Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pedro Martinez?

Pedro Martinez?

Candidate for pitching help down the stretch?

Leake and Chapman cannot pitch through September let alone October. Harang is unreliable and no one other than Arroyo has postseason experience. I'd rather have Lee, Haren, or Carmona, but Pedro wouldn't cost prospects or presumably a lot of money.

Discuss.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pedro Martinez?

I wouldn't mind giving him a shot, and putting Harang in the pen. If somehow he is worse than Harang, swap them. It'd be a boost for the rotation (I would think) and a boost for the pen either way

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Resident PED Expert

In most other situations, I'd say yes. But...

He is a 5 maybe 6 Inning guy. That puts alot more pressure on your bullpen when Leake and Volquez all are going to be monitored heavily. So 3/5th of your rotation would be 5 or 6 innings per start come September. Unless the bullpen improved dramatically it really isn't an option.

I'd love to have him on the staff, but not as a SP. He just can't go deep enough. He averaged 5 IP/GS last year in part because he needed to be pulled early multiple times. He could be dominant in middle relief, but I doubt he'd go for it if a contending team will let him start.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Pedro with Chapman piggybacked.

What about Pedro for closer if CoCo doesnt get it done?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Pedro, Volquez, Cueto, Wood, Arroyo with a pen of Harang, Maloney, LeCure, Bray, Masset, Rhodes, Cordero. Might give us a chance. (Bailey on DL, not counting on Leake for over 140)

It's an interesting proposition. And I think we should acquire him with the pen in mind to start but keep an open mind about starting him later in the season potentially. Kind of 2 halves of a whole, Leake and Pedro. When the innings get closer for Leake you can flip flop the 2 of them and use Leake out of the pen for the duration. As you say Arroyo has the only post season experience on the roster and seemingly only Bronson and Leake can effectively pitch to a scouting report on this team.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

If the Reds can sign him, he would be moving someone from the rotation to the pen. That guy would give the Reds a true long man that would be needed to fill in the innings that Pedro can't pitch. Plus the team has Volquez coming back, who looks headed for the pen as well. It could work.... In theory.

If he can be signed for around $2-3M for the rest of the season, I think it would be worth the risk, for the experience factor alone. I would have to think that he would a big help to Cueto, since they are such similar pitchers.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    If the Reds can sign him, he would be moving someone from the rotation to the pen. That guy would give the Reds a true long man that would be needed to fill in the innings that Pedro can't pitch. Plus the team has Volquez coming back, who looks headed for the pen as well. It could work.... In theory.

If he can be signed for around $2-3M for the rest of the season, I think it would be worth the risk, for the experience factor alone. I would have to think that he would a big help to Cueto, since they are such similar pitchers.
    I think Cueto and Volquez could really benefit from having him around as well, which is a nice by product.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?