Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 280

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

  1. #241
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    From John Fay:

    Grandal will report to Goodyear in the next couple of days.

    “He’ll spend a short time at Goodyear then move onto Billings,” Jocketty said, “then to Instructional League. We think he’ll move fast.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...g-league-deal/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #242
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,318

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    You're missing a key aspect. It actually does make a big difference.

    It starts your Arb clock sooner because you're using up your options much, much faster.

    Normally, the pattern for a first round pick goes something like this:

    * 3-4 years in the minors, then added to the 40-man roster
    * 3 years of options, going back and forth between majors & minors
    * It may actually take 8 years before arbitration and 10-12 years before free agency

    By adding a draft pick to the 40-man roster

    * You're using up all 3 options in seasons 1, 2 & 3
    * By season 4, you have to be kept in the majors. This means you're eligible for arbitration no later than the 6th season
    * You're eligible, then, for free agency by the 9th season

    As you can see, it's not just how quickly you make the majors but how soon you're using up your option seasons. Yes, it's true many guys would be in the majors by their 4th seasons, but you're forgetting that many players are optioned back to the minors several times during that period. Going this route, players cannot be optioned after three seasons... meaning once they're in the majors, they're there to stay if they're not being overwhelmed.
    Technically, they can be optioned after season 4 in the minors (they get an extra option if signed late, after it is impossible for them to use their first option in their first year), but my point is that they usually are not.

    From 2000-2005, 32 college players (I can't imagine a team giving a MLB deal to a HS, besides Harper, and even that one was crazy imo) were taken in the first round in picks 1-12 (Grandel was the 12 pick.) Only two who eventually had a major league career in which going to arbitration meant making real money, spent any time in the minors. Joe Saunders, who missed his second year with a shoulder injury, and Jeff Neimann. Saunders spent an half a season, and Neimann a full season in the minors past what would have been their last option year had they signed a MLB deal out of the draft.

    I imagine Saunders is glad he didn't sign a MLB deal out of the draft, since it gave him more time to come back from an injury. I'll still count him anyway.

    That is one in sixteen. A 6% chance.

    That's my point. Odds are it's not going to matter, but it definitely will make things more difficult for the team you sign with, and possibly make them a weaker team, and likely hurt your development as a prospect.

    It's a dumb move.

  4. #243
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,318

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I was just going off of what had been reported earlier. Still, that means the Reds paid Grandal as if he was the 5th best player in the draft, at least so far.

    And the number of picks that received an MLB contract as well was very small...probably less than 5 players total.
    Grandel reportedly almost was the 4th pick or the 5th pick but he and Royals then Indians couldn't agree on a contract before hand. He was asking for much more than $2.99M then. So it's likely he accepted less than he wanted, but got the MLB deal in return.

    Unless we get inside information on how the negotiation went, we really don't know what it would have taken to get him to sign. But he clearly was considered by scouts to be a top 5 talent. He dropped to the Reds due to his contract demands.

  5. #244
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,040

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Technically, they can be optioned after season 4 in the minors (they get an extra option if signed late, after it is impossible for them to use their first option in their first year), but my point is that they usually are not.

    From 2000-2005, 32 college players (I can't imagine a team giving a MLB deal to a HS, besides Harper, and even that one was crazy imo) were taken in the first round in picks 1-12 (Grandel was the 12 pick.) Only two who eventually had a major league career in which going to arbitration meant making real money, spent any time in the minors. Joe Saunders, who missed his second year with a shoulder injury, and Jeff Neimann. Saunders spent an half a season, and Neimann a full season in the minors past what would have been their last option year had they signed a MLB deal out of the draft.

    I imagine Saunders is glad he didn't sign a MLB deal out of the draft, since it gave him more time to come back from an injury. I'll still count him anyway.

    That is one in sixteen. A 6% chance.

    That's my point. Odds are it's not going to matter, but it definitely will make things more difficult for the team you sign with, and possibly make them a weaker team, and likely hurt your development as a prospect.

    It's a dumb move.
    Your views are of interest to me and I would be interested to know if you have a newsletter I can subscribe to.

    Well stated. About where I come down.

  6. #245
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,098

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    I like that they're putting Grandal on a team (Billings) with a shot at postseason play. The single A teams are not in a winning environment right now. I think it's a good idea to introduce your big-ticket draft choice to pro ball by having him on with a club that's playing for a trophy.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  7. #246
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    what if his thumbs get hurt

  8. #247
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    361

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    I would be interested to hear someone with more knowledge than me of Grandal compare his hitting to Alonso coming out of Miami. If you took the fact that Grandal is a catcher out of the analyis who is drafted higher? Like, for example, if they were both first baseman would Alonso or Grandal be considered the better prospect?

  9. #248
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,738

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Yonder had more walks and more HR power than Grandal at Miami, but their slash lines are very similar their junior years. For instance, they both slugged over .700, both walked a lot more than they struck out, both were on base over half the time.

    IIRC, their batting stances and swings are pretty similar, too.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    AUGUST 20, 7:15 PM ET @ Busch Stadium
    MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #249
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    361

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Yonder had more walks and more HR power than Grandal at Miami, but their slash lines are very similar their junior years. For instance, they both slugged over .700, both walked a lot more than they struck out, both were on base over half the time.

    IIRC, their batting stances and swings are pretty similar, too.
    Thanks, It sounds like Alonso at the same age/level was a tick better as a hitter.

    I can't find any stats that show Grandal's lefty/righty splits. I am wondering if he will stick as a switch hitter.

  11. #250
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    34

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Their agent must love Jocketty. He has watched him fold like a tent and give out ML contracts twice in the last three years. It will limit flexibility if injuries hit over the next year and a half. Grandal was not going back to college with the loaded draft next year. Call his bluff.

  12. #251
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,257

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yes, he is known most for his defense, so he is a catcher all the way.
    Really??? Not questioning you, but when I saw we drafted him, I thought it was cause of his bat, he never imprtessed me in colelg ein any form or fashion as a catcher, granted I only saw him a few games, but he seemed like that big kid who could crush in little league and he just never found a position. I am of course hoping your right, we need a good high quality catcher coming through, I just didn't think that was this guy.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  13. #252
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    The scouting reports are totally mixed on the kid thats for sure. I think people who are more respected tend to say that hes not great behind the plate just yet, but hes not a butcher either.

    I think the reports of him being a great defensive catcher is likely wrong because not many catchers are labled that way coming out of the draft. Once you get drafted you basically start learning everything about the position all over again because players are quicker, you call pitches, have to catch better breaking balls more often.

  14. #253
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    From Jon Heyman:

    hearing grandal's guarantee with #reds was $3.2 mil, not $2.9 mil. a lot of rich kids made last night.

    http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  15. #254
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pook's Hill
    Posts
    1,551

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    I don't like the maor league deal for a catcher.

    There is so much for a catcher to learn that 3 years seems like a rush even for an advanced college player.

  16. #255
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,295

    Re: Yasmani Grandal

    Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I don't like the maor league deal for a catcher.

    There is so much for a catcher to learn that 3 years seems like a rush even for an advanced college player.
    Except he gets 4 years, so he has until the start of 2015 before he must stick.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25