based upon what Walt tells him he is thinking. Walt wants guys who are x, y or z, Buckely takes that into account. If Buckley says that he and his team want to take a guy who Walt has problems with, I bet there is a discussion.

I think Buckely controls the pick based upon what Walt tells him he is thinking. Walt wants guys who are x, y or z, Buckely takes that into account. If Buckley says that he and his team want to take a guy who Walt has problems with, I bet there is a discussion.
    You can keep thinking. I have seen multiple sources that basically say the GM just lets the scouting director do his job. The GM hires a scouting director because he trusts him to make the right decisions. If the GM didn't like what the scouting director did, he wouldn't keep him around.

You can't possibly know who can help soon and who can't. This isn't the NFL or the NBA. Even the best prospects from each draft take 2 years to reach the majors.
    I am saying guys who profile to help soon. What I have read on this guy Wilson is that he is a raw talent. He doesn't profile to help soon. Then I stay away unless there is an overwhelming majority from my scouts that tell me that this is the guy that we have to have. In the current Cincy situation.

I am saying guys who profile to help soon. What I have read on this guy Wilson is that he is a raw talent. He doesn't profile to help soon. Then I stay away unless there is an overwhelming majority from my scouts that tell me that this is the guy that we have to have.
    If the Reds had the money, I bet you he would be the guy your scouts would all tell you that he is the guy you have to have.

At #12, especially in this draft, you aren't getting anyone near a sure bet. Its a weak draft and even in strong drafts you aren't getting any sure bets here.

You can keep thinking. I have seen multiple sources that basically say the GM just lets the scouting director do his job. The GM hires a scouting director because he trusts him to make the right decisions. If the GM didn't like what the scouting director did, he wouldn't keep him around.
    The scouts scout, the GM manages the organization. If the scouts wanted to pick a catcher 3 times in a row in the top 10 I would imagine the GM would want to talk about that a bit.

Maybe certain GMs allow the scouting director some rope, but if the GM disagrees with the direction of the pick he would be an idiot to keep his mouth shut. He needs to get comfortable with the selection.

The scouts scout, the GM manages the organization. If the scouts wanted to pick a catcher 3 times in a row in the top 10 I would imagine the GM would want to talk about that a bit.

Maybe certain GMs allow the scouting director some rope, but if the GM disagrees with the direction of the pick he would be an idiot to keep his mouth shut. He needs to get comfortable with the selection.
    The GM has very little to do with the minor leagues. Very, very little. He puts other people in place to deal with that. His job is the major league team first and foremost. Everything else is very far down the totem pole for him.

The scouting director isn't going to take 3 catchers in a row. He just isn't. But it won't be because the GM said not to, its because he isn't stupid. He knows he has rosters to fill out in the system.

Its not certain GM's.... its almost all of them. Not sure where you get your information from on who runs the draft, but its pretty invalid. Scouting directors run it. The GM approves the budget they get to sign players, but beyond that, the scouting director (Chris Buckley in our case) is the one making the decisions based on what his scouts tell him.

Austin Wilson doesn't make sense for this team. They need guys who can help soon, not lottery tickets. The Reds have a nice window right now, it would be nice to get a guy or 2 who profile to contribute during that time.
    Honestly what player in the draft do you see stepping into the starting lineup or starting rotation right now and being an upgrade over what we currently have?

The only place this roster needs significant help right now is the bullpen and I cringe at the idea of taking a relief pitcher with the #12 pick.

The GM has very little to do with the minor leagues. Very, very little. He puts other people in place to deal with that. His job is the major league team first and foremost. Everything else is very far down the totem pole for him.

The scouting director isn't going to take 3 catchers in a row. He just isn't. But it won't be because the GM said not to, its because he isn't stupid. He knows he has rosters to fill out in the system.

Its not certain GM's.... its almost all of them. Not sure where you get your information from on who runs the draft, but its pretty invalid. Scouting directors run it. The GM approves the budget they get to sign players, but beyond that, the scouting director (Chris Buckley in our case) is the one making the decisions based on what his scouts tell him.
    This is fairly consistent with what I believe to be the case:

While the on-field scouting is done, he said, the Reds are determining certain players financial demands. That could influence the pick, but won't be the deciding factor, Buckley said.

"(Genral manager) Walt (Jocketty) and Bob Castellini have told me everyone's in play," Buckley said. "(Thursday) when we have the last piece of information, they may hear some thing that changes their mind."

Buckley was hired by former general manager Wayne Krivsky, but said the team's draft approach hasn’t changed under Jocketty.

"I think they had pretty similar philosophies, bring in as much talent as you can, you get the best guys with the best make-up," Buckley said. "Walt's been in and out, just like Wayne was. (Jocketty) is totally up to date. He's looked at a lot of films, he's heard a lot of scouts. They're very similar in their approach."
    http://www.700wlw.com/script2/print....feed_id=265471

Walt and Bob told him that everyone is in play. So he is taking direction from the higher-ups as to what he should and shouldn't be thinking. That draft maybe everyone is in play, the next one maybe not so much.

Walt and Bob may hear things that change their minds.

Walt has a philosophy. Walt has spoken to scouts and is up to date.

That's all I am saying. The GM has to speak to the scouting team and say what he is thinking is best for the organization. The scouts don't sit there by themselves and give the name to Walt 5 minutes before the announcement. He lets them do their job based upon his philosophy, guidance and direction.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Honestly what player in the draft do you see stepping into the starting lineup or starting rotation right now and being an upgrade over what we currently have?

The only place this roster needs significant help right now is the bullpen and I cringe at the idea of taking a relief pitcher with the #12 pick.
    I never said right now. Ever.

Knowing now that Cox wants 6 million, I'd kind of like that pick back. I'll take Sale if he's there.

This is fairly consistent with what I believe to be the case:

http://www.700wlw.com/script2/print....feed_id=265471

Walt and Bob told him that everyone is in play. So he is taking direction from the higher-ups as to what he should and shouldn't be thinking. That draft maybe everyone is in play, the next one maybe not so much.

Walt and Bob may hear things that change their minds.

Walt has a philosophy. Walt has spoken to scouts and is up to date.

That's all I am saying. The GM has to speak to the scouting team and say what he is thinking is best for the organization. The scouts don't sit there by themselves and give the name to Walt 5 minutes before the announcement. He lets them do their job based upon his philosophy, guidance and direction.
    All that says is that Walt and Bob set the budget. That is it.

That said, how come no one likes Dylan Covey around here? Strong HS RHP with two excellent pitches and good feel, comparisons to Billingsley, what's not to like?

That's certainly not the way I read it. Jocketty (and Castellini) have input and are informed at virtually every step of the way. They have first dibs on specific people that are "out"; that is, you're not gonna pick X, Y, or Z even if they're the best choice, Mr. Reynolds.

Is Jocketty telling Reynolds whom to pick? No, probably not per se.

But he's certainly in charge and will okay the pick before it gets picked.

That's what edabbs has said, and that's what that article backs up.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Not sure about that. Especially since setting a budget would be "Here's $6MM, go at it". This is more about a specific pick and the money tied to that specific pick.

I am sure this is like any other business. Bob and Walt let these guys do their thing and then they will need to pitch their thoughts and decisions on early picks to them. Then Walt (and maybe Bob) will oversee and decide if they are comfortable with their direction.

I bet the rest of the draft involves the scouting team making more and more of the decisions (outside of someone materially above slot that they want to take), but the early pick(s) have to involve the GM more. It just has to. Jocketty has to be on board with that short list going into tonight.

Turn Off Ads?