Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

Someone said it best a long time ago, regarding 700 WLW: "The first casualty is the truth."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Likes:

Chip R (11-15-2013),membengal (10-05-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Someone said it best a long time ago, regarding 700 WLW: "The first casualty is the truth."
    Once you figure out their pulling your leg, it's much easier to take...

That station is like professional wrestling.

5. Likes:

Chip R (11-15-2013)

Cincinnati.com is reporting that Jim Scott will announce his retirement tomorrow at 7:07 AM and that Mike McConnell will replace him. I don't think that's a good spot for McConnell but it is a full time gig, I suppose. The morning show moves so fast, he won't have a chance to ask many questions of guests or delve into subjects in depth which is what he does so well. it's also rarely current events that invite debate. It's usually just hard news

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Cincinnati.com is reporting that Jim Scott will announce his retirement tomorrow at 7:07 AM and that Mike McConnell will replace him. I don't think that's a good spot for McConnell but it is a full time gig, I suppose. The morning show moves so fast, he won't have a chance to ask many questions of guests or delve into subjects in depth which is what he does so well. it's also rarely current events that invite debate. It's usually just hard news
    They kept promoting a big change coming tomorrow and my hunch was McConnell was coming back full time. It is a different spot for him to fill but I am happy he is back full time.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

8. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-10-2015)

I agree with the thoughts of sea ray, that I don't think the morning drive time fits in with what McConnell did during his mid-morning era. However, it is entirely possible that the morning drive format that we've grown used to with Jim Scott could be altered in a way to fit Mike's style. Honestly, it should be altered otherwise they're sacrificing his interview and quick thinking skills. I'm thinking something similar to what Brian Thomas does on 55krc in the mornings. You still get the traffic and weather reports, as well as news, etc.. its just spaced out more and allows Brian more time for interviews and listener interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    They kept promoting a big change coming tomorrow and my hunch was McConnell was coming back full time. It is a different spot for him to fill but I am happy he is back full time.
    Do you listen to the Big One all the way up I 74 in Indy?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    However, it is entirely possible that the morning drive format that we've grown used to with Jim Scott could be altered in a way to fit Mike's style. Honestly, it should be altered otherwise they're sacrificing his interview and quick thinking skills.
    That would be a good move on their part. We'll see how flexible they are over there

I started listening to Trumpy way back in the late 70's as a kid and have been a WLW listener pretty consistently since then. No radio in Indy is nearly as good IMO.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

13. Likes:

redsfanmia (03-10-2015)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I listen to it all the way up here between Ft. Wayne and South Bend.

I listen to Jim Scott on my way to work up here north of Muncie. I'm going to miss him.

Man, I used to wake up to Jim Scott as a kid on WSAI. He's an institution; I don't see how McConnell fits in there at all, really, but I haven't listened to WLW except for Reds games since Gary Burbank left. I miss the Synonymous Bengal and Gilbert Gnarley.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

17. Likes:

KittyDuran (03-10-2015)

I see that Tracy Jones has been fired from WLW. Nobody's saying why. Anyone know why? Will anyone miss him? I'm not sure how he kept a radio job for so long. I've never been a fan

I see that Tracy Jones has been fired from WLW. Nobody's saying why. Anyone know why? Will anyone miss him? I'm not sure how he kept a radio job for so long. I've never been a fan
    He was a dbag.

20. Likes:

mth123 (10-04-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    He was a dbag.
    Yeah, but if that was going to be why they fired him, he'd have been gone a long, long time ago.

22. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    He was a dbag.
    Did you know that he played for 5 Major League Baseball teams?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

24. Likes:

goreds2 (10-10-2017),nmculbreth (10-05-2017)

Turn Off Ads?