Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan LaMarre

Ryan LaMarre

Feel free to post all discussion about the Reds' second round pick from THE University of Michigan here.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan LaMarre

Based on what I've read, I think this looks like a good pick who will contribute at the big league level. It's just a question of will he start or be a 4th OF.

He seems like a really good pure hitter with solid speed, the major concern is that he doesn't walk, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Feel free to post all discussion about the Reds' second round pick from THE University of Michigan here.
    Congrats to the kid. He gets to leave Michigan for Ohio.

Luckiest guy in the world.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

This guy intrigues me more than Grandal.

In all seriousness I love the pick. The guy has plus tools almost everywhere. The only thing that worries me is the thumb injury.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I hope he's more Barry Larkin than Drew Henson.

Best case scenario for this native Ohioan is that down the road he wins a game for the Reds by being hit with a pitch in a tie game with the bases loaded in the 9th.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I predict he signs for $600K and is another Chris Heisey.

Doug has his college stats on his site: www.redsminoleagues.com.

Code:
    Year	Age	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	 AVG	 OBP	 SLG	  OPS
    2010	21	148	40	62	9	5	5	40	5	20	.419	.453	.649	1.102
    2009	20	192	55	66	11	1	12	62	33	36	.344	.468	.599	1.067
    2008	19	141	27	43	5	0	3	23	11	25	.305	.376	.404	 .780
    Hard to complain about those numbers, not that I have any context for them. I'd sure like to learn more about why his walks dropped off so dramatically his Junior year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Doug has his college stats on his site: www.redsminoleagues.com.

Code:
    Year	Age	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	 AVG	 OBP	 SLG	  OPS
    2010	21	148	40	62	9	5	5	40	5	20	.419	.453	.649	1.102
    2009	20	192	55	66	11	1	12	62	33	36	.344	.468	.599	1.067
    2008	19	141	27	43	5	0	3	23	11	25	.305	.376	.404	 .780
    Hard to complain about those numbers, not that I have any context for them. I'd sure like to learn more about why his walks dropped off so dramatically his Junior year.
    Maybe he wanted to swing the bat after he missed a bunch of time.

The odd thing is that his K rate improved and BA went up dramatically. So even though his walk rate drop in a huge way, he wasn't making poor decisions in those ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Maybe he wanted to swing the bat after he missed a bunch of time.

The odd thing is that his K rate improved and BA went up dramatically. So even though his walk rate drop in a huge way, he wasn't making poor decisions in those ABs.
    Could just be he got a lot of good stuff to hit, but the Ks and Walks didn't fall in equal proportion -- seems to signal a change in approach. I only worry because you're more likely to be rewarded for just making contact with a metal bat than with a wood one.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I predict he signs for $600K and is another Chris Heisey.
    Nothing wrong with that in the second round.

Obviously, I love to get another Wolverine playing in the Reds system. While I don't love his ceiling and I'm not sure where he fits in given the presence of Stubbs and Heisey on the big league team and guys like Yorman, Sappelt, and Fellhauer in the minors, I like the fact that he's signable (after taking Grandal) and good value at #62.

All in all, he strikes me as a Twins type of pick- similiar to a Denard Span or Ben Revere.
    Go BLUE!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Nothing wrong with that in the second round.

Obviously, I love to get another Wolverine playing in the Reds system. While I don't love his ceiling and I'm not sure where he fits in given the presence of Stubbs and Heisey on the big league team and guys like Yorman, Sappelt, and Fellhauer in the minors, I like the fact that he's signable (after taking Grandal) and good value at #62.

All in all, he strikes me as a Twins type of pick- similiar to a Denard Span or Ben Revere.
    Agree.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

RMR - a few people have pointed out that LaMarre broke his thumb in the 3rd game this season which has greatly decreased his power #s. How that equates with the loss of his batting eye this year though I'm not exactly sure about.

The one thing that worries me about Heady LaMarre ("That's Headley" - shameless History of the World reference there) is that he did not fare very well with wood bats in Cape Cod last summer. And I believe that was before thumb injury, no?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?