Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course Harford signed.... he had 18 career college at bats despite being 23 years old. If they offered him more than 3 figures, he should consider himself eternally thankful.
    $100 and a shirt that says Potential player to be named?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    $100 and a shirt that says Potential player to be named?
    He might make a minor league roster.

Looks like we won't know anything on Mugarian for another couple of weeks at the earliest

Link

Resident PED Expert

Of course Harford signed.... he had 18 career college at bats despite being 23 years old. If they offered him more than 3 figures, he should consider himself eternally thankful.
    This pick really has you up in arms doesn't it? I remember reading the draft day thread and you seemed besides yourself. Why would they take him with a pick earlier than the 50th if it was a favor? Seems really odd to me as well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    This pick really has you up in arms doesn't it? I remember reading the draft day thread and you seemed besides yourself. Why would they take him with a pick earlier than the 50th if it was a favor? Seems really odd to me as well.
    It does because it simply doesn't make sense. He wasn't good enough to even make the team at Notre Dame aas a 22 year old. He wasn't good enough to start there as a 23 year old. It isn't like he is a pitcher who can throw 90+ and just has no control. He is a catcher who got 18 at bats in college through the age of 23. There was no chance someone else drafts him. Why waste a pick? I know there were guys out there with talent available who would have signed. It simply doesn't make sense.

I don't think it is ever worth getting upset about a pick after the 30th round. JMO.

It's like getting really angry about an NFL pick in the 7th round.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't think it is ever worth getting upset about a pick after the 30th round. JMO.

It's like getting really angry about an NFL pick in the 7th round.
    So you wouldn't be upset by a 7th round NFL pick who wasn't good enough to make his college team and had say, 3 downs played in his college career?

So you wouldn't be upset by a 7th round NFL pick who wasn't good enough to make his college team and had say, 3 downs played in his college career?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=101042

But I don't disagree with you. Curious, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Go BLUE!!!

It does because it simply doesn't make sense.
    If you follow the draft closely, you know that "nepotism" picks happen. Last year, Jocketty's kid got taken by the Cubs somewhere in the 40s. It just so happens that Harford's dad is a scout for the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=101042

But I don't disagree with you. Curious, to say the least.
    There is a huge huge difference between being beat out by two guys that were Heisman winners and both, what top 5 picks? vs not playing over some nobody. Cassels talent was never denied but he just had better players ahead of him.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Hell the Braves drafted Schuerholz's kid in like the 7th round out of Auburn and that kid, while a starter in college, had ZERO potential as a professional player.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    There are like 12 other threads in which you can debate the merits of drafting strategies guys. Can we keep the discussion in this one to who the Reds actually got to sign on the dotted line?
    I agree with this.

It's a bit of bummer to see this thread with new posts so regularly when in fact, there isn't any news.

I've been guilty of it too (especially as I am posting this!) but it would be nice to limit the discussion unless someone has actually been signed.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I agree with this.

It's a bit of bummer to see this thread with new posts so regularly when in fact, there isn't any news.

I've been guilty of it too (especially as I am posting this!) but it would be nice to limit the discussion unless someone has actually been signed.
    Agreed - please use the many other threads for draft discussion.

From Fay:

The Reds have made initial contact with the agents representing top pick Yasmani Grandal.

“We’ve exchanged some emails,” Walt Jocketty said. “We’ll probably talk next week. We wanted to give him some time.”

Grandal’s University of Miami team was eliminated from NCAA Tournament. The deadline for draftees to sign is Aug. 16. Yonder Alonso went up to minutes of the deadline in 2008. Mike Leake signed on the deadline day last year as well.
    Maybe they want to get him signed before they can make a decision on whether to include Mesoraco in a trade for pitching?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?