Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose bats were corked

Pete Rose bats were corked

The folks from Deadspin hit home today with another controversial Pete Rose story.

Did Pete have corked bats? According to photographic evidence, he did. In an in-depth report from Barry Petchesky of Deadspin.com, two X-ray photos of separate Pete Rose model Mizuno PR4192 bats, commissioned by Rose specifically for his 1985 chase of baseballís all-time hits record, have been altered.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...e-bats-corked/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete Rose bats were corked

OK we know he was a jerk.

We know he bet on games he managed.

We know his bats, at least in 1985 season, were corked.

Dude is rapidly approaching "*" territory in my opinion. :thumbdown

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Still gotta swing the bat, make contact, and find a spot for the ball to land.

Doesn't mean anything to me.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Redlegs_87

Corked bats don't help a hitter really besides being able to bring the bat around faster. The ball comes off a corked bat much slower then a regular bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Still gotta swing the bat, make contact, and find a spot for the ball to land.

Doesn't mean anything to me.
    "Corked bats don't help power."

"Corked bats just make the bat lighter."

Sounds like there isn't any advantage to be gained from using a corked bat.

...I wonder why people risk getting caught using them?
    ... Why are they not allowed to be used then?

I agree that it doesn't really mean much at this point. But only because he a screwed up in so many other areas. Sort of like finding out the Enron crew jaywalked too.

I agree too that Pete Rose Way should be renamed. So many other talented Reds without all the baggage.

Barry Larkin Way
    Sparky Anderson Way
    etc

I hope he doesn't get in until he has long passed away.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

He probably used it in '85 because he was getting older and didn't have the bat speed he once did.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I want better proof then deadspin for one, might as well say it was on wikipidia IMO. Not saying it isnt true, but I dont trust them for anything...
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    He probably used it in '85 because he was getting older and didn't have the bat speed he once did.
    He only beats me when I deserve it.

not really surprised that a guy who spent the better part of 20 years lieing to everyone also cheated during his career. say it aint so pete!!!

saying a corked bat doesnt help a hitter is like saying steriods dont help either.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    saying a corked bat doesnt help a hitter is like saying steriods dont help either.
    It's science. Any speed gained from a corked bat is negated by having a lighter mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    It's science. Any speed gained from a corked bat is negated by having a lighter mass.
    yes i agree, and a corked bat would not help a power hitter like barry bonds or mark mcgwire, but the bat speed would help a singles or gap hitter like pete rose.

you can also cork them at the taperded end of the barrel like sammy sosa did a couple years ago which almost causes a flex motion in the bat when you swing it. in theiry lowing the bat weight without jeoperdizing the mass at the barrel of the bat.

I would not put it past him, but this is not proof

but how many times has this bat changed hands?

A) Who is to say it is a bat he really used, it would not be hard to make a bat look like one from a picture B) If it is a bat he used it may have been corked after Rose used it just to raise the value of the bat and to get 15 minutes of fame

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    The ball might not go as far but if you can not make contract without the extra speed if is a fair trade off, he was 45 years old and no longer have the bat speed to hit that ball.

I do not think a corked bat will help you hit more HRs but singles YES it will

Turn Off Ads?