Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

Re: Yasmani Grandal

I missed that. Thanks GIDP.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Didn't the Reds open a 40-man spot when they let Drew Sutton go?

I'm thinking Springer goes, if that's possible with him on the DL.

And these reports of him getting a major league deal are snippets, not full reports. They are not gospel. We could find out later that he gets a major league deal that starts in November, as stated earlier.

I just counted it and there is no open spots. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Didn't the Reds open a 40-man spot when they let Drew Sutton go?
    It was used to either take Volquez off the 60 day DL or put springer on.

there is also another issue where you know that the Reds want Corky up for September. Thats going to cause problems. I guess they probably just pray someone gets hurt lol.

Glad he's signed, I guess, but not happy about him getting a spot on the 40-man. He's never hit one professional baseball pitch, and that sure as hades didn't work out with Sardhina at that position.

Plus, does that move Grandal ahead of Mes? I assume not, but Mes is not on the 40-man, and how many catchers are they going to have on the 40-man at any one time next year?

Maybe it signals Mes is going to be dealt in the off-season.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Maybe it signals Mes is going to be dealt in the off-season.
    I do not see any direct correlation between Grandal getting a major league contract and the future of Mesoraco. I think Mes is on the same time table as before (mid to late 2011) and Grandal is likely mid to late 2012. The only thing Grandal getting a major league contract effects is 2014 when he should be a part of the major league roster either way. Let's just hope Grandal doesn't get hurt.

Or Mesoraco could be brought up to Cincinnati as a part-time starter (along with Hanigan), as early as next season. (He may not be completely ready, but he would be a cheap and fairly effective catcher.) The Reds could then send away Hernandez and save a few million dollars.

I still think players drafted demanding a MLB contract is dumb.

It is of very little value to the player. He gets a little more money when in the minors, maybe and extra $50-100K, but that's about it.

It usually does not start your Arb or Free Agent clock any faster, since most guys who are given this deal most likely will be in the bigs by their fourth year anyway.

Really all it does is make the team you are signing with weaker, since they have to use a 40 man spot on you, and hurts your development. All for less than an extra $100K. really a dumb move to demand it, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I still think players drafted demanding a MLB contract is dumb.

It is of very little value to the player. He gets a little more money when in the minors, maybe and extra $50-100K, but that's about it.

It usually does not start your Arb or Free Agent clock any faster, since most guys who are given this deal most likely will be in the bigs by their fourth year anyway.

Really all it does is make the team you are signing with weaker, since they have to use a 40 man spot on you, and hurts your development. All for less than an extra $100K. really a dumb move to demand it, if you ask me.
    You're missing a key aspect. It actually does make a big difference.

It starts your Arb clock sooner because you're using up your options much, much faster.

Normally, the pattern for a first round pick goes something like this:

* 3-4 years in the minors, then added to the 40-man roster
    * 3 years of options, going back and forth between majors & minors
    * It may actually take 8 years before arbitration and 10-12 years before free agency

By adding a draft pick to the 40-man roster

* You're using up all 3 options in seasons 1, 2 & 3
    * By season 4, you have to be kept in the majors. This means you're eligible for arbitration no later than the 6th season
    * You're eligible, then, for free agency by the 9th season

As you can see, it's not just how quickly you make the majors but how soon you're using up your option seasons. Yes, it's true many guys would be in the majors by their 4th seasons, but you're forgetting that many players are optioned back to the minors several times during that period. Going this route, players cannot be optioned after three seasons... meaning once they're in the majors, they're there to stay if they're not being overwhelmed.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Mostly, from the player's perspective, the major-league deal is insurance against being buried in the minor leagues for a few extra years because you're blocked at the position, even if you're ready to play in the show. I suspect Yonder Alonso is going to be very, very happy he has one.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

What I am puzzled over is spots on the 40-man for catchers. Grandal taking one up ahead of Mes bothers me. Next year, probably Ramon/Hanigan/Miller/Grandal...just not a lot of room at the inn for Mes in the short term.

ETA: My point on Mes being dealt isn't that I think Grandal is better, or that there is not room for both, but more about Grandal joining an already crowded 40-man ahead of Mes.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    What I am puzzled over is spots on the 40-man for catchers. Grandal taking one up ahead of Mes bothers me. Next year, probably Ramon/Hanigan/Miller/Grandal...just not a lot of room at the inn for Mes in the short term.
    Why does Corky need a spot on the 40 man? He is not currently on the 40 man and will not likely need to be protected next year.

Sorry, Edd, forgot Corky was back off the 40-man.

That said, I still hate signing guys to major league contracts from the draft. Just not a fan of tying up roster spots on what are, in essence, projects. PARTICULARLY when it comes to catchers.

Again, it may just be my memories of how well the Sardhina and whatever that SS whose name I have forgotten contracts worked out...

Turn Off Ads?