Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

Re: Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

I've always wondered how much he makes/made or any of WLW's personalities. $500k a year, I know Chicago's more expensive, but wow, good for him. As the article speculates, if he does come back to Cincy, and I hope he does as he's still my favorite talk show host that I've heard on WLW, the only one that really made me think about things, I wonder where he slides in. Would they put him on 55krc? I would think they'd want him on WLW as I'm sure he remains popular here and that has a much larger signal. Put him back in his old time slot and bump sloany or move get ride of sloany all together?

I've got to imagine that Sloan, Fingers and Amazon are a little nervous at the moment as this could spell a big change for any of those 3. I imagine Tracy Jones is pretty well entrenched into his role as the antagonist to the "professional radio guy"

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can't imagine anyone in Cincinnati can approach the $500K he was making in Chicago. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. I will say that Cin Talk Radio has taken a big step back since his departure. I'd love to see him back on the airwaves here. I'd be fine with him replacing anyone on WLW except Willie. WLW has maintained their #1 status w/o McConnell and since he got a settlement from WGN, he's not starving right now so we'll have to be patient and see how this plays out

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He'll have a place in Cincinnati radio if he wants it -- but, like I said a long time ago on this thread -- it's fairly well known in the industry that WLW's last offer to McConnell before he left for WGN wasn't nearly in-step for a person who moved the needle and brought in as much advertiser revenue as he did.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

And he's back. 3-6 with Fingers beginning in January.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news...nnati-s-wlw-am
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Hey, that may be listenable without Jones.

I love Chicago, but some of these media pieces out of Chicago are just so damn condescending that its annoying.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

8. Likes:

George Anderson (10-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I love Chicago, but some of these media pieces out of Chicago are just so damn condescending that its annoying.
    The guy that ran the Chicago Radio and Media site named Larz truly hated McConnell for some unknown reason. I hate the phrase "bullying" but boy did he bully Mike anytime his name came up on the board.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I must be the only person who enjoys Tracy, he makes me laugh.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

11. Likes:

bengalsown (10-21-2013),LoganBuck (10-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Has this been confirmed by anyone yet, like WLW or Mike himself? I can't see him doing a radio show with a partner. I wouldn't think that would appeal to him

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Has this been confirmed by anyone yet, like WLW or Mike himself? I can't see him doing a radio show with a partner. I wouldn't think that would appeal to him
    Yeah, that sounds pretty suspect.

Plus, I can't see him doing afternoon drive. You're stuck breaking for traffic & weather constantly, which makes it difficult to have longer interviews with people or do the type of caller-driven material that has been McConnell's strong point.

FWIW, no one I've talked to has heard anything about this.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Darryl Parks has been fired by Clear Channel.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2013/...clear-channel/
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Mike was on with Willie today at one and there were no definitive announcements. Mike made it clear that his first choice would be to replace Willie but Willie would not commit to retiring. Willie tried to talk him into replacing Darryl Parks on Sat mornings and all Mike would say is that he's not ruling anything out. For now he's still living in Chicago and enjoying his "hiatus". He did intimate that he won't continue living there when his settlement money runs out because it is an expensive city to live. Willie ended by asking him about Obamacare and Mike's answer was not flattering to the President and should probably be left to the political section...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2013/...yssey=obinsite
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 11-13-2013 at 03:15 PM.

I heard the conversation, and I found it all strange. They didn't really talk opinions much, didn't really talk about anything much. If Mike is coming back to WLW, its probably an oral agreement, I'm guessing the stipualation of his settlement is that he can't work for another radio station or sign a contract with another station until the end of this calander year, so from that regard, I didn't really expect any kind of announcement other than perhaps a definetive "no" if maybe he was going to try his hand at something else.

The conversation of Willie retiring was interesting, but given the history of the station, seems more like one of their typical radio setups than anything else. I could see Willie semi-retiring from radio to give him more time for his TV schedule, then subbing back in on a semi-regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I heard the conversation, and I found it all strange. They didn't really talk opinions much, didn't really talk about anything much. If Mike is coming back to WLW, its probably an oral agreement, I'm guessing the stipualation of his settlement is that he can't work for another radio station or sign a contract with another station until the end of this calander year, so from that regard, I didn't really expect any kind of announcement other than perhaps a definetive "no" if maybe he was going to try his hand at something else.

The conversation of Willie retiring was interesting, but given the history of the station, seems more like one of their typical radio setups than anything else. I could see Willie semi-retiring from radio to give him more time for his TV schedule, then subbing back in on a semi-regular basis.
    What did you make of the awkward silence from Willie on a couple instances? Willie's not held speechless very often

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What did you make of the awkward silence from Willie on a couple instances? Willie's not held speechless very often
    Willie was doing that for dramatic effect.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?