Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

For just $44.99 you can get the same thing but in a sweatshirt.

http://www.peterose.com/Pete-Rose-Im...413947_PD.html

Look for soon to be marketed autographed pieces of cork. You may think I am kidding but I am not.

Pete will do it if their is a market.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    For just $44.99 you can get the same thing but in a sweatshirt.

http://www.peterose.com/Pete-Rose-Im...413947_PD.html

Look for soon to be marketed autographed pieces of cork. You may think I am kidding but I am not.

Pete will do it if their is a market.
    I have never seen that site until this morning, I'm surprised it flew under the radar so much, especially here... where we all are still Pete Rose (the player fans)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I have never seen that site until this morning, I'm surprised it flew under the radar so much, especially here... where we all are still Pete Rose (the player fans)
    Bench has a site to.

http://www.johnnybench.com/
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Bench has a site to.

http://www.johnnybench.com/
    My Eyes, my eyes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I was comparing how Giants fans' opinions of Bonds were tainted, so to speak, by his on field exploits in much the same way as many Reds fans' opinions of Pete Rose.
    I don't see how a bat from 25 years ago that Pete may or may not have used, with or without cork in it at the time of use, has tainted his on-field performance or has any similar significance to Bonds use of PEDS...the comparison is baffling really. If you don't like him as a human, join the club, but he was an incredible force on the field without the kinda help Bonds had. Seriously, why waste time on the current Pete Rose when one can just move on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I don't see how a bat from 25 years ago that Pete may or may not have used, with or without cork in it at the time of use, has tainted his on-field performance or has any similar significance to Bonds use of PEDS...the comparison is baffling really. If you don't like him as a human, join the club, but he was an incredible force on the field without the kinda help Bonds had. Seriously, why waste time on the current Pete Rose when one can just move on?
    Pete admitted to greenie use as well, which IMO was no surpise at all and hardly something that he alone was doing, but it was an enhancement so in essence it aligns him more with the PEDS users (and let's not forget who and where Pete hung out towards the end of career)

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I don't see how a bat from 25 years ago that Pete may or may not have used, with or without cork in it at the time of use, has tainted his on-field performance or has any similar significance to Bonds use of PEDS...the comparison is baffling really.
    Because cheating is cheating?

Actually the comparison was more to illuminate the fact that hometown fans tend to not see the warts on their players.

If you don't like him as a human, join the club, but he was an incredible force on the field without the kinda help Bonds had. Seriously, why waste time on the current Pete Rose when one can just move on?
    Because a new story has emerged about Pete, which brought him up for discussion again. I suppose you thought we shouldn't "waste time" discussing McGwire when he emerged from hiding this year to join the Cardinals coaching staff?

Because a new story has emerged about Pete, which brought him up for discussion again. I suppose you thought we shouldn't "waste time" discussing McGwire when he emerged from hiding this year to join the Cardinals coaching staff?
    I would have hoped to ignore McGwire. He is one of the "fakest" people in baseball.

Whatever, time to move on. This non-story full of assumptions just 'cause everyone hates Pete has become boring. I'll remember Pete the player in my eyes as a kid; he wasn't my idol, but he was a model of how the game should be played (from a competition standpoint; not talking about sprinting to first on a walk). Anything else I say is repetition and this post has 5+ pages of that already.

Bum

Because cheating is cheating?
    I'm honestly mystified by this sentiment. (And I don't mean to single out Eric_the_Red for displaying it.)

Before PED's there attitude throughout baseball was that if you didn't get caught, it wasn't cheating. This permeated the game from the first batter erasing the batters box, to pitchers doctoring balls to pine tar to baserunning to...well...it was everywhere.

Now there seems to be this ..."cheating is cheating" attitude and I just don't get the switch. Where do you draw the line? Does Gaylord Perry belong? How about Ted Williams and greenies?

Do we throw out 130 years because it doesn't match today's morality? Do we shut our eyes and pretend that none of the cheating other than Pete, the black sox and the 'roid users ever happened?
    Last edited by dfs; 06-11-2010 at 01:15 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Taking PED's and corking a bat are not in the same category IMO.

PED's are way worse, although they honestly don't bother me as much as they do some other people.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I would have hoped to ignore McGwire. He is one of the "fakest" people in baseball.

Whatever, time to move on. This non-story full of assumptions just 'cause everyone hates Pete has become boring. I'll remember Pete the player in my eyes as a kid; he wasn't my idol, but he was a model of how the game should be played (from a competition standpoint; not talking about sprinting to first on a walk). Anything else I say is repetition and this post has 5+ pages of that already.

Bum
    What nonsense. Pete made his bed by lying for years, and now his fans want to ignore the consequences of his actions (namely, he has lost the benefit of the doubt).

What nonsense. Pete made his bed by lying for years, and now his fans want to ignore the consequences of his actions (namely, he has lost the benefit of the doubt).
    Yes, now he's guilty regardless...right...sorry, maybe on this message board, but not in the real world...hold on, I have a andro bottle signed by Pete Rose...yep, Pete was the first PED abuser, probably got everyone started...haha

I never have cared anything about Pete Rose the person, only enjoyed or paid much attention to Pete Rose the player. Pete's fans, as I am referred to, just want to remember Pete the player and that is our right. If you want to get yourself worked into a lather about some bat from 25 years ago, that's your decision; I don't have to buy what you are selling. Why not just let it go?
    Last edited by Bumstead; 06-11-2010 at 03:22 PM.

What I don't understand is why some folks get so bent out of shape at the idea that Pete, like a ton of other players, might have used a corked bat from time to time.
    School's out. What did you expect?

There are a lot of nuances to this story.

For one thing, I believe it's been established that corking a bat does NOT help a hitter. Quite the opposite.

I think it was mythology that corked bats were more powerful and many players bought into it. And as WOY and many others have said, it's one of many things players have done over the years to try to get an edge.

So, unlike many other transgressions, such as scuffing a ball, this one doesn't really help you.

The intent and willingness to cheat, bend the rules, look for an edge.... whatever you decide to call it...the intent was there with anyone who uses a corked bat.

It's just not as effective as they think it is. And it doesn't taint any record, as in a performance enhancing drug or scuffing the ball, as it just doesn't improve your performance or help pad your records.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

From John Fay's blog:

In light of the recent report that Pete Rose used a corked bat leading up to his record-breaking 4,192nd hit, two Cincinnati collectors had their Rose game-used bats X-rayed recently.

Bob Crotty, owner and founder of Green Diamond Gallery, and Mark Fugate of Diamond Sports had their bats X-rayed on June 16 and both were found to be uncorked.

Crotty’s bat is a Mizuno PR4192, the model Rose used while gathering hits 4,000-4,192. Fugate’s bat is a Mizuno ATHL model that Rose used for the remainder of his career after breaking the Major League Baseball all-time hits record.

On June 8, Deadspin.com published the article “This is Pete Rose’s Corked Bat” by Barry Petchesky. The article alleged that Rose used a corked bat in a game against the Philadelphia Phillies in July of 1985 as he chased the record.

“These are two of the bats Rose used to set the all-time hits record and with the recent controversy surrounding Rose’s bats, Mark and I wanted to see if our bats were corked or not,” said Crotty
    to read more:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...rrEf2O0SOBI%3D

Turn Off Ads?