Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Yasmani Grandal

Agree with Web and camisa. I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if we don't sign this guy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Was this Yasmani Grandal the best available player on the board at the time of pick #12 ?
    Pretty much.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Was this Yasmani Grandal the best available player on the board at the time of pick #12 ?
    In terms of balancing a player's ceiling and likelihood of reaching it, Grandal was the best available player by most people's standards. He's not expected to be an elite player, but the fact that catchers who are above-average on both offense and defense are so scarce is what made him the supposed 'best available player'.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It wouldn't break my heart if he doesn't sign. Next year's draft is looking stronger, and this is the best the organization's catching has been in years.

I remember a time when the Reds had all these guys in the minors within a year or two of each other:
    Jason LaRue
    Corky Miller
    Guillermo Garcia
    Jayhawk Owens
    Justin Towle (such a heart-breaker when he retired)
    Brook Fordyce
    Paul Bako
    I have to think the way Mes has hit since the draft has all but eliminated any leverage Grandal has. Sure he can go back to the draft(his leverage this year) but if he does, he'll have no leverage next year and the Reds are deep at his position.

The leverage equation here is very interesting to me. The player has all the leverage after his junior year, except if he decides to go back to school he has no leverage the next year. How does that fact(has leverage now but loses it if he comes back) factor into the decision making process.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

It occurs to me, with us playing the Marlins this weekend, it would be a good time to sign Grandal and bring him into town to see his new team and his hometown team.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

They need to sign him. He's a nice talent at a premium position.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agreed. Signing him is clearly the best case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agreed.

Need to sign your first round guy every year and make sure he's a major leaguer. One thing this club has done since 2004 and look at the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Need to sign your first round guy every year and make sure he's a major leaguer. One thing this club has done since 2004 and look at the difference.
    Bailey, Bruce, Stubbs, and Leake are the four 1st round picks to make it to the show. Not to slight the impact that they have made, but the difference is more than likely due to a 2nd round pick (Votto, Wood), trades (Rolen, Arroyo, and Massett), and a waiver wire pick up (Phillips).

But yea I agree with you, signing, developing, and getting 1st round picks to the show is very important in any organization, let alone the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Bailey, Bruce, Stubbs, and Leake are the four 1st round picks to make it to the show. Not to slight the impact that they have made, but the difference is more than likely due to a 2nd round pick (Votto, Wood), trades (Rolen, Arroyo, and Massett), and a waiver wire pick up (Phillips).

But yea I agree with you, signing, developing, and getting 1st round picks to the show is very important in any organization, let alone the Reds.
    I didn't say the difference was made exclusively by the drafted first rounders. What this team has done--and it is very different from the history preceding, especially during Jimbo's era--is to make the first round count. In addition to the 1st rounders you mention, I consider Alonso and Mesoraco nearly locks to be major league players (Alonso will likely be one in 3 wks.) Notice too the importance of high second round picks: Votto and Wood, as you mention. And Zach Stewart was the key player in the trade for Rolen--and, incidentally, Phillips was not simply a waiver wire pickup but was acquired then in a trade involving Jeff Stevens. This organization has been turned around gradually and a great deal of it is due to the draft--and to signing of young talent. Thus I stand by what I said earlier except I'll modify it a little. It's critically important to the health of an organization to make good use of the highest rounds of the drafts and to sign those guys every year.

It's critically important to the health of an organization to make good use of the highest rounds of the drafts and to sign those guys every year.
    Agreed -- in addition, it makes a lot of sense to invest in international talent, too. For many years the organization did zilch on that front.

I'm not reading all these psts to see, what is the hold-up? $$? Does he insist on an MLB contract? If he does, it pushes guys who have already shown MLB potential to the edge as far as roster is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I'm not reading all these psts to see, what is the hold-up? $$? Does he insist on an MLB contract? If he does, it pushes guys who have already shown MLB potential to the edge as far as roster is concerned.
    I've seen only one report of Grandal wanting a Major League contract. I think it's simply coming down to money. There have been multiple reports that claim he expects to be paid like a top-five draft pick as opposed to a #12 pick.

I think a major league contract isnt really worth that much in the grande scheme of things. Its probably the agent wanting something like that as bragging rights when they try to sign other players.

I'm sure if Grandal gets offered enough money hes going to sign regardless of a major league contract or not.

Turn Off Ads?