Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

Who cares? He was beating them and they didn't like it and he didn't care if they liked it. People don't like Pierzynski, they think he's a ******. He probably is to the other team but his teammates love him.

Insufferable hot dog? Alfonso Soriano? Sammy Sosa? Hell Pete Rose played as hard as he could all the time; is that a hot dog?
    A lot of people felt that way, that's all I'm saying.

Personally, as a kid growing up in Cincy, I loved watching Rose more than any player, up until he grew selfish in his pursuit of the hit record (but you did have to excuse him for that).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    In essence the dogs have been fooled, just as you have been.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Well, Perhaps I am in denial, or perhaps I just happen to believe a man is innocent until proven guilty.

To actually PROVE that the bat was corked in 1985, it is absolutly essential that we look and see everywhere the bat has been over the last 25 years. In reality, it is simply impossible to show a real chain of custody for this bat.

Now of course Rose might not have known this, and clearly corking a bat is against MLB rules.

Still, Joe Morgan's statement carries some weight with me. I don't remember any such such defense of Rose by Morgan when the gambling allegations came up. Joe knew that Pete hung with gamblers, and Joe didn't like it.
    Sorry mbgrayson, I'm going to cast doubt that you give every man the presumption of innocence until they are proven guilty. Quite honestly that's an unreasonable standard by which to hold someone unless they are being tried for a crime.

I think it's much more rational to weigh the evidence and the credibility of those involved. I doubt as you do that there would be any way to definitively prove that Pete corked this particular bat.

That said, given his credibility on one hand, the possibility that someone would insert cork in order to make a larger sale, my guess is he probably corked a bat or two in his time, believing they would help. There's a pretty good chance that this bat is one he corked.

As for Joe Morgan's word, that's nice and all, but Joe lockered next to him for 8 years and Pete lied straight to his face when Joe asked him about gambling on the Reds. Why would Pete be any more honest here? It's not Joe Morgan's word I'm worried about, but rather Pete Rose's.

Icehole, you're right. The fact that Pete lied about gambling and lied about paying taxes doesn't necessarily make him any more guilty here. But it does mean that when someone says "Hey I have a Pete Rose bat which was loaded with cork," knowing nothing else about the situation, Pete's word that he didn't do it doesn't cut the mustard. I'd also think the word of any of Pete's teammates should be taken with a grain of salt because they obviously wish to protect a guy's legacy(even as much as it pains them.) That doesn't mean they'd lie for him, but if I was worth anything as a teammate, I'd make 100% sure that I knew where I was coming from before joining the accusatory parade. It's much easier(and more noble in my opinion) to stand up for your teammate if you don't in fact know he was corking his bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I have no doubt that Rose played with a corked bat at some point in his career. That's because I have no doubt that most players playing in his era played with a corked bat at some point.
    I’m kind of surprised that Boston and New York doesn’t want all of the Reds players bats X-rayed from the 75 and 76 Reds teams. Surely Morgan, Bench, Perez, Foster, Griffey, Concepcion and Geronimo’s bats should be scrutinized too. I mean for a group to do so well they just had to cheat didn’t they, or look the other way? Awe shoot, let’s get this right and just X-ray all the bats. Oh, we can’t do that, well, why bother at all then.

What is Pete now? 69 years old?

Kind of an old guy for the profiting vultures to be picking from the bones of a corked bat singles hitter isn’t he?

Or maybe they are trying to say that, baseball, the American pastime is a crooked and dirty sport. Gee, now what do we do with that, bring in the honorable and impeccable American congress and senate to deal with it? Maybe some BP exec’s., they’ll clean it up.

(insert vultures feeding on an old man's bones images here)

this thread is sad, I cant comment anymore

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I would venture that many of the same people defending Pete in this thread are the same ones that had their pitchforks and torches ready when Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGwire and Palmeiro's names came up regarding PEDs.

And some of us wonder how Giants fans could continue to cheer for Bonds.

I don't doubt Pete used a corked bat at some time during his long career. He wouldn't be the first or the last and I don't think any less of him for it if it is true. I chalk that up to gamesmanship just like throwing the spitter.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I’m kind of surprised that Boston and New York doesn’t want all of the Reds players bats X-rayed from the 75 and 76 Reds teams. Surely Morgan, Bench, Perez, Foster, Griffey, Concepcion and Geronimo’s bats should be scrutinized too. I mean for a group to do so well they just had to cheat didn’t they, or look the other way? Awe shoot, let’s get this right and just X-ray all the bats. Oh, we can’t do that, well, why bother at all then.

What is Pete now? 69 years old?

Kind of an old guy for the profiting vultures to be picking from the bones of a corked bat singles hitter isn’t he?

Or maybe they are trying to say that, baseball, the American pastime is a crooked and dirty sport. Gee, now what do we do with that, bring in the honorable and impeccable American congress and senate to deal with it? Maybe some BP exec’s., they’ll clean it up.

(insert vultures feeding on an old man's bones images here)
    Leave Pete Alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post

And some of us wonder how Giants fans could continue to cheer for Bonds.
    What do they care as long as they are getting some tangible or intangible benefit, or anyone or fan for that matter? As long as they are getting their's ?

High five!

I can't wait until Cincinnati turns the corner on Pete Rose.

I'll be waiting a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    this thread is sad, I cant comment anymore
    You haven't said anything anyway. Except try and paint the messenger as the issue.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    What do they care as long as they are getting some tangible or intangible benefit, or anyone or fan for that matter? As long as they are getting their's ?
    I was comparing how Giants fans' opinions of Bonds were tainted, so to speak, by his on field exploits in much the same way as many Reds fans' opinions of Pete Rose.

Most baseball fans see an arrogant jerk that thumbed his nose at the MLB powers that be, but many of the hometown fans see the game winning hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Leave Pete Alone!

I’m all for deer hunting with a truck, road kill is easy pickings. :ughmamoru

Ask GAC :deadhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I was comparing how Giants fans' opinions of Bonds were tainted, so to speak, by his on field exploits in much the same way as many Reds fans' opinions of Pete Rose.

Most baseball fans see an arrogant jerk that thumbed his nose at the MLB powers that be, but many of the hometown fans see the game winning hits.
    I understand that. I don't like Bonds, Rose, or the arrogant hypocrits of MLB powers that be either.

I learn one thing from it, if they don't like you, you become their target and endless agenda, unless you are putting money into their pockets, how long did the powers that be of MLB look the other way? Why? $$$$

So, I always like to know who is profiting from it.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-11-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Turn Off Ads?