Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

Someone needs to tell Pete if he wants to make a quick profit to start marketing the authentic cork he used to cork the bats. Then again he could always write another book charging us $29.95 giving us the insight on how he corked the bats he used.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    If all he did was cork his bat, I'd be in favor of him getting into the Hall. Betting on baseball is worse than PEDs, corking, spitters.....etc.
    It's all cheating to me

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Someone needs to tell Pete if he wants to make a quick profit to start marketing the authentic cork he used to cork the bats. Then again he could always write another book charging us $29.95 giving us the insight on how he corked the bats he used.
    He's probably already planning these things...........

Are you his agent by any chance?

I thought it looked like a rat-tailed file in the x-ray.

Like what the 3 Stooges would smuggle in a birthday cake to guys in prison.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    It's all cheating to me
    "A guy who cheats in a friendly game of cards is a cheater. A pro who throws a spitball to support his family is a competitor."

George Bamberger

Pete probably cheated. So did Ty Cobb.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

From Deadspin

"Bill Schubert's bat was authenticated by Sports Investments, which had received it directly from Pete Rose, so the chain of custody was as pristine as it gets. Still, there was no way to prove it had actually been used in a regular-season game, rather than, say, in batting practice or spring training."

and from the same article....

Bartosz had snapped the shot over the July Fourth weekend in Philadelphia. It shows Rose, waiting in the on-deck circle, bat resting on his left shoulder.

....I guess you could make the claim that it was a practice bat used just for batting practice and if that makes it easier for you to believe...hey, more power to you. I'm kind of through jumping through coulda beens in my head in order to protect Pete Rose's reputation.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I see denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
    Assumptions are easy pickin's though...who cares really?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Assumptions are easy pickin's though...who cares really?

At least all of the people who have read this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    It's all cheating to me
    Not to defend guys who cork their bat, but what about batters who wipe out the back line of the batters box? Or pitchers who don't step directly on the rubber? Or pitchers who use their thumbnails to scratch the surface of the ball? Or fielders whose glove isn't regulation?

All of that is cheating. Is that the same as corking your bat, or taking greenies? Or taking steroids?

Just asking with no assumptions.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    At least all of the people who have read this thread.
    Another assumption...some people just read the threads for the humor involved in the posts. Pete Rose helped bring championships to Cincy and standing in his way to winning a game could cost you your career. We could use more players like that (not talking about hustle, talking about competitive fire). He's a schmuck now, who cares? I don't, but I loved to watch him play the game.

It's nice to see them doing well this year, that's for sure.

Bum

I loved to watch him play the game
    Nothing like a Rose double in the gap and a cloud of dust into second.

No pointing to the sky, no kissing any necklaces, just a cloud a dust, an adjusted helmet and a slight smile.

Damn.... why'd he have to ruin that for us?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nothing like a Rose double in the gap and a cloud of dust into second.

No pointing to the sky, no kissing any necklaces, just a cloud a dust, an adjusted helmet and a slight smile.

Damn.... why'd he have to ruin that for us?
    That's all I remember...how he played the game. After that he was just a different person to me. My wife remembers all the bad things that I do; I choose just to remember Pete Rose, the player. I can separate the two, some can't or don't want to.

I still carry a Pete Rose shirt (Cincinnati's finest) in my softball bag; I got it in 5th grade, which was probably 1978-ish; sometime around his hit streak. It reminds me to focus and play my heart out and not to let my teammates down. Yeah, I'm too old for that!

Bum

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Not to defend guys who cork their bat, but what about batters who wipe out the back line of the batters box?
    LOL- I watched Pete do that maybe 1000 times, leading off games. First thing he would do is wipe out the back of the batters box, usually with his left foot, before taking a few practice swings with his corked bat.

I absolutely loved watching him play the game as well. When I was a child, Pete Rose was my very first hero. When I grew up, I learned that sports figure do not make very good heroes, and looked elsewhere for role models.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    When I grew up, I learned that sports figure do not make very good heroes, and looked elsewhere for role models.

Words to live by.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?