Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Not intended to knock Cairo, but...

Not intended to knock Cairo, but...

Is there a bigger drop off from a starter to back up in the league, then Rolen to Cairo, and Votto to Cairo?

Ive looked around at some other really good players around the league and the worst I can find is Hanley Ramirez to Brian Barden, and hes only played 30 innings at short. Cairo has played 61 at 1st and 44 at 3rd.

Someone find me some more huge drop off back ups.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Not intended to knock Cairo, but...

Aaron Miles could be a big drop off if he sees playing time while Cardinals 3B Freese is hurt.

Cairo filled in admirably for Votto on the offensive side while Joey's neck was hurt--I'll give him credit for that. He is a butcher in the field, however. It's nice to have an experienced veteran bat on the bench with a long history of pinch hitting, because that's a valuable skill.
    Cairo is no Lenny Harris, but he's been around a long time mostly to do that job, so I'd like to think he'll come in handy in that role throughout the rest of this year.

I've been thinking about this recently and was wondering if anyone else had noticed--
    Doesn't it seem like Janish and Heisey have become forgotten men on this roster other than in late inning defensive sub situations? Last I checked, they've both been fairly productive this year, and for younger inexperienced guys to do that is impressive, considering how infrequently they play.

Both of these guys have promise and a potential long term future with the team (maybe not so much Janish, at least as a starter), so why is Dusty making a point of getting Cairo and Nix starts and not these two?

Heisey has been with the big club since May 3rd and has started 5 games. Nix has started 14, and before Dickerson went down, he was the 5th OF, so most of those starts have been since then. Also, Heisey's OBP is 96 points higher than his BA, Nix's is 38 points higher. Isn't that the direction this organization is trying to move offensively?
    Last edited by OGB; 06-07-2010 at 09:58 AM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Neither Janish nor Heisey have come to plate so far in June. Heisey has made two defensive substitution appearances. Janish has done nothing but collect splinters.

Hey if any of these kids playing for the Bat's might realize that the only way to the show is to show you can play, Cairo wouldn't be so important.

I know Francisco is hurt, but what's up with Frazier? We talked about him making the club out of ST and he's hitting a measly .208. That whole team looks pretty weak.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Hey if any of these kids playing for the Bat's might realize that the only way to the show is to show you can play, Cairo wouldn't be so important.

I know Francisco is hurt, but what's up with Frazier? We talked about him making the club out of ST and he's hitting a measly .208. That whole team looks pretty weak.
    Surprisingly weak. Many, including myself, expected that team to be loaded this year offensively and pitching-wise, and it just hasn't come to fruition.

One of the few negatives of this season so far.

Guys this isnt close to the topic of the thread.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well Cairo proved his worth once again tonight with a bases loaded 2 run single.

got alil captain in u?

Don't go and knock Cairo those games he played when Votto was out are going to be very, very important. Those extra ab's got him into a groove that makes him a pretty decent bat to have off the bench in late innings. I'd rather have him up there now instead of Laynce Nix.

Turn Off Ads?