Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

http://deadspin.com/5555714/this-is-...ses-corked-bat

You're looking at an X-ray of a Mizuno PR4192 bat, commissioned by Pete Rose specifically for his 1985 chase of baseball's all-time hits record. Inside, clear as day, is a piece of foreign material, about 6 inches long, and the diameter of a nickel. This is the story of that bat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. Right? I know Pete is beloved like no other in Cincy, but a big part of me is glad I wasn't born earlier; Hustle doesn't make up for dishonesty.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. Right? I know Pete is beloved like no other in Cincy, but a big part of me is glad I wasn't born earlier; Hustle doesn't make up for dishonesty.
    Because now is so enwrapped in the honor of sportsmanship?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Because now is so enwrapped in the honor of sportsmanship?
    I never said this changed my opinion of him. I'm just happy that I don't have to deal with the cognitive dissonance that other's do regarding his legacy.

I guess I don't find it the least bit surprising. Even in his 20 year's late admission to betting on the game, maintained he never did anything to adversely affect the outcome. Once a liar... I suppose.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I never said this changed my opinion of him. I'm just happy that I don't have to deal with the cognitive dissonance that other's do regarding his legacy.

I guess I don't find it the least bit surprising. Even in his 20 year's late admission to betting on the game, maintained he never did anything to adversely affect the outcome. Once a liar... I suppose.
    Of course it's no surprise, all eras have head slapping moments in retrospect, the 60's and 70's are milestone eras as far as the game going into big money, that was a carrot that was managed 180 degrees different than it is today, and a carrot can lead many people down different paths than the game does today in its regimented and overy compensated state.

Well, given Pete's lack of credibility, people will certainly not belive him when he denies the bat was corked. But keep this in mind from the Deadspin article:

MythBusters looked into it and found that the ball comes off a corked bat markedly slower, and concluded that the cheaters have only been cheating themselves.

In addition, although there is some proof showing the bat was Pete's and may have been used in a game, there is no proof showing when it might have been corked.

The article describes relative values as follows:
    A game-used PR4192 bat could go for $5,000 or more. But a proven corked bat is unique; no one has any idea how high the bidding could go. Certainly six figures.
    So, of the several owners to have had possession of this bat over the years, is it possible that the new owner decided to enhance his investment and cork it himself? I'm sure that would never happen though. It's much easier to just go along and assume that Pete did it. We all know he lied about gambling, so it must be true. By the way, is it true that Pete was in Dallas in November 1963?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Like the use of greenies, corked bats were all the rage when Rose played. I think nearly every player used some kind of corked bat. Doesn't make it right, just not that all surprising.

And then there's this that everyone seems to have cared less about...

Byline: TERRY KINNEY Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Chris Sabo said he's never knowingly used a corked bat in the big leagues, and he figures he has the stats to prove it.

``I've got two home runs and 10 RBI; it's sure not an endorsement of the cork industry,'' the Reds third baseman said Tuesday, one day after his bat broke in a game against Houston and showered the field with pieces of cork.

Actually, he has three homers and 16 RBI.

``Obviously, if you look at my numbers, I'm not using one this year,'' said Sabo, who said he found the bat in a Riverfront Stadium storeroom.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Didn't Greg Nettles bat once break open and a bunch of "super balls" fell out onto the field?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Didn't Greg Nettles bat once break open and a bunch of "super balls" fell out onto the field?

On September 7, 1974, Nettles, then with the New York Yankees, was caught using a bat that had six superballs inside it. He said that he had received the bat from a Yankees fan in Chicago and did not know that the bat had been altered.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    On September 7, 1974, Nettles, then with the New York Yankees, was caught using a bat that had six superballs inside it. He said that he had received the bat from a Yankees fan in Chicago and did not know that the bat had been altered.
    LOL ... because players use stuff that fans give them all the time. Good answer, Greg.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The real question is: will Pete sign the bat and write "I'm sorry I cheated on the field."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The real question is: will Pete sign the bat and write "I'm sorry I cheated on the field."
    If the price is right.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

We are x-raying 25 year old bats?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

That slim opening for Cheat, er...Pete... in the HOF door just closed a little more.

quick poll.......

How many of us believed the corked bat allegations when they first surfaced in the 2001 Vanity Fair article?

I did......

Turn Off Ads?