Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amir Garrett Debuts

Amir Garrett Debuts

Amir Garrett made his first professional appearance tonight, starting for the AZL Reds. I can only hope that his brief appearance was pre-determined.

His line: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Amir Garrett Debuts

And a HBP.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Was Steve Lavin in attendance?

I guess the saying goes it's not how you start but how you finish. Even so, I had hoped for a tad more.

So...I was in NYC for the weekend, and went to MSG today and saw the St. John's/Georgetown game. I guess basketball is Garrett's first love and what not, but he was really unimpressive in his time on the court today. Very little run, and when he was on the floor, no impact.

Looking at him and his season numbers in his second year at St. John's, there is no way he is a legit NBA prospect. If he has as live an arm as the scouting reports say, hard to imagine he wouldn't want to start to focus on that at some point soon.

Just a random musing.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He has never really been a big NBA prospect. He was a big college basketball prospect, but they aren't always one and the same. He is a 6'5" forward. Not too many of those guys around the NBA as it is, so he was going to have to be really outstanding to even get a real look in the NBA at that size and that position.

How many more years until he needs to be protected on the 40 man roster? 2 left?
    Last edited by mth123; 01-13-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    How many more years until he needs to be proptected on the 40 man roster? 2 left?
    I wanna say three, but either way that's a good point. He'll likely be kicking around on the 40 man long before he's even close to major league ready.

How many more years until he needs to be protected on the 40 man roster? 2 left?
    After the 2015 season, so three left.

Kinda my point. Hoping he figures out sooner rather than later that full time baseball is where he should be focusing.

Amir's best bet for making money as an athlete will probably come from playing basketball in another country. I bet he sticks with basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedhawk View Post
    Amir's best bet for making money as an athlete will probably come from playing basketball in another country. I bet he sticks with basketball.
    Good luck with that. He looked to have nothing.

Amir's best bet for making money as an athlete will probably come from playing basketball in another country.
    Debatable. He's got a very good arm, so his ceiling in baseball is higher than in hoops. Overseas play for US players, especially dime a dozen guys like Garrett, isn't all that lucrative anyway. I'm guessing he'll eventually become a full-time pitcher. The sooner he makes that switch, though, the better for him.

If he's a sophomore now, the tell-tale leap is usually into junior year. If I were him, I'd give it one more year in basketball as well, depending of course on what his coaches are telling him.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    If he's a sophomore now, the tell-tale leap is usually into junior year. If I were him, I'd give it one more year in basketball as well, depending of course on what his coaches are telling him.
    What year did Brackman quit the basketball team at NC State? Looks like he should have stuck with basketball as baseball never panned out.

Turn Off Ads?