Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

Re: Yasmani Grandal

I wonder if they could somehow make a promise that he'd be added to the 40 man roster after '11. I'd consider that. Less risk for the Reds but more importantly it would give plenty of time to open up some spots. But now? Noway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I wonder if they could somehow make a promise that he'd be added to the 40 man roster after '11. I'd consider that. Less risk for the Reds but more importantly it would give plenty of time to open up some spots. But now? Noway.
    I thought about that also. I'm guessing MLB wouldnt let that be included into a contract, but I dont see why they couldnt use the honor system if they really wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I thought about that also. I'm guessing MLB wouldnt let that be included into a contract, but I dont see why they couldnt use the honor system if they really wanted to.
    Guys get it put in their contracts all the time that they have to be called up by May 1st or whatever, I don't see why MLB would deny the caveat that the Reds have to add him by a certain date if both parties agreed.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Resident PED Expert

Just talked to my "friend"...

Deal is done. He is probably going to Arizona for a week then Carolina or Lynchburg.

Thinks part of the deal is a 40 man spot by the end of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Guys get it put in their contracts all the time that they have to be called up by May 1st or whatever, I don't see why MLB would deny the caveat that the Reds have to add him by a certain date if both parties agreed.
    Those guys sign as free agents though not exactly the same thing. I would guess if MLB allowed it to happen it would happen more often, and I cant think of a single time its happened.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Just talked to my "friend"...

Deal is done. He is probably going to Arizona for a week then Carolina or Lynchburg.

Thinks part of the deal is a 40 man spot by the end of next year.
    Now that I think about it it is possible that they could say "if not on the 40 man roster by such date he receives X amount of money as a bonus"

I doubt they could say "x amount or released" but I could see it being a bonus amount of money.

Those guys sign as free agents though not exactly the same thing. I would guess if MLB allowed it to happen it would happen more often, and I cant think of a single time its happened.
    Technically, GIDP is right. They wouldn't be able to make that kind of covenant. Here's why:

If you sign a Major League contract, you can sign for multiple years. You could stipulate such a covenant at the end of the Uniform Player Contract... however, since you're giving him a Major League Contract, this is a moot point.

When you don't sign a Major League contract, however, you're technically only signing a 1-year deal. You're signing a minor league contract that the club can renew from year to year. You can't really specify a covenant for a year that isn't covered by the contract itself.

So there are probably two things they could do: specify that he be added by a certain date this year (i.e. September 30), which would mean they have to release someone the last day of the regular season (ish), or they could simply make an oral promise to add him in November when the clubs submit their protection lists for next season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

According to this it's $2.99 million and a Major League deal:

http://minors.mlblogs.com/archives/2...ndal_done.html

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    According to this it's $2.99 million and a Major League deal:

http://minors.mlblogs.com/archives/2...ndal_done.html
    Bye Bye DRH...

There is an open 40 man spot already I think, but honestly I'm really surprised they gave him a 40 man spot.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Sign Yasmani Grandal
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 16 at 7:40pm CST]
    The Reds will sign first-round catcher Yasmani Grandal to a major league deal worth $2.99MM, according to MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo. The University of Miami product becomes the first 2010 draftee to sign a major league deal and will receive a 40-man roster spot.

Resident PED Expert

There is an open 40 man spot already I think, but honestly I'm really surprised they gave him a 40 man spot.
    So who goes for Harang? Or is it Harang himself?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    So who goes for Harang? Or is it Harang himself?
    Hes on the 40 man and only on the 15 day DL. The Reds would just have to option someone.

If DRH goes now who goes to make room for Izzy?

Izzy just went on the DL with elbow problems.

Turn Off Ads?