Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 280

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

  1. #196
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Sorry, Edd, forgot Corky was back off the 40-man.

    That said, I still hate signing guys to major league contracts from the draft. Just not a fan of tying up roster spots on what are, in essence, projects. PARTICULARLY when it comes to catchers.

    Again, it may just be my memories of how well the Sardhina and whatever that SS whose name I have forgotten contracts worked out...
    Agreed on hating wasting a spot on the 40 man roster, but if I remember correctly Sardinha was a high school catcher and Grandal should not be that much of a project. I just don't think this affects Grandal's window barring a major injury.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #197
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,345

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    What a breath of fresh air this organization has become.


    Paying over slot for top HS kids (Waldrop, Cisco). Not taking the cheap route after going over slot and and still signing the biggie (Grandal). Making the Chapman signing happen.....and Perez. Their Latin American pipeline is well lubed with redonkulous talent.

    I never thought I'd ever say it again, but the Reds are a first-rate organization.

    We're back.

  4. #198
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,036

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Espinoza, the SS was Espinoza. It just came to me.

    The "next A-Rod".

    Or not.

  5. #199
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Corky is going to be up in September though so he will need one this year. Unless they bring up Grandal to give Ramon and Ryan off time which seems completely improbable.

  6. #200
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Corky is going to be up in September though so he will need one this year. Unless they bring up Grandal to give Ramon and Ryan off time which seems completely improbable.
    Why does Corky need to be up? I think both of our catchers are pretty rested right now and if we just need a late defensive replacement down the stretch to allow Hernandez/Hanigan to pinch hit, I am sure Grandal is up for it. I am fine with seeing Grandal get a cup of coffee in September as a defensive replacement once the minor league teams are done.

  7. #201
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    What I am puzzled over is spots on the 40-man for catchers. Grandal taking one up ahead of Mes bothers me. Next year, probably Ramon/Hanigan/Miller/Grandal...just not a lot of room at the inn for Mes in the short term.
    There's no reason to put Mesoraco on the 40 until he has to be. Which may be this winter, I'm not sure if he'll have to be protected for Rule V, I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up.

    But with Mes moving fast, then barring a major regression, I don't see the Reds keeping more than four, and four is not unusual. Just like this year, the Corky Millers of the world won't be taking up space on the 40 unless they have to be in Cincinnati.
    Not all who wander are lost

  8. #202
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,345

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    What I am puzzled over is spots on the 40-man for catchers. Grandal taking one up ahead of Mes bothers me. Next year, probably Ramon/Hanigan/Miller/Grandal...just not a lot of room at the inn for Mes in the short term.

    Ramon probably needs to go.

  9. #203
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,036

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Agreed on hating wasting a spot on the 40 man roster, but if I remember correctly Sardinha was a high school catcher and Grandal should not be that much of a project. I just don't think this affects Grandal's window barring a major injury.
    My irritation isn't over his window being affected, it's him taking up a valuable 40-man spot years before he will be useful.

    Forgive me, but were not his scouting reports replete with questions over how quickly he would transition to wooden bats and other assorted concerns? He's a nice prospect, but I didn't read those reports as saying he was a sure thing. He's not in the Mauer/Wieters class of catcher prospect anyway, was my impression.

    And as deep as this organization is in really fine talent major league ready at AAA that is not on the 40-man, I loathe tying up a spot on a guy who, best case, is 2-3 years away.

  10. #204
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    There's no reason to put Mesoraco on the 40 until he has to be. Which may be this winter, I'm not sure if he'll have to be protected for Rule V, I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up.

    But with Mes moving fast, then barring a major regression, I don't see the Reds keeping more than four, and four is not unusual. Just like this year, the Corky Millers of the world won't be taking up space on the 40 unless they have to be in Cincinnati.
    Looking at camisadelgolf's Rule V thread, it does appear that Mesoraco will need to be protected and therefore, the Reds will now have to protect 4 catchers.

  11. #205
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Why does Corky need to be up? I think both of our catchers are pretty rested right now and if we just need a late defensive replacement down the stretch to allow Hernandez/Hanigan to pinch hit, I am sure Grandal is up for it. I am fine with seeing Grandal get a cup of coffee in September as a defensive replacement once the minor league teams are done.
    Its always been the plan from what I have read. They want to give Ramon and Ryan extra days in September. I guess its not a must but they have always brought up a 3rd catcher for September.

    I think they just dont use the 3rd catcher and let those 2 kill each other and hope they arent burnt for the playoffs. Its not like they are both playing a ton for the average starting catcher.

  12. #206
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Looking at camisadelgolf's Rule V thread, it does appear that Mesoraco will need to be protected and therefore, the Reds will now have to protect 4 catchers.
    I'm thinking Mes might be on the major league team next year and one of the 2 on the team right now wont be.

  13. #207
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Its always been the plan from what I have read. They want to give Ramon and Ryan extra days in September. I guess its not a must but they have always brought up a 3rd catcher for September.

    I think they just dont use the 3rd catcher and let those 2 kill each other and hope they arent burnt for the playoffs. Its not like they are both playing a ton for the average starting catcher.
    Honest off-the-wall question right now, how much better prepared is Corky to hit and catch in the major leagues than Grandal?

  14. #208
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,036

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Ramon probably needs to go.
    Dunno, but I doubt the Reds see it that way.

    Hernandez/Hanigan/Mes/Grandal.

    That's a sizeable chunk of real estate on the 40-man tied up in the catcher spot now, with Grandal being a long-term hope. I just don't care for that approach.

    Hope he is a player, regardless.

  15. #209
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Honest off-the-wall question right now, how much better prepared is Corky to hit and catch in the major leagues than Grandal?
    I think it was more catching than the hitting thing. Corky might be ahead of him in both but only because Grandal would be getting tossed to the wolves.

  16. #210
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I'm thinking Mes might be on the major league team next year and one of the 2 on the team right now wont be.
    Really? I think Hernandez has a good role on this team right now and there is no reason to get rid of Hanny when he is cheap right now. I would hate to push Mes while he's not ready just to keep DRH or Micah.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25