Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yasmani Grandal

Might as well start the official thread for the Reds' first round pick.

Feel free to post any and all information on Yasmani here.
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Yasmani Grandal

Will they keep him at catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Will they keep him at catcher?
    Put him in LF or 1B. We don't have many guys at those spots.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yes, he is known most for his defense, so he is a catcher all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Everything I have seen says his Defense is avg. at best and that is his bat that will get him drafted.

Really??? Not questioning you, but when I saw we drafted him, I thought it was cause of his bat, he never imprtessed me in colelg ein any form or fashion as a catcher, granted I only saw him a few games, but he seemed like that big kid who could crush in little league and he just never found a position. I am of course hoping your right, we need a good high quality catcher coming through, I just didn't think that was this guy.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

FWIW, I remember when the Reds took Yonder, Buckley really praised the recent Miami tradition of batters, mentioning Aubrey Huff and Ryan Braun. Seems that continues on.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

IF he signs, I think the plan is for him to remain at Catcher. However, if Mez can continue to rake, they will either have an extremely valuable trade chip or they can move Grandal to 3B. Hopefully he'll have enough stick to play there.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    IF he signs, I think the plan is for him to remain at Catcher. However, if Mez can continue to rake, they will either have an extremely valuable trade chip or they can move Grandal to 3B. Hopefully he'll have enough stick to play there.
    Why move Mez you always need two catchers.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    Why move Mez you always need two catchers.
    I think he was saying Grandal could move to third. But I think that's ridiculous. If you drafted this kid No. 12 overall because you think he's the catcher of the future, he better stay at catcher!

I think he was saying Grandal could move to third. But I think that's ridiculous. If you drafted this kid No. 12 overall because you think he's the catcher of the future, he better stay at catcher!
    I don't think he plays at 3rd any better than he does at C with his bellow avg. arm Left maybe but he is real slow of foot

I read a scouting report over on SoSH from when they drafted him out of HS, and it mentioned he was the best defensive catcher in the draft. Hart also mentioned on the telecast that his defense was "good, if not spectacular". So I'd like to see some other reports.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I read a scouting report over on SoSH from when they drafted him out of HS, and it mentioned he was the best defensive catcher in the draft. Hart also mentioned on the telecast that his defense was "good, if not spectacular". So I'd like to see some other reports.
    Scouting Report
    Hitting ability: Strong and physical, Grandal has put up numbers this year, but his hitting overall does not grade out that well. He doesn't have great bat speed

Power: He has a good amount of raw power, though it's not quite plus.

Running speed: He is a well below average runner.

Base running: It's not a part of his game.

Arm strength: His pure grade would be just okay, and his release times aren't great, but he's fairly accurate.

Fielding: He's been strong defensively in the past but doesn't always move his feet well.

Range: He's not the most agile backstop; he's been seen doing better in the past.

Physical Description: Grandal is a big, strong, physical backstop, kind of like a Damon Berryhill type.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Good raw power as a switch-hitter; has answered some questions about his bat with his numbers this season; has a solid reputation as a defender.

Weaknesses: Despite a good reputation, his individual defensive tools, other than his arm, don't grade out that well. Lack of bat speed has some concerned about hitting ability.

Summary: Grandal has been on radars since high school, when he opted for the University of Miami rather than the Red Sox. He's come through with his best offensive season at the right time, with consistent production at the plate moving him up Draft boards in a hurry. He's a switch-hitter with some pop, but some worry about his ability as an overall hitter. Defensively, he has a good reputation, but he does need work on things like his footwork. With college catchers always in high demand, Grandal's numbers this spring could very well result in him being the first catcher off the board in the first round
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yeah thats the only other report I've seen, and thats what most people are basing this pick on.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Between Yasmani, Yonder, and Yorman, we could be the killer Ys in a few years.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?