Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading with the Yankees

Trading with the Yankees

The yankees have a good young SS prospect named Nunez. The trouble for him with the Yankees won't be looking to replace ARod, Jeter, or Cano anytime soon. I believe the Reds could pick him up if they offered Francisco who really doesn't have a place with the Reds. The Yankees could definitely replace Texiera at first with another bat. And the Reds could use a long term solution at short.

The Reds also have others who they could consider to broaden the deal. There really does not seem to be a place for Dickerson. The Yankees are very shorthanded in the outfield after Gardner and Swisher.

Then there are Harang and Herrerra. One of the reasons for Harang's problems could be that he has been a front line starter for five years in the National League. That is a long time. He probably is among the elites longevity wise in the national league. Not having elite stuff though means many batters know all about him. Herrera's stuff also has been learned by patient batters. A different league might help both tremendously. The Yankees could also use a veteran fifth starter and a left hand reliever. I don't know who else the Reds could get from the Yankees, but nunez would be a good start.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Trading with the Yankees

I can see going after Nunez because of the major league logjam ahead of him. But they have 5 quality starters that they're paying alot of money except for Phil Hughes. I doubt they want to take on Harang's salary. I could see swapping Francisco for Nunez. We need a future SS and they could use a good backup 1B, 3B, and occasional LFer.

I'd like to know more about Nunez's defensive capability though. He is hitting over .300 this season and hit .322 last season in nearly 500 at-bats at triple A. He turns 23 on June 15.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'd like to know more about Nunez's defensive capability though.

Ask and Ye shall receive...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Field...-Nunez-1.shtml

His fielding percentage is terrible.

Pass.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Field...-Nunez-1.shtml

harang pitching against the sox, and rays and even blue jays would be a disaster for him not to mention every team has a DH to face.

Harang needs to go to a ballpark that balls don't fly out of, like GABP. Some huge ballpark with deep fences.

I would think the Yanks ARE going to be looking to replace Jeter relatively soon. He'll be 36 this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I would think the Yanks ARE going to be looking to replace Jeter relatively soon. He'll be 36 this month.
    I've heard a lot of talk that they'll move him to center field sometime after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by brachial pleXUs View Post
    I've heard a lot of talk that they'll move him to center field sometime after this season.
    Then they won't be trading Nunez.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The Yankees could definitely replace Texiera at first with another bat.
    Is this a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    Is this a joke?
    I assume he means move Texiera to DH.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I assume he means move Texiera to DH.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Why? Texiera is a superb defender.

Texiera is batting .220 and has an OPS of .603. The Yankees DH's are hitting about .200 with a .600 OPS. Yeah, he is a good fielder, but first base, DH and a fourth outfielder are places the Yankees could improve.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Texiera is batting .220 and has an OPS of .603. The Yankees DH's are hitting about .200 with a .600 OPS. Yeah, he is a good fielder, but first base, DH and a fourth outfielder are places the Yankees could improve.
    It doesn't matter what his batting average is. They're paying him $20.6M a year. They're not going to replace him.

The proposal doesn't make sense to me. Yeah Jeter has 5 years left and it makes Nunez expendable, but I don't think Juan Fransisco is the right way to to go for either side. Fransisco would be a great long term solution or can cover for Rolen should he go to the DL for an extended time. Yankees already have their 3rd baseman.

Yonder Alonso on the other hand is someone the Reds could think about parting ways with if Votto can sign a long term deal to stay in Cincy. I'm not sure how highly the Yankees view him, but given our need for a long term solution at SS and the Yankees needing a DH/1B, this makes more sense.
    Last edited by DirtyBaker; 06-09-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Turn Off Ads?