Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Second Day Draft Thread - 2010

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: The Official Second Day Draft Thread - 2010

Jerry's son Connor, a NC SS out of high school- to Orioles.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Come on Reds, make me a happy man and draft Gauntlett Eldemire.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 in hall View Post
    Might they be drafting to try to replace what will be traded? Walt is going to pull the trigger on some deals and no one knows what he will give up, but many will not like it.

The Reds have, like every other year, drafted who they thought was the best available player at the time of each pick.

You may not agree with the pick, but there is no conspiracy going on, no deep rooted secret.

Many players fall for multiple reasons.

Paxton has seemed to fall quite a bit. It's not like we are the only team to let him fall, everyone else passed too. I don't know the reason. I don't know if it is even valid. But every team passed on him a few times when many were wanting him picked.

This draft has me.....

Obviously this isn't a draft that is going to help soon. So why draft players with seemingly low ceilings?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Anybody have the odds handy of the chances a player drafted in round X will make the majors? stay in the majors?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    He was drafted in 2006 and that was 4 years ago. 2010 + 4 years = 2014 and he wouldn't be here now if Dickerson didn't have crystal for bones.
    He didn't start producing until 2009. Look at the performance versus the draft year.

The fact that Dorn hasn't gotten the call probably has more to do with their projections than his draft year.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The Reds have, like every other year, drafted who they thought was the best available player at the time of each pick.

You may not agree with the pick, but there is no conspiracy going on, no deep rooted secret.

Many players fall for multiple reasons.

Paxton has seemed to fall quite a bit. It's not like we are the only team to let him fall, everyone else passed too. I don't know the reason. I don't know if it is even valid. But every team passed on him a few times when many were wanting him picked.
    That said, it seems definitely true that the Reds went for college picks who would sign for slot or lower so they have a chance of affording Yasmani Grendal.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    That said, it seems definitely true that the Reds went for college picks who would sign for slot or lower so they have a chance of affording Yasmani Grendal.
    Maybe I shouldn't be confused.

This draft might be all about Yasmani and Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Anybody have the odds handy of the chances a player drafted in round X will make the majors? stay in the majors?
    I think those numbers are almost useless from an odds perspective since so many highly rated guys drop for multiple reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    This draft has me.....

Obviously this isn't a draft that is going to help soon. So why draft players with seemingly low ceilings?
    I think the opposite. Reds are drafting guys who could help relatively soon. But many might be in backup, injury replacement, or role playing positions.

Keep in mind the Reds are active in getting young, high ceiling prospects from international scouting. So using the draft for mature, solid guys who could help soon makes sense.

...although I'd still love to see the Reds draft some athletic HS kids with upside who hate doing homework and are prone to being lured away from college.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think the opposite. Reds are drafting guys who could help relatively soon. But many might be in backup, injury replacement, or role playing positions.

Keep in mind the Reds are active in getting young, high ceiling prospects from international scouting. So using the draft for mature, solid guys who could help soon makes sense.
    I'm really not seeing it. Who other than Grandal could honestly be on the roster by 2013?

...although I'd still love to see the Reds draft some athletic HS kids with upside who hate doing homework and are prone to being lured away from college.
    Sure, those are nice also. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I think those numbers are almost useless from an odds perspective since so many highly rated guys drop for multiple reasons.
    Point being that it's virtually impossible for us to say much of anything with any degree of confidence at this point. The most likely circumstance for anybody drafted at this point or later is that they aren't going to make it, let alone make an impact.

Unless we're talking specifically about passing up a guy who was unanimously a 1st round talent who slipped for financial reasons, it's more or less a crap-shoot.

Hard to complain about getting up the middle talent.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Agreed.

Turn Off Ads?