Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips knocking over Wil Nieves

Brandon Phillips knocking over Wil Nieves

Awesome photo (and play for that matter)...courtesy of Haraz N. Ghanbari of the AP.

Has Phillips been talking to Pete Rose recently. I can't remember the last time a Red was aggressive like this coming home. Seriously.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 06-05-2010 at 11:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips knocking over Wil Nieves

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Awesome photo (and play for that matter)...courtesy of Haraz N. Ghanbari of the AP.

Has Phillips been talking to Pete Rose recently. I can't remember the last time a Red was aggressive like this coming home. Seriously.
    no play at the plate will beat Norm Charlton barrelling a catcher during the late 1990 season. Lou almost had a heart attack.

Brandon has been playing very good baseball since his move to the #2 spot in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    no play at the plate will beat Norm Charlton barrelling a catcher during the late 1990 season. Lou almost had a heart attack.

Brandon has been playing very good baseball since his move to the #2 spot in the lineup.
    I agree fully...but again, that was 20 years ago! The Reds have not had anyone plowing a catcher like that in recent memory.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Pete Rose and Norm Charleton would be proud

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

I thought Phillips pulled up a bit myself...could have been worse. Not trying to be contrary but that wasn't a Pete Rose bulldoze.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

I'm glad to see these guys playing with that kind of chip on their shoulders.
    I, for one, loved Phillips barreling over Nieves, then stomping and gesturing.
    I loved Jonny Gomes staring a hole through Christina on Wednesday night after he got hit.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dunn also ran over Lieberthal, which led to that big brawl with the Phillies

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Hopefully that ends the hustling bashing of last month. BP plays hard, he plays hurt, and he plays with passion for the game.

I loved it, but didn't like the chest bumping thing after. Just go to the dugout, bro.

For that reason alone (and not for trucking Nieves), I don't blame the Nats for beaning him next AB.

I loved both the collision and the chest bump while Phillips stepped on the plate. The Reds need a swagger and a fear factor about them, and that helps build it up.

This is why I would have loved to have seen them just take it to the Cardinals any way possible earlier this week. As far as I'm concerned, when a guy like Chris Carpenter or Colby Rasmus runs their mouth, then the Reds need to respond full force. Drill a hitter with a pitch or take out an infielder or catcher. Let the Cardinals know that their run of dominating the division is over, and the Reds are there to do something about it. Play with a massive chip on the shoulder and mean it.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Didn't Dunn also steamroll the catcher in SD? Was it...Wiki Gonzalez?

If that beanball broke Phillips hand we'd be in a world of hurt now. Inviting a 95 mph fastball to be thrown at you is ummm....stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Dunn also ran over Lieberthal, which led to that big brawl with the Phillies
    Dunn also blew up Wiki Gonzalez of the Padres in 2001. Gonzalez had to leave the game with a concussion.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?