Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Picks at a Glance

Re: 2010 Picks at a Glance

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    other than 2 3rd Basemen and a 2nd Baseman, all the position guys are CFs, SSs and Cs, I love it
    Plus, I've seen reports linking one of those 3B (Vidal) to C and the 2B (Greene) to CF.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Muenster Muenster... For a second I hoped that really was his name.

Article from the Reds website:

Their first four picks were college players before taking a trio of high school pitchers in the next three: Wes Mugarian of Pensacola Catholic in Florida, Drew Cisco of Wando in South Carolina and Jose Amezcua of Bellflower in California.

Cisco, who was selected No. 187 overall, is someone Buckley said probably fell a little bit because of signability concerns. As a backup plan if he can't reach a deal with the Reds, he has signed on to play at the University of Georgia.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Looks like 46th round pick Pat Quinn has a history (including bouncing from school to school) but also looks to be pretty talented.

The University of Maine baseball team will head into the homestretch of the 2009 season without the services of its most effective pitcher.

Freshman righthander Pat Quinn, 19, has been suspended from the team for the remainder of the season after an April 27 incident during which he received a summons for illegal possession of liquor by a minor and was subsequently arrested for disorderly conduct.

The arrest was not Quinn’s first brush with authority during his freshman year.
    Quinn reportedly was identified after he called one of the residents on the phone and used obscene language and called her names. Later that night, Quinn left a phone message for a female resident, saying he was going to “light her up.” She believed she was in physical danger.
    Quinn posted a 6-0 record this spring for the Black Bears. His 1.42 earned run average is the lowest on the squad and he registered 33 strikeouts in 38 innings. Opponents were batting .147 against him.
    http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/105351.html

To be fair, I also read a post or two somewhere saying he seems to have cleaned up his act a bit in JUCO. Hopefully, for his sake, this was just stupid college antics.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Looks like 46th round pick Pat Quinn has a history (including bouncing from school to school) but also looks to be pretty talented.

Quote:
    Quinn reportedly was identified after he called one of the residents on the phone and used obscene language and called her names. Later that night, Quinn left a phone message for a female resident, saying he was going to “light her up.” She believed she was in physical danger.

Quote:
    Quinn posted a 6-0 record this spring for the Black Bears. His 1.42 earned run average is the lowest on the squad and he registered 33 strikeouts in 38 innings. Opponents were batting .147 against him.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/105351.html

To be fair, I also read a post or two somewhere saying he seems to have cleaned up his act a bit in JUCO. Hopefully, for his sake, this was just stupid college antics.
    Great, can we trade him to the Rays or Nats? I hear those teams will tolerate those kind of guys for a while. That's a little beyond "stupid college antics".
    Last edited by redsfandan; 06-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Great, can we trade him to the Rays or Nats? I hear those teams will tolerate those kind of guys for a while. That's a little beyond "stupid college antics".
    Maybe, not knowing the whole story. It could be a lot worse or he could have been really immature as an 18 year old with alcohol involved.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Maybe, not knowing the whole story. It could be a lot worse or he could have been really immature as an 18 year old with alcohol involved.
    Maybe, but he's a 46th round draft pick. If he shows again that he has no respect for women I'd cut him.

18. Robert Maddox, OF Ohio U.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Maybe, but he's a 46th round draft pick. If he shows again that he has no respect for women I'd cut him.
    Cut him? That's pretty violent. Why not just light him up?

Cisco, No. 74 nationally, also has a nice plan B. Baseball America's Jon Manuel says Cisco is so polished as a pitcher that you have to compare him to a college pitcher who is entering the MLB draft. If Cisco doesn't get the signing bonus he wants, he can head to Athens, Ga., in the fall and be the ace of the University of Georgia's pitching staff next spring.

"It's not fair to compare him to other high school pitchers," Manuel said of Cisco. "He's atypical. Most high school pitchers have stuff and aren't polished. He's polished, so polished and mature.
    http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...viable-plan-b/

Sign Cisco!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That seems logical when you're the grandson of a long-time pitching coach.

His pop's pops was Galen Cisco, the pride of St. Marys, Ohio.

Following his playing retirement, Cisco became a respected pitching coach for the Royals, Montreal Expos, San Diego Padres, Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies. He spent six seasons with the Blue Jays (1990-1995), helping his team to won three consecutive American League East Division titles (1991-93) and two World Series (1992-93). Under his tweaking and guidance, Paul Byrd, Robert Person and Randy Wolf developed as starters with the Phillies (1997-2000).

I'd love to see how experts grade out the draft. IMO, the Red Sox did well (getting Brentz late to pair with Vitek and Cecchini in the fourth round). They're apparenty all signing as well.

Who comes after?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd love to see how experts grade out the draft. IMO, the Red Sox did well (getting Brentz late to pair with Vitek and Cecchini in the fourth round). They're apparenty all signing as well.

Who comes after?
    The Red Sox are just unreal, why they take those "name" guys and don't neccessarily overspend to get them anymore than anyone else would and do for the most part as expected with their development makes you wonder why so many teams pass over them in the 1st place. I guess Detroit has had some recent success on that front as well though they usually spend more to get it done.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?