Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

I have to think there are more than a few Mike McConnell fans on this board, with WLW being such a big presence in the tri-state area...it is with much dismay (no sarcasm...I am serious) that I heard Mike is leaving to go to WGN in (ugh) Chicago. I have listened to Mike for most of my life (I go back to his 4 hour days...10 to 2) and have always found him to be a great listen. No, I don't agree with everything he espouses---but do think he possessed the most in the way of common sense and levelheadedness (is that even a word?) as opposed to most radio yakkers.

Plus, I always looked forward to the 11 am hour on Fridays for the "lighter topic" and of course, his Opening Day show; usually with Tracy Jones and recently with Eddie Fingers as well. I will miss him and wish him the best in Chicago. Unfortunately, though, WLW is not giving him a chance to say goodbye--they have said he will not be allowed to do a farewell show....

Re: Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

Wow

I have listened to McConnell daily for years now.

Thank God for internet radio.

I will follow him to WGN no doubt.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

That is the beautiful thing about the internet...we can now listen to anyone anywhere...but unfortunately Mikey will be discussing Chicago issues that I will have no clue about...

Man, this is NOT good news! I guess I thought he'd be at WLW his entire career.

I don't get a good daytime signal to WLW, but I download his podcasts frequently. I can still do that from WGN, of course, but I'm not sure it will be the same with the local "flavor" being Chicago instead of Cincinnati. We shall see.

Big loss for WLW, regardless, though. McConnell is one of the best, as evidenced by his apparent following with his syndicated weekend show. I'll be surprised if they're able to replace him with anyone as good.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Early odds on favorite to replace Mike---Scott Sloan. Sloanie is ok, but not really a good fit for the late morning slot...better suited for the night shift..

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm glad I got an opportunity to produce his show for a while before I was let go. He and Willie.

He'll do great in Chicago.

He'll also be working for Randy Michaels again, and in one of the largest markets in the country..a win win for all.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He'll also be working for Randy Michaels again, and in one of the largest markets in the country..a win win for all.
    Yeah, a 'win-win for all' except for listeners here in the tri-state.

Man, it has been about 3 weeks now and I am really missing Mike in the mornings (and on Saturdays) on WLW.

He was by far my favorite talker on radio...lots of varied topics, local and national...sense of humor...good guests.

I can't imagine how 'LW will be able to find anyone to replace him who will come close to measuring up.

They cant replace Mike...Sloanie is ok...but nothing can take the place of the common sense of McConnell...I really miss him on Fridays...

I can't wait to hear McConnell in a new market like Chicago. His show over the years somewhat got stale because so many people over the years learned not to call in and argue with him because they found out they wouldn't win. The people of Chitown are in for a treat.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    They cant replace Mike...Sloanie is ok...but nothing can take the place of the common sense of McConnell...I really miss him on Fridays...
    Sloan is adapting to the time slot. He is getting more tolerable.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I am sure he will do great in Chi-town...and I do wish him well...just cant believe he wont be on "The Big One"...by the way, Matt...did you, Willie and Seg eat the Anthony-Thomas candy I brought you guys or just pitch them in the trash??

When was that? I didn't get any candy! Seg probably ate them. :

Oh, I begged Willie to let me and my wife sit in on a "Stooge Report" last summer...and I brought the candy as a gift to represent "Columbus"....hopefully Seggie enjoyed them...

I wasn't there last summer. I was laid off in late April of '09.

Wait, it was before that, we came down before attending a live "Hot Stove League" show at the Reds HOF...you were there....the infamous Matt St---man..

Turn Off Ads?