Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Canada will pay up to C$750 million in compensation to thousands of aboriginals

Canada will pay up to C$750 million in compensation to thousands of aboriginals

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada will pay up to C$750 million ($598 million) in compensation to thousands of aboriginals who were removed as children from their families decades ago, a top official said on Friday, promising to end “a terrible legacy.”

The move is the latest bid by the Liberal government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to repair ties with Canada’s often-marginalized indigenous population, which says it has been the victim of systemic racism for centuries.

In the so-called “Sixties Scoop,” welfare authorities took around 20,000 aboriginal children from their homes between the 1960s and 1980s and placed them in foster care or allowed them to be adopted by non-indigenous families.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Canada will pay up to C$750 million in compensation to thousands of aboriginals

Wait, WHAT?! They basically came in and stole children to put them up for adoption for other families? In the 1960's-1980's?!

Not that it was ever a good thing to do, but it would seem far less shocking in the 1760's than the 1960's given how far we've come..... Holy crap.

Re: Canada will pay up to C$750 million in compensation to thousands of aboriginals

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Wait, WHAT?! They basically came in and stole children to put them up for adoption for other families? In the 1960's-1980's?!

Not that it was ever a good thing to do, but it would seem far less shocking in the 1760's than the 1960's given how far we've come..... Holy crap.
    Crazy, isn't it? There are towns that had suicide rates this last year above 25%! Their indigenous have been severely repressed and disadvantaged.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I just want to know where the money is going to come from. They don't have C$750M. They don't have huge debt, but that's because they don't spend what they don't have (one of the reasons they haven't been able to take care of the indigenous with social programs, etc.). Where this money will come from is a good question. It's a grand gesture, but at this point, just a gesture.

So how do these numbers work out? What kind of money can each victim expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I just want to know where the money is going to come from. They don't have C$750M. They don't have huge debt, but that's because they don't spend what they don't have (one of the reasons they haven't been able to take care of the indigenous with social programs, etc.). Where this money will come from is a good question. It's a grand gesture, but at this point, just a gesture.
    Well, it isn't that much money. It comes out to about $25 per person, and it's a one-time payment. More is spent at Starbucks in a year there than that. I mean, they stole children, so I guess they will just have to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, it isn't that much money. It comes out to about $25 per person, and it's a one-time payment. More is spent at Starbucks in a year there than that. I mean, they stole children, so I guess they will just have to figure it out.
    750,000,000 ÷ 20,000 is 37,500, not 25.

Good. As a parent, I can say no amount of money would be enough.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

10. Likes:

nmculbreth (10-07-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So wait, who are they paying? The remaining parents? The children? Both?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    750,000,000 ÷ 20,000 is 37,500, not 25.
    I was referring to what each Canadian citizen would have to pay to come up with $750M. It isn't much.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Let's ask tough questions gotta make sure not one cent goes to anybody who doesnt deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Let's ask tough questions gotta make sure not one cent goes to anybody who doesnt deserve it!
    Not sure what you're referencing here, but I'm certain that the solicitors will get their share. Doubt seriously if they'll be a puff of pro bono towards the distribution of this pittance of an offering. To put the amount in perspective, it's slightly more than half what a judge ordered the NFL to pay to it's players for 20+ years of collusion regarding the effects of concussions.

I have to doubt the sincerity here with the knowledge of current atrocities that are rampant throughout the indigenous community.

As I suspected, there's nothing altruistic about it. It's a settlement to end a series of lawsuits that 20,000 have filed, and naturally, after these 20,000 get their approximately C$50,000 (approx. US$37,000), less solicitors' fees, etc., they will have to have signed a promise to sue no more. Those who are receiving this "compensation" are not happy with the amount, but this was the judge's decision.

Band-Aids.

As someone that avoids a certain forum on this site, I'd be remiss if I did not point out this probably belongs there, as I can see this one starting to circle the political drain.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    As someone that avoids a certain forum on this site, I'd be remiss if I did not point out this probably belongs there, as I can see this one starting to circle the political drain.
    Yeah,...it's too bad, too.

Turn Off Ads?