Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 105

Thread: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

  1. #61
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    So because he lied about gambling, he is presumed guilty of everything that someone with a $100 K gain at stake accuses him of? Nonsense.
    He also was found guilty of tax evasion. So he's not exactly the most credible person around.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Red's fan mbgrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,041

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He also was found guilty of tax evasion. So he's not exactly the most credible person around.
    I certainly don't doubt that at all. That is why my post above does not rely at all on his denials. Instead, it examines the chain of custody to see if the evidence holds up. If you presume he is guilty, the evidence won't change your mind.

    However, the evidence of him corking that bat by itself is thin. They are trying to say that a photo of him holding a bat in an on deck circle is the same bat because of scuff marks being in about the same place as in the grainy old photo. However, the tape is wrapped diferently on the bat, and anyone could scuff a bat to make the marks appear to be similiar.

    Again, if you assumes Pete is always guilty, then you will be convinced. But if you have read about the lengths that some people go to make counterfeits of valuable documents(to sell for huge profit), or to fake authentic sports memoraibilia, you should not take all this at face value.

    In the book 'Hustle, the Myth, Life and Lies of Pete Rose', a scathing anti-Rose biography, this is how the sports memorabilia business is described:
    Even outside of Rose's involvement in it, the hobby, as memorabilia dealers sometimes refer to the industry, is rife with counterfeiting, fraud, forged autographs, and theft. Without overstating the case, it is a cesspool." Hustle, page 237.
    And yet everyone is willing to take the word of a memorabilia collector who stands to make $100 K if he convinces people he has a 'real' Rose game used corked bat....

    Sorry, but color me skeptical.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 06-10-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    __________________
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

  4. #63
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I certainly don't doubt that at all. That is why my post above does not rely at all on his denials. Instead, it examines the chain of custody to see if the evidence holds up. If you presume he is guilty, the evidence won't change your mind.

    However, the evidence of him corking that bat by itself is thin. They are trying to say that a photo of him holding a bat in an on deck circle is the same bat because of scuff marks being in about the same place as in the grainy old photo. However, the tape is wrapped diferently on the bat, and anyone could scuff a bat to make the marks appear to be similiar.

    Again, if you assumes Pete is always guilty, then you will be convinced. But if you have read about the lengths that some people go to make counterfeits of valuable documents(to sell for huge profit), or to fake authentic sports memoraibilia, you should not take all this at face value.

    In the book 'Hustle, the Myth, Life and Lies of Pete Rose', a scathing anti-Rose biography, this is how the sports memorabilia business is described:


    And yet everyone is willing to take the word of a memorabilia collector who stands to make $100 K if he convinces people he has a 'real' Rose game used corked bat....

    Sorry, but color me skeptical.
    I have no doubt that Rose played with a corked bat at some point in his career. That's because I have no doubt that most players playing in his era played with a corked bat at some point.

    But I am just as skeptical as you as to whether or not this bat was one of them. It could be, but it's just as likely that it's not. I can count on one hand the number of dealers that I knew that were never dishonest when trying to make a sale.
    Last edited by TheNext44; 06-10-2010 at 10:40 PM.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  5. #64
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    some people will try to bash Pete every chance they get, there will be people like myself who will defend him with my every dieing breath and not believe everything negative about Pete and will listen to both sides, those who chose to believe everything negative, well... I feel sorry for them

  6. #65
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    I loved Pete as a player, He always wanted to win at all cost.

    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he corked his bat.

  7. #66
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    some people will try to bash Pete every chance they get, there will be people like myself who will defend him with my every dieing breath and not believe everything negative about Pete and will listen to both sides, those who chose to believe everything negative, well... I feel sorry for them
    I don't see how the two bolded statements go together.

  8. #67
    The wino and I know bucksfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    NW OHIO
    Posts
    3,039

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nothing like a Rose double in the gap and a cloud of dust into second.

    No pointing to the sky, no kissing any necklaces, just a cloud a dust, an adjusted helmet and a slight smile.

    Damn.... why'd he have to ruin that for us?



    Yep - not how we woul d have loved it to play out, but the original memories, kept within the context of the time, are still there. Lots of things like that unfortunately.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

  9. #68
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I don't see how the two bolded statements go together.
    well... I will

  10. #69
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,103

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Couple of thoughts here.

    Why xray the bat now? Will it change anything?

    I remember a few years ago when baseball tonight did a segment on corked bats. It may have been shortly after Sammy "I speaky no English" Sosa got caught with a corked bat. Buck Showalter was able to cork a bat on air pretty quickly. Not that I am saying he cheated, but it was evident that he knew what he was doing in corking a bat.

  11. #70
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,209

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    some people will try to bash Pete every chance they get, there will be people like myself who will defend him with my every dieing breath and not believe everything negative about Pete and will listen to both sides, those who chose to believe everything negative, well... I feel sorry for them
    People have a tendency to rationalize what they can, and forget what they can't.

  12. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Thanks for sharing that scorecard WOY. I was still listening to about 140 games a year on WLW at that time. The irritation of everything around the game of baseball didn't exist for me then. If only I didn't know now what I didn't know then....

  13. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,057

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Nothing like a Rose double in the gap and a cloud of dust into second.

    No pointing to the sky, no kissing any necklaces, just a cloud a dust, an adjusted helmet and a slight smile.
    Loved watching Rose. But it's a fact that a lot of "old school" players at the time, and fans from coast to coast, found him to be an insufferable hot dog.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  14. #73
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,209

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Loved watching Rose. But it's a fact that a lot of "old school" players at the time, and fans from coast to coast, found him to be an insufferable hot dog.
    Oh god yes, I can attest to that. My cousins (Mets fans) hated him, the whole west coast loathed him when I arrived there.

    Universally loved?

    Never Pete Rose, except in the backyards and living rooms in Rhineland.

  15. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Loved watching Rose. But it's a fact that a lot of "old school" players at the time, and fans from coast to coast, found him to be an insufferable hot dog.
    Who cares? He was beating them and they didn't like it and he didn't care if they liked it. People don't like Pierzynski, they think he's a ******. He probably is to the other team but his teammates love him.

    Insufferable hot dog? Alfonso Soriano? Sammy Sosa? Hell Pete Rose played as hard as he could all the time; is that a hot dog?

  16. #75
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Why would I be a Dodger fan?

    I never lived in LA.

    Memories have a price Icehole, Pete sets that price for guys like you who can't separate the man from the game.

    http://www.scorecardclassics.com/



Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25